Will any company install a WIRED home security system in a finished house?

Hi,

I'd like to have a wired security system installed in my house. Is it reasonable to try and find a local company that will install a wired system? It seems like they wall want to install wireless systems.

Thanks! John

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

I prefer to install hardwired systems. Where are you located and what is your budget??

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

RHC: Yes, wired is always better. Many companies chasing that long term monitoring contract push wireless systems because 1- it doesn't take a trained installer to do it...and 2- it takes far less time to do wireless versus the same coverage with a wired system. It's all about money...

Reply to
tourman

When you say "all " .,... how many is that? If you've only called a few companys or if you've only called theNational, "free" or "low cost" companys, you can only expect them to want to install wireless systems. If they're going to give you something for "nothing" they want that "nothing" to be the least expensive ... for them. These companys are only after your monthly monitoring fee anyway and don't install "security" systems. Call in a few independent companys and ask them what they think about wired systems versus wireless. Anyone who says that wireless is better .... throw them out. Anyone who says its almost equivalent but has some drawbacks .... question them further and find out the actual basis for comparison. After hearing the truth, you may actually weight the differences and decide a wireless system would suit you ....

Or not! For instance, sometimes, due to construction issues in your house, wireless or partial wireless may be the least expensive and least destructive means of doing the job. Like, a sun room on a slab with a cathederal ceiling? Where would you run the wires?

Reply to
Jim

I used to specialize in hardwiring the homes other folks said couldn't be wired. One of the hardest I ever did was a 2 story plastered adobe. We grooved the plaster, replastered, and repainted. There might be somebody like that around were you live. It wasn't cheap, and I felt like I should have bid it even higher when we were finally done. It also took a week to do.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

It's a matter of time and how much money you want to spend. Yes, wired is better (unless you have rodents, no attic, concrete slab, tile floors, etc) but will cost you more on labor less on equipment. Wireless on the other hand the equipment is more expensive, but is much cheaper to install (shorter time) and there's a small overhead cost of replacement batteries every 3-5 years.

And wireless is very reliable these days, 20 years ago it was a different story; we'd spend 3 days wiring a house with 2 guys that we could do now with wireless in 4-5 hours.

Takes yer pick.

Reply to
Robosama

John, Where are you? City/State? Allan

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.