Who comes up with these corporate alarm names?

APX is now Vivant Brinks became Broadview etc etc. who comes up with this shit all it is new name to get away from a bad one nothing ever changes have 2 friends dads who are paying $43.00 a month for a crap system for 5 years they never use.

Oh that's right APX is going to bring home automation to Joe home owner as Vivant I will believe that one when i see. Joe home owner can not use there alarm let alone automation . cant even program a VCR.

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

APX is now vivint with a small v Brinks became Broadview etc etc. who comes up with this shit all it is new name to get away from a bad one nothing ever changes have 2 friends dads who are paying $43.00 a month for a crap system for 5 years they never use.

Oh that's right APX is going to bring home automation to Joe home owner as vivint I will believe that one when i see. Joe home owner can not use there alarm let alone automation . cant even program a VCR.

Reply to
nick markowitz

RHC; Nick, your post brings to mind three truisms in our business.....:))

1- Far too many people continue to be completely stupid when shopping for security systems, actually believing you can get something for nothing, and as a result, continue to get suckered into these poor systems for far too much money by far too many scuzzy companies in our industry. 2- There are a lot of alarm system buyers who simply shouldn't have alarms because they are simply incapable of using them correctly 3- Big companies continue to actually believe you can turn over a new leaf businesswise by simply changing your name without solving the original problems that caused the need to divorce yourself from the original image to to begin with.

Sometimes when I feel most cynical, it seems to me that all you need to do to stand out from the crowd in our industry is to be honest, and do quality work at a fair price!

Sad really......

Reply to
tourman

The big secret to being a success in business that I've never told anyone .....

Tell your customer what you're going to do ...... and do it.

There .... it's finally out ..... now everyone will know how to be a success.

Reply to
Jim

All the big company's my way can never figure out how I get work I get when I am a little one man company. and they never will.:)

Reply to
nick markowitz

Nice opinion you have of customers

I would imagine the home automation they refer to is using Z-Wave through a 2GIG GoControl which is fairly simple stuff

Reply to
mleuck

What's a VCR? Is that something like an 8 track?

From nothing in particular that you've said in the past, it seems to me that it's about the same opinion that you have of installers.

On the other hand, there are "techie" customers and installers or not. Some people "get it" and some don't. Of those that are not, some of them would like to be "techie" and I can usually convince them, to some point, that the equipment is easy to operate. Then there are those, (both installer and customers) who just can't "get it" or refuse to "get it". Such as my wife.

One way to take advantage of this in the AV field, is that most often the guy is usually the customer for the surround sound system and the wife is not. So that both parties get what they want ...... this is where a $400.00 universal remote control for the Mrs comes in. In an alarm sale .... the $200.00 two way keyfob remote is the clincher.

So it all depends on how you approach the problem.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.