What's up?

Is everybody as busy as I am?

Can't seem to catch up.

I'm scheduled out about 3 to 4 weeks now and no sign of letting up.

All kinds of things.

Right now I'm working on a system that was originally installed in the 90's . I don't understand how this alarm company was thinking. They've got 10 moti on detectors, only two out of seven doors with contacts on them. Only one c asement window in each room with an alarm screen. One keypad situated betwe en the two entry doors with a Fifty second delay. Pull traps across the bas ement windows. And one zone on the keypad zone list labeled as fire but the re are no smoke detectors.

They want to keep the motion detectors only because the end user is used to them causing (in my opinion) the customer to never arms the system when th ey are home (against my advice) I've disconnected the alarm screens and re placed them with wireless glass break detectors. Put wireless xmters on the remaining doors. added six wireless smoke detectors. (It's really a rambli ng laid out house) Finding the transformer took at least a half hour. it wa s buried above the drop ceiling in a closet in the basement.

Problem is, The lady is a practicing psychologist, and I can only get in th e house when she doesn't have patients. This is my second week on the job. Can't leave any gear on the job. Each time I return I have to set up all ov er again. It takes me about an hour to switch gears from the job I was at t he day before to get my head back into where I left off.

Other than that, I'm changing out 3G radios. People moving from one house t o another. New people moving in. The real estate business is just going wil d in this area. Houses are selling in just a few days after being put on th e market. Cuomo and De Blasio have screwed up New York City and anyone who can afford it is moving out.

And with the defunding of police, every one wants a firearm and an alarm sy stem.

Reply to
Jim Davis
Loading thread data ...

For a grand total of half a day I had cleared every job off my board. That day I got 3 custom jobs in and a recut. One of the new custom jobs was for nine (9) unique custom molds each one requiring some time doing CAD. Since then another recut, and a couple more customs have come in and I am back up to about 8 weeks minimum to start new jobs.

In my "spare" time I have been working on "Yet Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished."

Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished - Part 1

formatting link

Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished - PART 2

formatting link

Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished Part 3a - Is 10+ Year Old Foam Any Good

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Jim, only think I've been doing is one (1) fire alarm inspection.. (and its was 7 months late) NO body wants any body in their house these days.. When something breaks they just do without...

The half ass governor we have has everyone scared out of their minds... Even the Health Dept. won't let anybody in to service their system. With all the pending lawsuits against the governor, he's taken to making "Serious suggestions" instead of "orders" ..

The real sorry part is that the only ones dying the last several months have all been over 70.. and even though they were listed as cov.. the medical exam says heart failure is the largest group cause..

Some of the country boys have taken to "packing" full invasion gear, when out in public...

Everyone is just hoping a "cowboy LEO" doesn't get carried away.. It could get very "harry" in a real hurry...

Reply to
RTS

Hi Jim et al,

I too have been busy. Lots of crazy stuff happening. Far to crazy to even type about it. Can only hope that the stuff has gone away.

As a local friend has mentioned I may have the NXVirus20!!

Hope all goes better for all.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

motion detectors, only two out of seven doors with contacts on them. Only o ne casement window in each room with an alarm screen. One keypad situated b etween the two entry doors with a Fifty second delay. Pull traps across the basement windows. And one zone on the keypad zone list labeled as fire but there are no smoke detectors.

d to them causing (in my opinion) the customer to never arms the system whe n they are home (against my advice) I've disconnected the alarm screens an d replaced them with wireless glass break detectors. Put wireless xmters on the remaining doors. added six wireless smoke detectors. (It's really a ra mbling laid out house) Finding the transformer took at least a half hour. i t was buried above the drop ceiling in a closet in the basement.

n the house when she doesn't have patients. This is my second week on the j ob. Can't leave any gear on the job. Each time I return I have to set up al l over again. It takes me about an hour to switch gears from the job I was at the day before to get my head back into where I left off.

se to another. New people moving in. The real estate business is just going wild in this area. Houses are selling in just a few days after being put o n the market. Cuomo and De Blasio have screwed up New York City and anyone who can afford it is moving out.

Hi Bob,

Nice project. Are going to or did you finish it?

Years and years ago (early 20's) I took a few courses on small engine and m arine engine repair. I had an idea that was new around here about servicing outboard engines. Almost anyone with an outboard engine trailered their bo at home. So I had planned to get a walk in van. Fabricate a water tank in t he van to service outboards at peoples homes. Of course back then, outboard weren't as big as they are now and could have easily been carried into the van. As I say --- no one was doing that around here at the time so I thoug ht It would work. But, I just couldn't afford to finance it at the time so the idea just sort of slipped away. After a time, I did see others who had the same idea but as outboards got bigger, the home servicing business fade d out. But I always was able to use the things I had learned in engine repa ir to my personal benefit since I eventually became an avid boater and took many, many cruising vacations in the Caribbean and South America. Many a time my engine knowledge saved my ass as well as being able to help others on the water. As time went on, however, I got further and further away from the mechanical and got more deeply involved with the electronics industry and trade. And NOW, I look under the hood of may car and it looks like a pl umber's nightmare. If it has a set of points and a carborator, I can fix it but electronic ignition and fuel injection I don't know a thing about.

Your ability to fabricate your own parts is certainly a definite advantage that not too many people have.

Reply to
Jim Davis

On 10/30/2020 10:00 AM, Jim Davis wrote: > On Wednesday, October 28, 2020 at 1:18:49 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: >> On 10/28/2020 9:15 AM, Jim Davis wrote: >>> Is everybody as busy as I am? >>> >>> Can't seem to catch up. >>> >>> I'm scheduled out about 3 to 4 weeks now and no sign of letting up. >>> >>> All kinds of things. >>> >>> Right now I'm working on a system that was originally installed in the 90's. >>> I don't understand how this alarm company was thinking. They've got

10 motion detectors, only two out of seven doors with contacts on them. Only one casement window in each room with an alarm screen. One keypad situated between the two entry doors with a Fifty second delay. Pull traps across the basement windows. And one zone on the keypad zone list labeled as fire but there are no smoke detectors. >>> >>> They want to keep the motion detectors only because the end user is used to them causing (in my opinion) the customer to never arms the system when they are home (against my advice) I've disconnected the alarm screens and replaced them with wireless glass break detectors. Put wireless xmters on the remaining doors. added six wireless smoke detectors. (It's really a rambling laid out house) Finding the transformer took at least a half hour. it was buried above the drop ceiling in a closet in the basement. >>> >>> Problem is, The lady is a practicing psychologist, and I can only get in the house when she doesn't have patients. This is my second week on the job. Can't leave any gear on the job. Each time I return I have to set up all over again. It takes me about an hour to switch gears from the job I was at the day before to get my head back into where I left off. >>> >>> Other than that, I'm changing out 3G radios. People moving from one house to another. New people moving in. The real estate business is just going wild in this area. Houses are selling in just a few days after being put on the market. Cuomo and De Blasio have screwed up New York City and anyone who can afford it is moving out. >>> >>> And with the defunding of police, every one wants a firearm and an alarm system. >> >> >> For a grand total of half a day I had cleared every job off my board. >> That day I got 3 custom jobs in and a recut. One of the new custom jobs >> was for nine (9) unique custom molds each one requiring some time doing >> CAD. Since then another recut, and a couple more customs have come in >> and I am back up to about 8 weeks minimum to start new jobs. >> >> In my "spare" time I have been working on "Yet Another Boat Project That >> May Never Get Finished." >> >> Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished - Part 1 >>
formatting link
>> >> Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished - PART 2 >>
formatting link
>> >> Another Boat Project That May Never Get Finished Part 3a - Is 10+ Year >> Old Foam Any Good >>
formatting link
>> >> -- >> This email has been checked for viruses by AVG. >>
formatting link
> > Hi Bob, > > Nice project. Are going to or did you finish it? > > Years and years ago (early 20's) I took a few courses on small engine and marine engine repair. I had an idea that was new around here about servicing outboard engines. Almost anyone with an outboard engine trailered their boat home. So I had planned to get a walk in van. Fabricate a water tank in the van to service outboards at peoples homes. Of course back then, outboard weren't as big as they are now and could have easily been carried into the van. As I say --- no one was doing that around here at the time so I thought It would work. But, I just couldn't afford to finance it at the time so the idea just sort of slipped away. After a time, I did see others who had the same idea but as outboards got bigger, the home servicing business faded out. But I always was able to use the things I had learned in engine repair to my personal benefit since I eventually became an avid boater and took many, many cruising vacations in the Caribbean and South America. Many a time my engine knowledge saved my ass as well as being able to help others on the water. As time went on, however, I got further and further away from the mechanical and got more deeply involved with the electronics industry and trade. And NOW, I look under the hood of may car and it looks like a plumber's nightmare. If it has a set of points and a carborator, I can fix it but electronic ignition and fuel injection I don't know a thing about. > > Your ability to fabricate your own parts is certainly a definite advantage that not too many people have. >

That project is on going and as titled may never be finished. The day before yesterday I took my "250HP" race motor off of the Cherry picker where it had been hanging for two years, so I can pull the 40hp motor off of the Tracker Super 17 Pro in the video. First I had to reinforce my big stand because its been sitting outside for several years and the wood is all dried out and risks splitting. The Tracker is way under powered, but if I sell it after I am done I'll probably put the 40 back on.

P.S. I'm not a total engine neophyte when it comes to newer motors, but the first thing I do before tackling any model I haven't worked on before is buy a Clymer or equivalent manual. That 250 is a computer controlled direct injection electronically fired hot rod. Eventually I'll have to get an aftermarket reader programmer for it from Sierra.

Being able to make parts is a blessing and a curse. I've been known to spend all day making a ten dollar part, but I have also been able to make parts I just can't find sometimes.

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.