What's the secret to high quality night time images?

My daytime pics are OK but the nighttime pics are terribly grainy like a NASA moon landing.

My current setup includes a standalone DVR set to maximum possible recording quality which is 720 X 480 at 30 IPS, divided by four channels = 7.5 IPS per channel.

All of my cameras are color 1/4" CCD, 380 lines with IR LEDs.

The cable runs to the cameras are 50-75 feet each.

The highest quality weatherproof cameras I've seen available are 1/3" CCD, 420 line. How much of an improvement would these be over my existing cams? And how many lines can you get on a 720 X 480? My manual skips this fact.

My dream camera is a weatherproof, adjustable 4-50mm remote zoom control camera with auto iris, auto focus, and a 250 foot IR range and provides crystal clear night time images guaranteed or triple your money back. It remains pie in the sky and criminals remain loose, wild, and free.

I may not get my dream camera but there must be some middle ground that's better than a '67 moon landing. Ideas?

Pokey.

Reply to
Pokey
Loading thread data ...

You won't get good low light performance from most color cameras (even with the IR illuminators). I think it's Sanyo that makes a colour/black&white camera that switches between modes automatically when the light level falls below a certain threshold (and visa-versa). You might be better off improving the quality of the scene lighting. Some good Halide lamps for instance...

Reply to
Frank Olson

try

formatting link

Reply to
J.

And keep in mind, the main criteria you're looking at is the 'lux' rating, which tells you the least level of light the camera is sensitive to - the smaller the number, the better.

Also, when you're looking for a lens to go with it, look for something with the widest aperture (lowest f-stop number) you can find - it'll cost more and be somewhat bulkier, and you'll probably have to go with a fixed focal length rather than a zoom to get the best results, but the more light the lens lets through, the better your picture (you do lose some depth of field this way though, so focus will be become really tricky).

Or you could just go with a buncha motion-activated flood lights.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Further to my previous post, this site has a really good "Lens Selection Guide"...

formatting link

Reply to
Matt Ion

Thanks, their products look great and I've been trying to get them to tell me just exactly how to buy something from them. They do not actually sell anything and would not release the name of any sales outlets without first contacting me via phone. They apparently have some kind of strange tightly controlled monopoly on night vision technology. I am awaiting their call.

Pokey.

Reply to
Pokey

I seriously doubt that

I am awaiting their call.

Reply to
Jose

Like most manufacturers in this industry, they don't sell to end-users. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying so, but any corporate ADT branch can sell you their equipment through the normal core commercial channel. 1-800-adt-asap.

Reply to
J.

Jeeeeeze .....what a masochist!

One more little tidbit to help endear you and ole ADT to the hearts of installers everywhere.

Reply to
Jim

"Gee, where should I buy my parts? Should I buy direct from ADT, or from Bass Home Electronics? Decisions, decisions..."

Reply to
Nomen Nescio

They have about the same BBB rating.

>
Reply to
Bob Worthy

Try Bosch Dinion cameras.

formatting link

Reply to
Mark M.

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.