What are these security camera files?

post a message over at

formatting link
you may get more response there.

Reply to
cctvbahamas
Loading thread data ...

I've been given some files on CD to re-encode as TV-displayable video for a law firm. All they can tell me is that the files are video taken by a security camera, delivered to the defense, as discovery evidence, by the police.

XXX is the case number, which I obviously won't post here.

On the CD are three folders, each labelled XXX followed by a number.

In each folder is a program, which is named UBPlayer.exe, and associated ..dll and .bpl and tbl and cfg files. When run, its interface says USBird Player Version 2.37. The program resembles an old, incomprehensible DOS program, and I have no idea how to make it work.

There are two sub-folders in each of these folders, labelled 'Codec' and XXX-AM. Inside the Codec folder is an installer for a Lead Codec, named LEADMCMPCodec.exe. The installer requires a password to run, which was kindly provided by the police, even though the codec is of no use with the accompanying files. The other folder, XXX-AM, contains files labelled XXX-AM.001, XXX-AM.IDS, and XXX-AM.RCD. The converter program LEADMCMPCodec.exe installs along with the codec itself will not recognize the files.

I have looked everywhere online and can find no info about these. I've installed and run every JPEG2000 wavelet reader, and security camera software, and MJPEG codecs I could find, with no success in playing these files. The .001 files are not RARs. I've tried loading the files into Photoshop, Paint Shop Pro, Premiere, After Effects, and Vegas in desperation. No luck.

Calls to the police who provided the files for clarification or further help are greeted with "It should play in any DVD player you put it in. It plays fine here - whoa, gotta run >slam phone down

Reply to
ƒ®ànK panű¢©I

Thanks. Going there now.

Reply to
ƒ®ànK panű¢©I

Reply to
Frank Olson

More info...

The "player" you're looking at is for a USB-IRD device manufactured by Motorolla. They haven't given you the video files obviously, but some software to run an "infra-red device" that uses a computer's USB port. I'd suggest contacting them (again) and letting them know you need them to identify the actual video files on the CD's they provided. I may have an emulator that can help you view them on a standard Windows NT based PC. I'll see if it'll run on XP-Pro later this evening.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Frank Olson wrote: > The "player" you're looking at is for a USB-IRD device manufactured by

Frank, I really appreciate the info. However, I'm approaching the "drop-dead" billing point at which the law firm is telling me to stop (because they're not paying any more for this particular effort). I'm told that the police can be compelled to produce more useful files, or arrange the use of a machine or transfer method. Their refusal to so so could be grounds to dismiss this particular prosecution, so the ball is in their court. Any help you can offer will be apreciated, but please don't put yourself into a position of spending lots of time and effort on this.

Reply to
ƒ®ànK panű¢©I

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.