VOIP Question Again.

Whats the latest on Voip and alarm systems? I use Ademco and have an oppertunity to sell systems to a company that sellls voip. Trouble is, Ademco Tech says their systems will not support voip. Any idears or other equipment I can buy to get systems t work on VOIP. Thanks.

Reply to
Paul Brewington
Loading thread data ...

Ademco works fine on VoIP. They just don't support it due to phone line liability issues.

1. You can download the panel. It just takes 6 times longer and is subject to disconects at any given time.
  2. Dials to CS tone tone no problem.
  3. Reports Contact ID no problem.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

there is no alarm system that is compatible with all voip system

some will work some wont,like our first alert product work very well with the cable company voip around here,but wont work with the voip module that plug to the same cable modem but is transfered trough normal internet chanel,the cable company voip use different route to the telphone network then the internet,in fact the cable company use totally different frequency then the regular internet..and the packet for voice are tagged as priority,wich is not true with something like vonage,and they dont use as much compression then vonage and such provider

but still i see much more signal resending then on a normal pots line...

p.s. ademco and first alert are from the same manufacturer..(honeywell)

"Paul Brewington" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Petem

Petem is right on this one. Various panels work with some VoIP systems and not with others. With some combinations performance is intermittent. It seems that the main problem has to do with the kind of compression algorithm being used by the analog converter. Vonage's black box, which I tried last year, was unreliable at the time. They may have an improved model by now though I haven't kept up with them.

I've used several converters with varying degrees of success in handling FAX, analog modems and telephones, as well as one type of VoIP phone with built-in IP. The latter, a Polycom 501 "SIP" phone, works best. However, performance depends to a great extent on the IP communications provider and the virtual attendant host provider (LINUX box running Asterisk).

I used conventional phones and a FAX via VoIP while working in Brazil earlier this year. The service was reliable, better in fact than Verizon's POTS lines at times. I plan to test an ELK-M1 Gold on VoIP in my own home a few months from now when I'm up to working again. I'll post results after I test the system.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

Reply to
robertlbass

Guess I've been lucky so far. I've put maybe 4 systems (all First Alert, Ademco's kissing cousin), and have had no problem to speak of with signals. The cable installers (not being phone guys) had even LESS of a clue about line seizure, how the alarm system communicated, etc. But those were (so far) the only hurdles to overcome.

Reply to
Michael

If the customer doesn't want Cellular, I walk away... Reason: the day of the install everything may work just fine, it's the future that holds the uncertainty, two weeks from now it may NOT work....... I don't need the headache... AGAIN (for consumers just tuning in), for the record, VOIP IS NOT PHONE SERVICE, it's Internet service with voice capability...

Reply to
Russell Brill

If the customer does not want cellular, use internet communications and skip the phone line entirely.

Reply to
Mark M.

The common answer you'll here is to install a digital cell phone communicator and be done with it. This is the solution that most of the industry has settled on, and it's probably the best fit for 90% of cases.

. Since the customer must have high speed internet access to have VOIP, you can use that transmission method to communicate alarm signals. Since you mentioned Ademco, check out Alarmnet-I.

Reply to
J.

You may want to check out VoIP interface modules such as the one made by Bosch. They work with most panels.

BobbyD

Paul Brew> Whats the latest on Voip and alarm systems? I use Ademco and have an

Reply to
bdolph

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.