video security system- Should I save to a dedicated PVR or to a PC. What about remote viewing etc.

I desire to set up a couple of security cameras at my home and the local church school principal asked me to make recommendations for a video security system there. Can you please give me guidance on any of the following questions that I have.

For purposes of conversation, I doubt that the school would want to spend more than $2,000 for the equipment (Recording equipment and three or four cameras) and they will install it themselves (money is tight in a self supporting school). For my home application I do not want to spend more than $1,000 for the same and it will also be DIY. A lot less at my home would be even better, of course!

Which is best for video with minimal to moderate hassle, on the low to middle of the price spectrum, and bang for the buck (value) perspective? A Network/Internet camera (one with a built in web server, not a USB webcam) or the traditional cameras that are not networked. My observations are that the decent network cameras are still quite expensive while you can buy all sorts of video security cameras on eBay for < $100. It seems like much of the time that I try to view a camera on-line it seems to not work at all or not work well, causing me to question their reliability. Also, in reading product reviews on Amazon.com and other sites, I see that a lot of people seem to have trouble with the initial configuration of such products thru firewalls and such. I'm also not sure if the video quality is generally as good as a traditional camera or not. Nonetheless, it seems like it would be nice to not have to route thru a PC and still make yourself directly available on the net.

What is the best hardware to record the video? You can buy 4-camera video capture cards with software on eBay for $20 - 50. You can buy a dedicated DVR to do the same for several hundred dollars. If one has a late model PC with a large hard drive and fast processor, is there a good reason not to use it for video surveillance? Does the software that's out there work good or is it bug and hassle prone? What are the pros and cons and issues here.

There is also a $100 device on eBay titled "IP Network web camera video server 9100A, DVR, AXIS" that looks impressive and supposedly turns regular cameras into a network based system. It can be viewed at

formatting link
I wonder if that would work well.

Is there something better that is beyond what I've spoken of here?

If anyone could speak to the pros and cons of the various options, including naming any makes and models of specific products and/or web links, I would be forever grateful. Without actually buying and trying all the options, it's so hard to know what is best. I hope that some of you on these newsgroups have gone before me and got it figured out and tested some of these products.

Reply to
David Jensen
Loading thread data ...

"David Jensen" wrote in news:3ZZ1e.7655$ snipped-for-privacy@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

Do you need full motion video capture? Or will stills do?

You can purchase a decent video server for ~300 - 400.00 USD. Hook your cameras to the video server and archive the stills to a FTP Server or File Servfer.

Video servers convert analog CCTV camera pictures into JPEG/MJPEG or a variety of other formats. Video servers can produce a better quality picture than IP cameras since the lenses and quality of CCTV cameras tend to be better than 90% of the IP cameras out there. Not to mention, CCTV cameras are MUCH cheaper.

There are several brands of video servers out there. I can't really tell you which is the best one, since each have their own feature set that you might find useful. One useful feature you might want to look for is compactflash slot on the video server - this allows the server to archive a backup copy of the still onto a local card... in case the remote server is down. I've seen one or two video servers with this feature.

BTW, you asked why not use an old PC? Since this is for security you probably want high availability. Unless your old PC an provide quick recovery, ease of use, etc, it's better off buying a dedicated recording device.

You really don't want to find out the next day after the school has been broken into that the PC you set up has crashed : )

Oh, might want to add a UPS to the recording device too!

Reply to
Lucas Tam

And don't forget physical security for the DVR/PC/Recording Device! A perfect video of someone's face as they break in doesn't help if he steals the computer it's recorded on. . .

Reply to
Fred

This is true. This is another reason to at least upload some of the video or still images to a remote server. Than there is basically nothing they can do to destroy the evidence unless they cut your phone line - which I ran underground and into the house instead of outside the house - to prevent this from happening.

David Jensen

Reply to
David Jensen

I would additionally suggest powering the equipment from a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply), if you think there is a chance that someone might also cut off AC power.

This could keep the data collection going for a few minutes, depending on the chosen UPS and the load of the surveillance equipment.

Gino

On 3/29/2005, David Jensen managed to type:

Reply to
Gene E. Bloch

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.