UTC?s Interlogix division to close down by end of 2019

Has anyone seen this,

"UTC?s Interlogix division, makers of a variety of residential a nd commercial security product lines, has notified its employees and dealer s that it has begun the process of ?winding down? business in the United States and Canada, and will no longer manufacture new product s by the end of 2019."

Hogan

Reply to
Hogan
Loading thread data ...

and commercial security product lines, has notified its employees and deal ers that it has begun the process of ?winding down? busines s in the United States and Canada, and will no longer manufacture new produ cts by the end of 2019."

Surprise Surprise!

I don't get it. What's the purpose?

Is it that these large companies just buy up smaller companies, suck the l ife out of them and discard them ? I mean it's not that Interlogix had any great secrets or something that would benefit UTC to the amount of $1.82 BI LLION !!!

Amazing!

Reply to
Jim Davis

al and commercial security product lines, has notified its employees and de alers that it has begun the process of ?winding down? busin ess in the United States and Canada, and will no longer manufacture new pro ducts by the end of 2019."

life out of them and discard them ? I mean it's not that Interlogix had an y great secrets or something that would benefit UTC to the amount of $1.82 BILLION !!!

Doesn't have anything to do with big companies buying smaller companies, it has to do with not staying competitive which was happening long before UTC came into the picture. 2GIG, Qolsys and Alarm.com pretty much did them in not UTC

I'm surprised they didn't try selling them off to someone else, they still sold a lot of equipment, the Concord NX series were excellent panels

Reply to
mleuck

tial and commercial security product lines, has notified its employees and dealers that it has begun the process of ?winding down? bus iness in the United States and Canada, and will no longer manufacture new p roducts by the end of 2019."

he life out of them and discard them ? I mean it's not that Interlogix had any great secrets or something that would benefit UTC to the amount of $1.8

2 BILLION !!!

it has to do with not staying competitive which was happening long before U TC came into the picture. 2GIG, Qolsys and Alarm.com pretty much did them i n not UTC

l sold a lot of equipment, the Concord NX series were excellent panels

It's pretty frickin hard to believe that UTC didn't have the wherewithal/ca pability/foresight/experience, to see the handwriting on the wall before th ey spent almost $2 BILLION for it.

On the other hand, I guess it's one hell of a tax write-off right before th e end of the year.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Your first posting is probably more accurate. The people who sold to UTC, I would assume made out very well. Large companies do take what they want an d will purposefully deplete them, as well as get tax write-offs. The winner s in all this, is probably those who sold to UTC, the losers are everyone e lse.

I wonder who will own all the technological rights of the equipment?

Reply to
Hogan

Yes, I have. And I read very carefully what products are to go away.

The Networx items do not appear to be in the mix. I have very happy about that!! Since it is my panel of choice!!

However, it doesn't mean that somebody behind a desk can't decide to ruin my day. Which would not be the first time.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

ential and commercial security product lines, has notified its employees an d dealers that it has begun the process of ?winding down? b usiness in the United States and Canada, and will no longer manufacture new products by the end of 2019."

the life out of them and discard them ? I mean it's not that Interlogix ha d any great secrets or something that would benefit UTC to the amount of $1 .82 BILLION !!!

, it has to do with not staying competitive which was happening long before UTC came into the picture. 2GIG, Qolsys and Alarm.com pretty much did them in not UTC

ill sold a lot of equipment, the Concord NX series were excellent panels

capability/foresight/experience, to see the handwriting on the wall before they spent almost $2 BILLION for it.

the end of the year.

While UTC did stagnate the company most if the fault was with GE, they pour ed a lot of money into the company but gutted it of all the experienced ITI and Caddx people who later went on to start companies that became their ma in competition

The problem tends to be big companies tend to not take the same chances tha t smaller ones can, can't release something new without it going to the bea n counters who usually know nothing about security

I can't see why they didn't try spinning the division off like Honeywell di d with Resideo, the hybrid panels are excellent and they finally came out w ith encrypted sensors and a decent touchscreen for the Concord

Reply to
mleuck

I would assume made out very well. Large companies do take what they want and will purposefully deplete them, as well as get tax write-offs. The winn ers in all this, is probably those who sold to UTC, the losers are everyone else.

I assume UTC owns the patents etc.

GE sold to UTC for $1.82 billion back in 2009, If they made out well you ca n't tell these days because they appear to be quickly circling the bowl fin ancially

Reply to
mleuck

ial and commercial security product lines, has notified its employees and d ealers that it has begun the process of ?winding down? busi ness in the United States and Canada, and will no longer manufacture new pr oducts by the end of 2019."

The NetworX panels ARE included in the shutdown, they are part of the same division as the Simon and Concord

Reply to
mleuck

I did not see the Networx panels listed, so I assumed they were not included.

And yes, I know what assumed really means.

Time will tell...................... Tick Tock

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

ential and commercial security product lines, has notified its employees an d dealers that it has begun the process of ?winding down? b usiness in the United States and Canada, and will no longer manufacture new products by the end of 2019."

ame division as the Simon and Concord

I would assume the writer just didn't mention them like he also didn't ment ion the Monitor XL whatever that was. No mention of fire panels but not sur e if they still offered any

Damn shame I really liked the Concord 4, super easy to program

Reply to
mleuck

There seems to be a lot of talk that certain models. (nx, concord, etc.) will be shut down. I think this is wishful thinking. What I have read and talked to the tech support people is that "INTERLOGIX" will shut down on dc 31, 2019. (period).

Questions:

1) what about the distribution agreement re: the wireless door/window sensors)? 2) Is there is "white knight" waiting in the wings to get this co. back on line? 3) what about all of those panels (simon, etc.) sold by the mass marketers (read fast profits, no long term service)? 4) what about the services by Carrier that are required for the systems to work?

FACT: the NX is a very good panel that has lasted many years because of its versatility. It should not be allowed to die.

What about those employees from Interlogix? Are they being brought into UTC?

What about a forum when we can all report problems ansd solyutions, publish manuals, etc.?

Reply to
John R. Sowden

Hi John,

YES, it is going to get quite ugly in the next few months.

And YES, it would be nice of some Knight on a White Horse would swoop in and fix it for all of us using the NX product line. (and maybe some of the others)

However, I fear that is just a dream.............just a dream.

Needless to say it will be smart for all to plan for the worst by learning a new panel to fill your needs, wants and desires.

Personally, I am looking at first acquiring a few panels and auxiliary devices to help with the transition. Then I will work into using the DSC-NEO panels as my panel of choice. The alterative to the DSC-NEO will be the ELK-M1.

If someone actually does take over the NX product ling and keeps it going I am there in a heart beat.

As for your list of questions. I will let some of that to others.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I spoke with Ecolink who manufacture some of the latest Interlogix sensors, Interlogix has exclusive distribution rights at the moment but they are working on getting that back. As far as the other Interlogix sensors they would be gone

Easy to move to Qolsys Ecolink or Resolution technologies

Nope

As in installed panels? they would continue until replaced by newer panels, no different than any other orphan panel

If you mean remote services like Ultrasync that would go away however Alarm.com would pick up that slack

Agreed but it likely will die along with the Concord

Some of them yes, a lot of them no

Already have that here, and manuals can be found anywhere

Reply to
mleuck

riety of residential

? business in

way.

have read

The odd part about all this is that there is no mention of shutdown anywher e on the Interlogix website, at least in any obvious places. You'd think th ey'd have some banner announcing it to the general public...

Reply to
mleuck

Well, I did talk to a supplier last week who was anxious to let me know to order Now!... any parts that may be needed for all the customers. He did sa y that any orders would not even begin to be filled until late November/Dec ember.

What was revealing is that the fabrication plants are in Mexico! That made me think a little. It is not like these Mexican plants are just going to cl ose up shop, just because the US corporation says so. Yo, its Mehico, sayni or! The plants are all staffed with Mexican people who want to keep on work ing. The knowledge is also there in Mexico where they were taught what to d o. It would not surprise me the least bit, if there were to be in the near future, Nitwerks parts coming out of there. Just saying...aren't these the same folks who are very adept at flooding the US market with Mary Y Ana and other things?

One thing that we all can be sure of, the pricing of the parts will most li kely go up, up, up!

So, do I want to buy a bunch of parts that may be needed sometime in the ne ar or far future when Mrs. Dingles Networx system gets struck by lightning? ?? I certainly will not install any new future systems of that brand, so, I am just looking at parts then. If her mainboard or keypad--(that is the mo st replaced part,famous red light, dazed look) goes, it's a "Might as well replace the whole system now Mam! moment".

I believe it's time for grandma to go... it's better this way. She will not be suffering anymore...

Now if all that any company or individual ever installed was Networx, then you do have a 'small' problem. Eez time to call sayniorr Hose and c if he k en help!...

Just for everyone to know, I am not prejudiced against any one in Mexico. I am joking to the tune of Disney's Speedy Gonzalez. I actually drove in 198

5 from central Florida to Monterrey Mexico, drove a large egg shaped loop w est and down to Mexico City, and back up the eastern side back to Monterrey , over a month. At that time, I found them to be very nice friendly people who went out of there way to help along the way.

Les, as to trying out the Neo Dsc panels, I would suggest also looking in t he older PC 1616, 1632, 1664 versions, as those mainboards do not have thei r keybus locked out and sold out to Alarm.com. The programming should be mo stly identical in its logic, and once you do get used to DSC, especially th e wireless zone side, you will wonder why you waited this long to try them out. You also will have more options for communicators. I hate having all m y eggs in one basket, especially when it drops down to the floor. That is w hy we have accounts with systems like DSC, Networx, Honeywell, Monitronics, Concord etc, etc.

So when another Networx keypad goes, or the mainboard, I am not going to lo ose any sleep over it. It's going to be a "Mam, that company went out of bu siness last year. We've got a DSC system with a keypad that is even easier to use now, You will love it!" moment.

DSC is not going away for a while, as the Canadian founding man in charge s ought out the proper company to buy out his 'baby', for the long term, and not for liquidation. There are still some very decent folks out there.

Hogan

Reply to
Hogan

Hogan,

Thanks for the Southern Texas humor. Insightful!!

Have a good week!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

riety of residential

? business in

way.

have read

Hi Les,

I know that Napco isn't such a popular product line but I think we all know that the future of the alarm installation business is going to change dram atically in the next 5 years or so. I know that Interlogix had a new system they were trying to promote but when I looked at it ? although it had the features that make the DIY system popular, I didn't think it's pric e point was competitive.

So getting to my point, Napco is working on a similar system which is going to be released "soon" (as they say) It may not be released in time to be c onsidered in your quests for a new provider, but I sincerely think that eve ryone should be looking at migrating to this type of system. I think that t his is the next step in the evolution of alarm panels.

Look at Isecurealarms.com. I don't know any of the qualities of their syste m and I'm not saying they've got it right(it looks like they just squeezed panel and Starlink into one plastic covered box) but the concept is what's in our future.

Reply to
Jim Davis

ame division as the Simon and Concord

I don't know if you get Security Sales and Integration magazine or not but there's a detailed article on the future of Interlogix.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hi Jim,

First I will say that I have a certain amount of petty issues. :-) That being said, the petty issue I have with Napco is the stupid location of the Zero(0). I have worked on but, can't say I have ever installed one from scratch. I am sure that someone decided that it looks prettier over there........ But, I find it a bit of a pain to find when needed.

I know that if you use it every day, it is no big deal. But, if you use one every now and then it is a different story.

I looked at Isecurealarms.com as suggested and it appears that the zero is still in the same spot. Sooooo, I don't think the NEW Napco thingie is in my future. Sorry!!

I know, I know, too petty.....................

So how do you thing Richard Petty does it???

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.