Using self contained siren with a siren driver

I have a Napco home security system.Recently I renovated the hallway in my house and wanted to eliminate the ugly bullhorn siren that was visible in my hallway to a more sleek looking siren. So I purchased this:

formatting link
When I went to install it, I noticed only 5 VDC at the wires when activating the siren, but it still worked, so I just left it. Now I realize why I was getting only 5V out. Turns out I have a siren driver in my panel, and my old bullhorn was actually a speaker only. And I can't re-wire the speaker wires in the panel to the +12V bell output because I have a second bullhorn in my attic by the gable vent thats being fed(paralleled) by the same pair in the hallway ( It is spliced somewhere in the attic). If I did that, the siren in the hallway would work, but not the speaker in the attic. So now I'm not sure what I should do. Should I just leave it since its working, or maybe bypass the circuit board in the siren and just go directly to the speaker?

By the way,the driver is an Altronix ALSD2.

Thanks again

Reply to
Mike rock
Loading thread data ...

If you can bypass the siren board in speaker and go direct to it. that is best way to do it otherwise you will eventually damage the Napco panel

Reply to
NickMark

best way to do it otherwise you will eventually damage the Napco panel- Hi= de quoted text -

OK, will try that.

One other thing I noticed is that the +12V bell output from panel, goes to the input of the siren driver and only hooked up to "Yelp", and nothing was hooked up to "Steady". Does this mean in the event of a fire alarm, it will not sound a steady tone, only a yelp tone?

Reply to
Mike rock

It depends upon how the Napco panel and siren driver were programed (if it'= s a programable driver) but typically, the siren will "warble" steady for = a burglary and will warble intermittantly for a fire.=20

Now days, I use a voice siren driver that verbally announces either a burgl= ary or fire. You are actually a good example of why. From your post, it sou= nds as if two possibilities exist in your installation. ... 1, Your install= er programmed your system with a driver with only one output or ... 2.... y= ou have not tested the system to know the different sounds your system make= s to indicate a burglary and a fire alert.=20

In such a situation, if you were to be awakened in the middle of the night = with the siren going off, I'm sure you wouldn't know whether to grab your g= un or a bucket of water.=20

With the voice siren driver you know immediately what the situation is.

Reply to
Jim

I bypassed the circuit board and went directly to the speaker , and it works fine now.

For some reason I remember when the system was installed 8 years ago, there was a distinct siren sound for the fire when the installer was showing me. So I'm pretty sure it was done right. I just was curious because I recently started looking at the circuitry and only saw 1 input (yelp) into the siren driver.

Reply to
Mike rock

The output during a fire alarm will pulse, letting you know it's a fire alarm. On a burg. alarm it will provide a steady 12V.

Reply to
G. Morgan

rks fine now. For some reason I remember when the system was installed 8 ye= ars ago, there was a distinct siren sound for the fire when the installer w= as showing me. So I'm pretty sure it was done right. I just was curious bec= ause I recently started looking at the circuitry and only saw 1 input (yelp= ) into the siren driver.

How can you have an alarm system and not know what sound the system makes w= hen there is a fire alarm? What happens if it goes off in the middle of the= night and no one knows that the sound they are hearing means there's a fir= e ............ and someone dies?

JEEEEEEZe!

Reply to
Jim

Buy a pretty looking speaker then. Problem solved. They are cheap enough. Elk makes some nice ones for indoor application.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Or just take the internal driver out of the unit and wire right into the speaker. I used to have a dozen drivers I cut away from the self-contained ones to make them Brinks compatible on takeovers for Brinks.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.