Universal CO, Propane and Natural Gas detector

Hi, I bought Kidde 3 in 1 detector (CO, Propane and Natural Gas) but it's not what I was looking for. In the Kidde guide it says that human will smell the gas before the detector gets activated which I don't like at all, hmm what the point of having one then. It will activate the alarm at 25% level where 30% is needed for explosion. I know there were some universal 3-in-1 detectors that activates alarm at 5% but don't know the brand anymore. The Kidde is loud but when the basement door is closed I can hardly hear the alarm on main floor, not to mention one floor up where all the bedrooms are. Is there anything on the market (and what brand) that will do at least CO and natural gas and that can be interconnected to one more unit (on the main floor or first floor) that is not wirelles. I've heard there are some units that can be interconnected thru 110V receptacles where they are plugged in. If not, I don't mind even running wires.

Thanks

Reply to
djenka2
Loading thread data ...

There are explosive gas detectors designed to be connected to an alarm system.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I don't know of a 3-in-one that is adjustable to 5% of LEL. They may exist though. Here's what I could dig up for you on single purpose units:

1. Heating gas detector: Macurco's GD-1D has low and high level triggers. The low level is sett for 10% of LEL. The high level trigger is at 25% LEL.
  2. Carbon monoxide detector: Macurco CM-S1 is a UL-listed CO detector for use with fire and security alarms. It complies with UL standards
2075 and 2034. Instead of a fixed percentage of CO in the air, the new standards require that the detector alarms based on gas content and time duration. In other words, a low percentage of CO in the air for a long time will trip the unit, but a high percentage will trip it in a relatively short time. Since the affect of CO exposure is cumulative over time, this makes more sense than having a single setting.
  1. Propane and natural gas both trigger the GD-1D so you would only need two detectors to fulfill your requirements -- not three. I realise this isn't the ideal "all-in-one" solution but perhaps it comes closer to what you need than the Kidde models.

Regards, Robert L Bass Bass Home Electronics

formatting link

Reply to
sales

@Robert, this is good and I don't mind having two units but can anybody tell if these can be interconnected so they can activate other units upstaris and be heard while sleeping two floors up.

Tnanks

snipped-for-privacy@bassburglaralarms.com wrote:

Reply to
djenka2

Unfortunately, none of the system type gas detectors with which I'm familiar are interconnectable in the same manner as 110V smoke detectors. It certainly would be a good idea. The usual method is to connect them to an alarm system and use the alarm's sirens or horn/strobes to alert the whole house.

It would not be difficult for manufacturers to engineer in the capability of interconnected audibles, using a reversing relay like we do with system smoke detectors. One problem is that gas detectors already cost more than smokes and adding a few more dollars to the unit price might make them even harder to sell.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.