Understanding Fios

Hey all you's guys...................... Not to change the current............ discussion but,

Trying to keep up with latest on this Fios issue. Here is the back ground to why I am asking.

Customer built the house back in 2003 and apparently according to him had Fiber installed to the house for future hook up. But since it was not available (as I understand) nothing was hooked up and the phone line came in standard POTS line "copper".

So now it is 2011 and the customer gets a call from Verizon saying that they can hook him up with Fios at a much faster speed. (like 35 up and down) He says do you have to install wires and such and the rep. says no the cable is already to your house and we can make the change and you will notice when you make a call because you will then have to dial the area code even if you call the neighbor.

So, at about 3am this morning the custom get a message from the C/S saying that the phone line is down. The signal went in over the Cell-Backup. He calls me to ask what the signal was about, I research and tell him what it was and he then explains the above about what Verizon was doing. I asked if they came in the house and he says no but he now has to dial the area code for a local call.

So I dial into the panel and connect. Disconnect and the panel sends signal to the C/S as it should just like normal.

So here is where I am confused, how was Verizon able to switch to (fiber) Fios from copper and not have to enter the house to do so. Would they have installed the fiber in 2003 and install the equipment and it then magically connects over to the copper in the house 7 years later??

Does Verizon use nanobots to go thru the fiber make all the necessary connections and then turn to dust when the job is complete??

Inquiring minds need to know?? I know there are a lot of opinions here, so please share.

Thanks in advance for all the education that I am about to receive.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

As I understand, FIOS and U-Verse offer up 2 speeds based on how close the fiber is to the premises. There is FTTP - Fiber-to-the premises, and FTTC - Fiber-to-the-curb. I imagine that's what they are talking about. There is no need to enter the premises, the fiber terminates at the demark in FTTP.

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

OH!!! Now that makes some sense. But, 3:40am is a bit strange.

Thanks for the link. Very helpful.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

YW.

Maybe the work was done during the day, and they did the switch at a time less likely to affect the customer? They can tell if the gateway responds, and revert back if unsuccessful. Just a wild guess.

I've never seen a fiber termination at the demark. When I had U-Verse the fiber was in a cabinet about 100 yards away, copper the rest of the way.

In case you didn't know, FIOS (Verizon) and U-Verse (AT&T) operate on a super-fast DSL line.

formatting link
VDSL ITU G.993.1 VDSL 55 Mbit/s down 3Mbit/s up VDSL ITU G.993.2 VDSL2 100 Mbit/s down 100 Mbit/s up

Reply to
G. Morgan

Hi Les,

The "Fiber" only comes to the demark outside of the house and the existing wiring in the house is used from the demark. However, what confuses me about your description is .... There is usually a standby battery and charger that's mounted inside of the house. Are you in a warm climate? Up north here, it gets too cold to mount them outside.

As far as the ten digit dialing, when they first started Fios around here they offered a lower monthly fee if you opted for 10 digit dialing. Recently, my customers have not been offered the option. And .......unless they are told by Verizon to notify their alarm company to change the programing of their alram system, most people don't think of it and it isn't realized until the first activation of the alarm system, when it doesn't get through to central station.

NOW .... with regard to the panel being able to dial out in spite of the fact that it wasn't programed for 10 digit dialing ..... a couple of times ..... while I've been reprograming a system for 10 digit dialing I think the panel was able to dial without a ten digit number. The first time it happened, I just thought that maybe I "thought" it got through, so I didn't think any more about it. Then, I think .... it happened again. I still wasn't prepared and didn't pay attention. Now I'm going to be looking for it the next time I do a reprograming and every time there after. I'm suspecting that maybe Verizon actually has to do 10 digit dialing to some exchanges but not all .... so you never know if a call is going to go through without 10 digit or not. Thats just a guess on my part but it could be that newer exchanges do the 10 digit and the older one's haven't been or can't be updated until they change over to new equipment. There's still a lot of exchanges that use mechanical switching.

And the nanobots actually turn to Cream of Wheat, so bring the milk and sugar.

Reply to
Jim

Oh and I forgot to say ..........

If you need more information on this Fios matter or anything else you can think of, you can go back to the "BS on alarm monitoring" thread and ask Blueman.

He knows everything. );->

Reply to
Jim

I have FIOS but kept my hard line. because I still run all the modems etc. They probably switched the hard line in prepping to install the FIOS.

A typical FIOS install here for home and business involves bringing the fiber into the basement to a STU type box with a back up battery in it where the internet , TV and phone is split out. It blows Comcast away in this area. Even when just phone is brought in they still install fiber whole way and STU box is installed in basement. I have business customers who just have the FIOS internet and that same box is used as well. So it does not sound like they installed any equipment yet just flipped the 10 digit dialing in.

when we did the area code split here while back for 30 days you could dial 7 digits or 10 digits to allow every one to get set up. 90% is was able to download so it was no big deal for me but major headache for others.

Reply to
nick markowitz

My problem WAS that I thought of Fios as one way and I now see that it has multiple types. Which now explain how it could have happened.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I am just North of the Mason Dixon. Actually it wasn't till Mason Dixon did there thing that it was that way. So cold is the case around here but not necessarily this year. I regress...............

Thanks for the clarification on the nanobots. I just hope there is enough to make a good bowl full. LOL

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

LOL Now you are stirring the pot.

Reply to
ABLE1

Cool.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Yes he is, with a blender........ heh heh heh

Reply to
Russell Brill

While we're on the subject, I've noticed that on the Fios installations that I can't find out what the telephone number is by dialing 9580. Anyone got a clue on what the new number is? I've tried it with the area code and with the old 958 number ..... but no success.

Reply to
Jim

Pick up the Fios phone, and call your cell...doh!

Jim Rojas Technical Manuals Online!

formatting link
Cornwall Lane Tampa, FL 33615-4604

813-884-6335 813-440-6653 Fax AOL: rojas813 MSN: snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com Yahoo: jimrojas ICQ: 20116219 GoogleTalk: snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com

--- Posted via news://freenews.netfront.net/ - Complaints to snipped-for-privacy@netfront.net

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Lol...

Reply to
G. Morgan

Double Doh!!!

Reply to
ABLE1

Doh yourself. Not if they have caller block service. Jeeez.

I would have thought you'd think of that ...... DOH!

Oh wait a minute ..... is this Blueman I'm talking to? Then never mind ..... you know everything.

Reply to
Jim

Doh yourself. Not if they have caller block service. Jeeez.

I would have thought you'd think of that ...... DOH!

Oh wait a minute ..... is this Blueman I'm talking to? Then never mind ..... you know everything.

DOH!!!!

Just press *82 and the Caller ID will be UNBLOCKED for that call only.

"I would have thought you'd think of that ...... DOH!"

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Oh and BTW I always try to learn something new everyday. Please accept the above as yours.

Have a good week all. Go learn more.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I take everything out of my pockets besides a pair of wire cutters in the back. I've lost pagers, phones, a wallet (recovered barely), and God knows what else before I made a habit of leaving everything downstairs.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.