Ultratech battery life?

Any one else noticing that Ultratech batteries sold at ADI do not seem to hold up as well as other brands.?

Reply to
nick markowitz
Loading thread data ...

How long are you seeing them last?

Reply to
mleuck

Yep..... I get about 3 years tops on most of them. If I spot one in service when on a call, I replace it whether it needs it or not. I'll never use them again. I use only "Genesis". So far so good.

Reply to
JohnRegnar

Yes. I only use Genesis, formerly Yuassa. However, I replaced a Genesis NP7-12 today that was less than 3 years old. Hmmmm...

Reply to
alarman

I've never used one in a holdup. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

For a long time ADI had the UT-1270 "on sale". Now they're selling Yuasa (Genesis) for less than the sale price of the Ultratechs. Go figure.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

I have been getting 2 or less years while the yushua I have gotten 3-5 or better

Reply to
nick markowitz

I hope that's not an indication for the rest of us. When Ultratech batteries went on sale at the distributors our price automatically Dropped as well. We were getting as many as a dozen battery orders a day.

Fortunately, some of our larger clients stayed with ELK and Yuasa. Last year we got multiple orders for several hundred each of 7 AH, 8 AH and 17 AH batteries. All went to a museum in Washington DC. The place is amazing, by the way. They have hundreds of separate alarm systems, their own central station and CCTV systems that rival those in use by the Homeland Security.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

They suck. We were getting only 2 years out of them...and they were always bulged out when we replaced them. I won't use them anymore.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

yep...even Genesis aren't like they used to be...but still better than UltraTech.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

"Crash Gordon" wroteL

Other the the old (pre-Genesis) Yuasa, the best ones I've used are ELK. We put then in a lot of panels in CT and they invariably beat the 5-year "normal" life span.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I use nothing but ELK nowadays.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

We use Intepower batteries (V-Cell) and haven't experienced the quality control issues a lot of you guys have run in to. In fact, I've seen some go as long as seven years.

It's critical that the charger meets the battery's specifications for float voltage to ensure maximum life from the product. However, some of the cheaper brands of batteries out there are poorly designed and will vent improperly (or they're using substandard materials in the construction) which reduces their lifespan considerably.

It's also important to know how to properly test a battery so you can ensure your customer is getting what he's paying for.

Reply to
Frank Olson

I bought a case of 5 and 8 Ah last year and half read bad after being in service less than a year. very bad batch.

Reply to
Kid

I don't believe you. I've had many years of good service from ELK and I've seen you post things even you don't believe.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

cite?

Reply to
Kid

Yuasa is back in business. They had a booth at the ISC East and said they were distributing through Alarmax in my area. Alarmax has a number of distribution points so you might want to inquire if your interested.

Reply to
Jim

Yuasa is back in business. ..

Do you know it it's the same quality as before? They might just be rebranding something cheap.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You DO realize Elk doesn't actually make those batteries right?

Reply to
mleuck

Well, this is what I got from the booth attendent at the show and from recent literature I received.

They were rather circuitous when I tried to pin them down on how they were back using the Yuasa name. It seemed as if they were trying to avoid coming up with a straight forward answer. Could be because they were Asian, with an accent but, I didn't think so.

However!

I just got literature in the mail today.

From the literature: Quote.

During the ISC show we received numerous questions related to our relationship with Enersys. Following is a summary of the situation;

In January of 2009 Yuasa Battery, Inc. ended its supply agreement with EnerSys, Inc.

Yuasa no longer supplies any Genesis or Enersys branded product to Enersys.

Yuasa Battery, Inc. has reentered the direct to distributor and direct to OEM markets.

"If it doesn't say Yuasa on the outside " it's not Yuasa on the inside"

We look forward to supporting your battery requirements. If you have any question, please call us at 201 535 8800

Best Regards Doug Pierce Vice President Industrial batteries End Quote

Their website is

formatting link

On additional literature it says .... in part

After much consideration, Yuasa Battery, Inc, decided that beginning in January 2009 it would no longer privately lable batteries manufactured by Yuasa and sold in the North American market. Yuasa has re- entered the direct to distributor and direct to OEM markets after ending a lengthy relationship with EnerSys Inc., a move that was prcipitated by diminishing licensed sales over the last two years. In fact, if you bought a battery within the last year, it's highly unlikely that it was manufactured at the Yuasa plant. Moving forward, if the product you purchase doesn't say yuasa on the outside, it's not Yuasa on the inside. (end of literature content)

For years, I've been buying the Genisis at the higher price because I was told it was just Yuasa under a different name. And in spite of the ADI people consitantly reminding me that the others were cheaper. And in spite of other installers saying that if they don't last as long so what, it's just more income for battery changes.

I have no way of knowing if their quality is the same as it was before but I'm hoping it is. I'm switching back. As I said, I've already shipped some to my clients.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.