UL approved??

Just curious, is it fact or fiction that Comcast Digital Voice is not UL approved for commercial fire applications??

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

false UL does not approve phone line types. Comcast is considered a public switched network IE telephone company per NFPA 72 definition there for it is usable for commercial fire but the box providing dial tone would best be backed up with a UPS to ensure 24 hr availability of dial tone.

Reply to
nick markowitz

false UL does not approve phone line types. Comcast is considered a public switched network IE telephone company per NFPA 72 definition there for it is usable for commercial fire but the box providing dial tone would best be backed up with a UPS to ensure 24 hr availability of dial tone.

Thanks Nick,

That is very interesting. I was told by a tech for another company that it was not accepted and that the owner would have to go to cellular in order to comply with UL standards.

The plot thickens.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Obviously the ass hole installer has not read a copy of the 2010 NFPA

72 and as usual is making customers pay for what they do not need. out of ignorance because he only knows what some one esle knows who also has never read a code book.
Reply to
nick markowitz

UL has nothing to due with it.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Yeah, I love a thick plot. Tastes like chicken.

Best advice I can give you is to check with AHJ. Here in my area, one county AHJ wont accept VoIP yet all the others do. Some will accept Internet comunication, others wont. Some are begining to accept one land line and what ever else they decide is adequate.

I figure that it probably depends on what they had for breakfast on any given day.

Reply to
Jim

First of all, there is no such thing as "UL Approved". They stopped using that term in the early 1980s. They now use the term "UL Listed", or, if you are talking about a specific alarm system, or a Central Station, the term "Certified" is used which is backed up by a "Certificate". Typically a Central Station, such as ours is referred to as a "UL Listed Central Station". Secondly, I contacted our Fire Marshall and asked about the various methods of creating a dial tone (cable, fiber, etc.). His response was we do accept any of them". I did not ask about radio options. Therefore, I go by "the AHJ has the last word" theory.

John Sowden American Sentry Systems, Inc.

Reply to
johnr

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.