True mistakes

So, here I was, dumb long-haired kid, northern N.J. around 1973, kneeling on the edge of the kitchen counter over the sink. We're wiring the house for the alarm, I've got the kitchen window open and I'm drilling the hole in the sill for the white plastic Redemco plunger contact. We used spade bits, boy could those tear a hole fast.

So, let's see, if I drill in the middle of the two water faucets, I should be good to go, right.

No, for some reason the plumber put a 90 deg. elbow on the pipe and I drilled right into it, and water came spraying up in my face and then all over the ceiling.

Holy Cow, I jumped off the counter and opened the cabinet underneath and there was NO SHUT-OFF.

I ran down to the cellar and found a faucet near the water heater and turned it off.

Then...the strangest thing....I thought I heard someone yell. I remember looking up at the cellar ceiling, puzzled as hell about that noise could be. Then some thumping. As I was coming up the cellar stairs, I heard the old customer guy pounding down the stairs, yelling "WHAT THE F*CK!!!!, HOLY SH*T!!!!!".

He only had a towel around his midsection. He just happened to be taking a shower. :-)

Boy, was he madder than a wet hen, I was sure he was going to have a stroke.

I can't remember if I turned off the hot or cold water.

Anyway, the plumber we called took the wall apart and at least he [and my partner] remarked how strange installing that elbow was. He could have just gone straight down. Dummy. ;-)

Reply to
Kalarama
Loading thread data ...

A plunger contact in a window ?????

Reply to
Jim

Read the subject line again... :-)

Reply to
Frank Olson

Plus it was in the olden days...maybe also a casement window?

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Sure, perfectly appropriate when it's nestled behind the metal weather strip. We'd start with a hole saw. Anyway, it may not have been a plunger, we may have been getting an access hole to the cellar for the 39 up on the side.

Reply to
Kalarama

IT WAS 1973.

Reply to
MAMM (maybe a mechanical moro

We still use magnetic plunger switches for certain things...old fashion steel casement windows, and the new MONSTER fancy smancy decorative steel front doors made in Mexico that weigh at least a ton and are probably 1/8 steel box frame...major PITA if you try any type of magnet. The only sane way is with a plunger on hinge side or roller ball.

- **Crash Gordon**

Reply to
Crash Gordon

It's just that plungers (ie. facing upward) in the sill of a window just invite getting jammed with debris. I think I've only ever run across a couple of jobs where it's been done. Especially bad in the older windows where there was no choice to be able to put the switch on the inside of the weather strip. Then the moisture got a shot at them also. Back then, PB switches weren't even sealed. Just metal to metal contacts.

Remember the Ademco 116's ? I think they still make them too!

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.