triggering multiple devices

When the output of a sensor (e.g. motion PIR) is used to trigger more than one device (e.g. two video cameras and an alarm system) what is the recommended approach to triggering multiple devices? Can the inputs of the cameras and alarm simply be wired in parallel and triggered together with no additional electronics? Or, should the output of the PIR sensor be used to trigger a multi-pole relay that is used to trigger each of the other devices separately? If the latter solution is recommended or required, what manufacturer / part number would you typically use?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

On Oct 29, 1:47=EF=BF=BDam, "Christopher Glaeser" wrote= :

You could set up a diode matrix or check out Altronix. They have relays of all types.

Reply to
Jim

Best to keep things separate.

Security systems might use an "end of line resistor" and the signal will be looking for a specific current flow. Attaching that line to another electronic device could interfere with this.

Or the different devices might use different voltage levels. One may operate with 5 volts, another with 12 volts. You could cause some serious problems to a 5 volt electronic device by connecting it to 12 volts!

And then there is a "ground loop" problem. That is when you connect grounds or "-" connections together from various electronic devices.

As to the relay used, first determine the power you will be using. Like 12 volts DC. Then how many "switches" you want on the relay. Say 3 switches. This would be called "triple pole" or TP. Then relays will come with just an on switch or an off and on switch. This is called throw. So single throw (ST) or double throw (DT).

So you might want a 12V DC TPDT relay.

I search google.com for that and find this one...

formatting link
Then best to install a "flyback diode" backwards on the relay coil. Relays when they are turned off will send out a pulse of electricity (which can damage electronics just like static from your hand touching the circuit board). If you install a diode backwards (- to the + connection), this will damper that pulse of electricity. This shows a diagram about half way down. Or search the page for the word "flyback"...
formatting link

Reply to
Bill

I install a diode on relays almost exclusively, but there are still some MFGs who send MOVs to protect their equipment. Is it just price? Not that diodes cost much...

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Thanks, that all makes perfect sense. Is it possible to make a Triple Pole (or N Pole) using the Altronix RB7 and RBOC7? See

formatting link
?pid=2&model_num=RBOC7 Several quick questions:

If I understand the data sheet, three of the gang-of-seven relays can be triggered together to create a triple pole relay, is that correct? In other words, one RB7/RBOC7 could be used to create one triple pole and two double poles, or any combo adding to 7, is that correct?

Assuming that my cameras and alarms can be triggered using a Normally Open switch and have modest current requirements (I'll have to check the specs), I think I can use the RBOC7, is that correct?

Is the RBOC7 solid state, in which case, are diodes still recommended/required, or are diodes only needed for mechanical relays?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

There are several ways to accomplish this. As others have already stated, you could use a multi-pole relay or an array of diodes to trigger the various devices. Another method is to wire the sensor directly to your alarm control panel and use programmable outputs on the panel to trigger cameras, etc. Some Napco panels can have as many as 64 relay outputs triggered from one or more inputs, as well as various events such as an alarm or someone arming or disarming the system. Relays can also be programmed to transfer at specific times, days of the week, dates of the month, etc.

I mention Napco because that's the brand I've worked with the most but there are other brands with similar features.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks, that's good to know. The alarm is a wireless Ademco Lynx. I don't think Lynx has a relay module, but this technique would be useful for other installations.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

5800RL works with the Lynx although I'm amazed you've spent what sounds like quite a bit on cameras then lowball the security system
Reply to
mleuck

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Yes, the budget for cameras and motion sensors is relatively high. The reason I selected the Ademco Lynx was the wireless voice chime panels. The vocabulary is relatively limited, but otherwise, these devices work extremely well. If any of the outdoor sensors are faulted, the chime identifies the sensor. Is there another security system that supports wireless sensors, wireless panels, and voice chime sensor identification that you would have used?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Thanks. I took a quick look at the 5800RL and I think it will be easier to build a custom relay panel for this particluar project. This is a work in progress, and the next phase is to install a 100 meter Redwall SIP-100 PIR. The SIP-100 output will a) trigger the Lynx voice chime, b) trigger a video camera, and c) in a subsequent phase, send a text message via smtp using WebControl.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Concord 4 with the voice module would have worked a lot better

Reply to
mleuck

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Until GE drops it while selling off their unprofitable security division.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Careful. GE is selling off their entire security division. Their miserable customer service has been the subject of much discussion in this newsgroup.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I took a very quick look at the Concord 4 and it's not clear what functionality it would add that is not covered by the Ademco LynxR. Of course, my application is not typical. The Ademco voice chimes are used exlusively for outdoor sensors, and the home alarm system that was installed during construction of the house is completely separate. The Ademco wireless voice control pads are working perfectly. With PIRs around the yard and magnetic switches at all the gates, the Ademco chime not only announces that someone is approaching, but what sensor was activated.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

You have no idea if it is unprofitable

Reply to
mleuck

1. The Concord is not an all in one system
  2. The Concord has a special zone for outdoor sensors
  3. The Concord has real onboard outputs
3a. The Concord has real relay boards you can add 3b. The Concord has longer range at least with this application
  1. The Concord has a lot more options available for tripping an output which appears to be the subject of this thread
Reply to
mleuck

Modularity is useful because this project continues to expand over time.

Although I think an Altronix relay board will do fine in this project, better integration with the alarm system would be useful. What is the part number for a Concord relay board?

Have not yet hit any range problems with the Ademco, but anticipate much longer range in the future. Longer range is definately better.

Can the Concord chime indicate which sensor is faulted using voice? Does the Concord have a wireless voice pad similar to the Ademco 5828V?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

In that case, you might want to consider something like the Voice Alert VA6000 system. It uses wireless outdoor PIRs and a standalone receiver that can play a separate pre-recorded (your voice) message for each sensor. I have a number of customers who use these and they work well. There are relay outputs on the receiver that can also be connected to your alarm system in case that's ever needed.

Here's a link (my website):

formatting link
Here's one of my competitors:
formatting link
Finally, here's the manufacturer's link:
formatting link
Hope that helps.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

You have no idea whom and what I know about GE.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.