Transducer car keys

Should you need keyless entry keys or fobs, etc; keylessoption.com will be your cheapest option that I have discovered so far.

Just bought a used van with only 1 security key/remote combination. I first went to a dealer to cut me a 'valet' key to at least open door if the real key was left locked into the van. Price, free. Searched and searched online and found somehow on Amazon, very well priced security keys/remotes. Priced at $29.95 for 2 new transducer keys with full 5-function remote including battery, and, shipping included.

You can buy a cloner, but it is just an exact copy of your key only, and will be limiting you. I then went to Lowe's and brought my valet key for them to copy onto my new shell remote keys ( I left the guts out of them). They will copy the valet key since it is not a transducer key. The guy did not even charge me for labor because he said that he had not sold me any product.

Bring one new non-cut transducer key/remote to the dealer, for them to cut and program it into the vehicle computer. Cost only $59.95 labor, no tax. At Locksmiths $79 to $85 per key.

Now that you have 2 keys learned into the car computer, there is a simple procedure that will allow you to program your additional keys all by yourself for free.

The procedure is brand specific of course, but can be easily looked up online.

I did buy also plain transducer keys at the same time, and was able to program them all in just a few minutes.

I now have a total of 3 working programmed keys/remotes + valet key, for a total cost of $103.95. ...and it was supposed to cost me several hundred dollars for 1 key!

Hoping this can help someone someday.

Darn it, I should not have told this to anyone. Now, someone might use this to break into a car...

Introducing....................CarX Unlocker software........................Just kidding!

Could not help myself after the last roundup. Please take it in good jest!

Reply to
E DAWSON
Loading thread data ...

E DAWSON

Very interesting and funny at the same time. Quite an accomplishment especially for ASA. Think about it; some dead people would be proud and amazed at the same time!! Can't get any better than that!! Congrats!!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

CORRECTION: Transponder car keys, not transducer.

Reply to
E DAWSON

But thankfully ...... they're still dead. Just think what this would have been like ..... if not.

Reply to
Jim

And apparently the next product to be developed should be:

Liplocker software.

Likewise ..... jest.

Reply to
Jim

I recently went this route. I bought two keys for one of my trucks. Then I went all over town trying to find somebody to cut them for me. Lowes, Home Depot, CAL-Ranch, ACE, True Value. The guy at CAL Ranch took a shot at it, but didn't get the setup quite right and ruined the key. It annoyed me a bit since I used to cut a lot of keys in my Dad's hardware store growing up, and I know I could have cut the key without screwing it up on one of the old hand guided machines.

Home Depots machine was out of service, and the rest just sad no, or they didn't know how on their new style computer guided machines.

I was pretty ticked and realized I had wasted half a day several dollars in fuel, and one chip key trying to save some money. I realized it would have been cheaper to just let a lucksmith screw me and be done with it, so that's what I did. I went over to Burge Locksmith and handed him a good key for the truck. When he told me the price I said, "Yeah I know. Don't care. Make me two of them." 20 minutes he was $140 richer (probably more since I am sure he pays a lot less for those keys than I did) and I was driving away with one of my new keys in the ignition.

So, while yes you can save money on this sort of thing, make sure you have somebody who can and will cut they key for you first. If not it can be cheaper to just pay the gouge and be done with it. Programming the key is no big deal for most basic chip keys. You just have to find the instructions. I still have a copy of them in the glove box of the truck.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Sorry to hear you had trouble getting your keys cut. It is maddening when someone does not know how to do their job right. This should not be the norm, but the exception.

I just went back 2 days ago to Lowe's to cut my last blank. It is a key blank with the remote. I remove everything so that I am only left with the steel part of the key and one side of the remote shell that is attached to it when I go to the store. Also, it is important that you do not bring in the key to copy that has a transponder chip in it. They usually will not do it. You do have to get a plain key without a transponder from the dealer first- they will usually do it for free- they think they will get your business.

The only thing that I found at Lowe's, is that they do have to choose the correct "cutter box configuration" for your type of key. They insert the box into their machine, insert your blank in one slot, and your copy key in another slot. As long as they correctly insert the keys all the way in, and if the operator knows what he is doing, it should go well. It was a different guy this time, so I asked what I owned him for his services. He just said that it was on the house this time. I said thank you very much...again.

I was not worried too much about my blanks getting messed up by the key-cutter, because both keys with all the guts of a full 5-button remote built-in, was only $29.95 for BOTH...shipping included. And yes, when I did go to the dealer for him to cut and learn one key into the vehicle computer, he made sure to warn/scare me that it might not work at all or stop after a while.

...I should have told him that his security system might just quit suddenly because he did not purchase it from us.

Walmart checks your copy key first to see if it is a transducer key, and if it is, they will call security. No, not really, but some of them seem to get quite upset about it.

Also, the process for learning your own keys into the vehicle computer is not only for the transponder chip, but it also programs/learns the remote to be able to operate/work. It is all done at one time.

Did Burge Locksmith & Gouging Inc. learn the keys into your vehicle computer, or did they just clone them?

Reply to
E DAWSON

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.