The Man From A.S.S.

Written in response to a marketing related post on Facebook to a guy who makes rod holders under the company name Elite Rod Holders.

Branding is a tough thing, but if you are not a one dimensional creator you will come up with ideas and create products other than rod holders at some time. You may already have to much invested in the current name, but how about considering how you can back off the name to something more encompassing. With a name that screams "I SELL ROD HOLDERS" it might be difficult to market say a new seat bracket or some other widget or gizmo you create that isn't a rod holder. Can you find a way to take advantage of the branding you have already done to encompass a broader range of product in the future. The FACT is no matter how well you do you will not monopolize the rod holder market. You can't count on one dimensional growth.

"ERH Products." Wow! That guy makes a great beverage holder. "Well ERH!" LOL

No I am not in advertising. I spent 23 years as a licensed contractor with a one dimensional business name. The Security Consultant. The thing is some of my biggest jobs were voice and data cabling jobs. Not at all security related. Others were customers were I did, sound systems, phone systems, intercom, video, and security all for one client. I did ok, but a name that better encompassed my range of skills might have done better. I have since thought a name like Arizona Systems Solutions might have been better. People would certainly remember that guy from A.S.S. I imagine it would have been hysterical to have A.S.S. security decals on windows all over town. Seriously though. Try to think about how you can and will expand in the future. If you stubbornly say, "I am only ever going to make rod holders," then don't worry about it.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Rod Holders!, Rod Holders!, Rod Holders!,,

(Wifey told me I didn't need no stink en rod holders, that was her job.)

Reply to
RTS

It very seldom comes up but if/when anyone ever asked me if I had a company motto ===== years ago I cam up with

IF WE CAN'T BUG IT === FUG IT.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Well Bob that was very well written and humorous!!

Which makes me want to tell another true story. It October 1989 a friend and I decided to start a business in security. We sat down at the kitchen table and decided we needed a name. Hmmmmmmm Well we thought we should try and be first in the phone book and come up with something starting with the letter "A". We couldn't fit a lot of "A"s into our thoughts but then my friend says how about "Aegis Security". Aegis?? Yea, it means Secure in Greek. (actually "shield" or "protection") but at the time who am I to argue?? It still works!!

So, we called the attorney and said make the name on the application for "Aegis Security, Inc." So the attorney (being paid for every second" did the apply thing and came back the next day saying sorry that is already being used, you need to come up with something else.

So it was back to the kitchen table......... Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So we started with things with our initials, locality, a bunch of stuff that didn't seem to work. So I said, how about we focus on the things that we can do. He says, you mean like, we are able to do security, and were are able to do fire alarms, we were able to to do phone systems, we are able......................... That is when the light bulb lit up and we both said how about; ABLE Security, Inc. We contacted the attorney again and sure enough it was OK to use ABLE Security, Inc.

And, that was just the beginning of the story.

Been over 30 years now!! It's A.S.I not quite A.S.S. but close.

However, there is a Able Security and Fire Alarm Systems in Wisconsin that would be A.S.F.A.S. Drop the Fire Alarm and then they qualify. Over the past couple of years I have received phone calls from their customers that don't look close enough to the Area Code difference looking for some help with their system. I was ABLE to help one fellow just because I am a nice guy. I also explained that the service call invoice was in the mail. He said; "you don't know where I live!!" I said; "you gave me your address when you called" And besides it would be better than a 1,700 mile Portal to Portal Trip Charge!!! The last one just a week ago had no humor so I just told him to the right number.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

When I was starting the company oh so many many years ago, I just couldn't come up with a good name. My wife and I were sitting outside by the fire pi t eating breakfast, just throwing names out, none of which sounded appropri ate. Trying to think of something, I got up and went to the edge of the cle aring and was inspired by the first thing I saw.

So we called the company Mammoth Alarm

There was also a squirrel and a robin but Mammoth sounded better. My first system was a rock on a vine, over a cave door.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Ok Jim, that makes me question.

You saw a Mammoth what??

Woolly? Northern or Siberian? Hole? Tree? Rock? Blade of Grass? Foot Print?

Sorry I am out of ideas of a something Mammoth or a Mammoth something.

Please advise. :-)

BTW I like the rock on a vine, over a cave door.

I can almost see that on a business card as a logo.

Reply to
ABLE1

n't come up with a good name. My wife and I were sitting outside by the fir e pit eating breakfast, just throwing names out, none of which sounded appr opriate. Trying to think of something, I got up and went to the edge of the clearing and was inspired by the first thing I saw.

It was actually my neighbors wife's ass.

Reply to
Jim Davis

ROFLOL I really was not prepared for that one!!! Except for the very soon manned space walk that certainly made my day. Thanks Jim!! :-)

Reply to
ABLE1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.