The ICC ? Who????

Hey! Is there anybody in here?

Anyway, I just read an article about CO detectors and I really don't understand the significance of it.

The article starts off by saying that the International Code Council ( ICC) has published new requirements for carbon monoxide detection and revised requirements for smoke detectors. They are covered in the International Residential Code for one and two family dwellings and town houses. Who the hell is the International Code Council? The article says that the ICC codes are rapidly becoming the "code of choice" for state and local governments that adopt and enforce building code standards. What ever happened to NEC and NFPA?

Here's the link. Take a look at the section towards the end of the article "Fire Alarm Systems Changing Course"

formatting link
What say?

Reply to
Jim
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

I say, "Sounds like another group of bozos creating a job for themselves by promoting themselves as an authority just like the NEC and the NPFA"

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The ICC is the group which tells where fire,Sprinkler and co systems etc are to be used IE homes, apartments etc

The NFPA and UL etc tell you where and how it is used.

The ICC has been around for over 15 years where have you been. It is a standard thats been adopted by most states. which allows for one uniform code set. we adopted it in Pa about 5 yrs ago and it makes things a hell of a lot more easier instead of dealing with a different code for each town you go into. If you do commercial work better plan to learn it or plan to go out of business. because sooner or later your gonna get tagged on it.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Hi Nick, Well, this is exactly why I DON'T do commercial fire anymore. Over the last 15 or more years, the influx of every Political, Union, and self appointed special interest entity that decides that THEY are the "authority" and have the say over what the public needs "for their own good" .......... just about makes me retch. Another "standards" proscriber is just what everyone needs. What more justification can these self serving AHJ's need, simply to rationalize the reason to keep their jobs? When it reaches the point that people who want a fire alarm can't get one because they can't afford it because they have to "meet code" .......... that's ridiculous!

That's as bad as the fishing industy in spite of ever diminishing quantities of fish, insisting that they be allowed to continue fishing for smaller and smaller fish so they can make a living ...... until there are no more fish.

How can this ICC code be "one uniform code set" when every AHJ has the authority to impose what ever the hell HE thinks should be "the code"? Regardless of which code is "supposed to be followed, they can do what ever the hell they want to justify their job. I mean, what other job allows you to have the control to make up your own rules and regulations that only you can enforce, yet have no knowledge to be able to tell you what those requirements are and can negate anything that's in the code? Job requirement's: Overweight, wear baseball cap, American flag emblem on shirt sleeve, smoke cigar, carry clip board, spend afternoons browsing through asiles of Home Depot, only available to inadaquately do your job, when you feel like it and then only between the hours of 10am and 2pm allowing 2 hours for lunch.

I divorced myself from the bureaucratical bullshit a number of years ago when I gladly paid a fine of $400.00 that a self important fire marshal imposed on my customer because I told him to shove his stupid rules and regulations up his ass. One of the most satisfying $400.00 I ever spent.

Reply to
Jim

Pa. passed the uniform construction code which follows The ICC and this has been a very good thing here because it stops ahj from causing bullshit regulations. if an ahj demands above and beyond ICC he must have it approved by the state . it also holds ahj accountable for the first time when they step out of there boundary. and i have helped in getting rid of a lot of real shit inspectors and having them retire. it also levels the playing field because now everyone has to bid a similar set up a real fire panel and smokes etc not a burg panel with sirens for commercial set ups like some ahj allowed. all inspectors must now be certified thru ICC or they do not inspect. In the long run it has gotten rid of many of the f*ck head AHJ and bad contractors. either follow the rules or do not work. but the problem of bad contractors who got chased from commercial work went over to residential side and now there required to register with state. despite all the hassles of keeping up with codes and regulations I will take commercial any day over residential. unfortunately too many residential guys try to come into commercial and lose there ass because they think they can do what they do in a home and get there jobs shut down. They just shut down one of my institutional customers jobs other day when drywall contractor they used did not get permits etc to put up walls and he caused a false fire alarm and got caught. The institutional customer knew better and so paid the price.

Reply to
nick markowitz

m...

Now your saying that extra wall they put up was no problem well it was because they blocked the sprinkler head smoke and strobe which now needs moved and others added to make the space safe. theirs kids sleeping in the rooms but then again if they where not caught this way the state health inspector would have caught them on the yearly inspection and they would have paid dearly like the idiots who put the access control box in the elevator room. when there was no access system for the elevators. He was told not to put it in there and he did any ways and got busted. he thought he was exempt from codes too. Needless to say I'm going to be getting rid of this customer because they like to cut corners and do things with out permits and it looks bad on me being in there doing the fire work.

Reply to
nick markowitz

com...

=BF=BDto put up

Now see? If you were doing nothing but residential, you wouldn't have to worry about all that crap. Wouldn't it be a lot easier to simply have to explain 27 times how to use a 4 zone alarm system to an

87 year old lady who, when your done, asks you ..... Which button turns it on and off?
Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.