Telemarkerters

Just received a call on my business line from someone who said they were in the Province of Rhode Island and said that my number was chosen to received a free security system. What a joke. Couldn't even speak good English. When I did not accept what he was saying or asking, wished me a good night and hung up. It is high noon here but nighttime in the other half of the world. Stupid!!!!

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

At least we have a no call law here in pa. and it works for most part on residential lines. except for political calls.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Be rude to them. Make them cry. If enough telemarketers quit maybe we will get fewer calls.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

At least we have a no call law here in pa. and it works for most part on residential lines. except for political calls.

Well it went from the above to really weird.............................. I received 2 more phone calls. The first was a hang up. Then 5 minutes later another female with a accent saying the same thing. "Do you own a home and that they were in Rhode Island. She said that my number was chosen............ and that GE ??something?? was in my area and would be calling..... That is when I demanded to speak to the supervisor. Supervisor comes on and first said he would remove my number from the list.................... Then I asked what was this system and he went on to say that it was made by GE and was completely wireless. I asked what the model was and he ignored the question.............. He said that 90% of the time burglars come thru a door or window................... I asked what components where with this free system??.............. He ignored the question............ He asked would I like to speak to a local reprehensive. I asked where is this reprehensive located??

[This is where it gets really weird]

He said he was in Rhode Island....... No I said where is the local reprehensive located and he said (the town that I live) I laughed and said what is the name of the local rep. He said it was my company.............................. Then he asked if this I was Les. A few seconds later he hung up................................

I never gave him any info on my company. Totally bizarre...................................

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Are you aware that there is a Federal Do not call list that you can add all your telephone numbers to? ( including cell phones) If you are on that list and someone that you've never done business with calls you, soliciting something, if you can get their Company name, and telephone number, you can report them and supposedly they can be fined $5000.00.

Telemarketing companys are supposed to reference the list before calling anyone.

Just Google Federal Do Not Call List and you can register all your telphone numbers.

I have reported a few who have called me in recent years. I don't know if they were fined or not. But the calls have all but stopped compared to what I used to get.

Something that is beginning to happen however is ads via cell phone texting. I'm not sure if the Do Not Call law controls that or not but I'm noticing that I'm starting to get them now.

Reply to
Jim

On Jun 17, 6:17=A0pm, "ABLE1" wrote: .

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the sign post up ahead, your next stop... Les' Alarm company!

Reply to
Jim

Are you aware that there is a Federal Do not call list that you can add all your telephone numbers to? ( including cell phones) If you are on that list and someone that you've never done business with calls you, soliciting something, if you can get their Company name, and telephone number, you can report them and supposedly they can be fined $5000.00.

Telemarketing companys are supposed to reference the list before calling anyone.

Just Google Federal Do Not Call List and you can register all your telphone numbers.

I have reported a few who have called me in recent years. I don't know if they were fined or not. But the calls have all but stopped compared to what I used to get.

I have all my numbers on the DNCL. The problem is finding out who they are when they won't answer a direct question and they spoof their CID. Major PITA!!!

Something that is beginning to happen however is ads via cell phone texting. I'm not sure if the Do Not Call law controls that or not but I'm noticing that I'm starting to get them now.

Reply to
ABLE1

You're traveling through another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind. A journey into a wondrous land whose boundaries are that of imagination. That's the sign post up ahead, your next stop... Les' Alarm company!

LOL!!!

Reply to
ABLE1

I got one mortgage company pretty good. They called me with a recorded message and left a telephone number to call if I was interested. I called the number and left my telephone number. When they called back, I acted as if I was interested in refinancing, got the name and address of the company out of the literature they sent me, reported them to the DNCL then called them back and told them what I had done and hoped that they got the shit fined out of them. They asked me why I just didn't ask them to be taken off their list and I told them because of the sneaky tactics they used in trying to get around the DNC rules and for being too lazy by not using the DNCL. Ya know what? They said that they weren't even aware that there was such a thing as the DNCL. Imagine that! Afterwards I was glad I did what I did. I didn't believe them because they would not give me the name of their company over the telephone and when I pressed them they gave me a name. But when I got the literature and forms to fill out for a loan, it was a completely different name.

Reply to
Jim

Tom, Was that you?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

The other issue that is in the same vein is Junk Faxes. I use to get a bunch and then stopped publishing my fax number. FWIW Unsolicited Fax are against both State and Federal Laws.

However I did get even with this book company. They sent me a Junk Fax with a order form and a 800 fax number to return my order.

I took the form printed it out. Scanned it and sent the .bmp file back to them. My fax broke the file into 28 pages and took about 25 minutes to send. They were lucky I didn't get a verification error or they would have gotten it another time or two!!

Got a phone call the next day verifying my fax number so that they could take it out of the system. Never received anything from them again. I think they got the point.............

Reply to
ABLE1

if your lucky enough to get a return fax number, try sending a black sheet of paper to them.

works every time.. ;-)

Reply to
Rockytsquirrel

I guess I'm just a little more vindictive.

I used to get similar faxes. Even some every day from Deli's with their lunch menus.

I made about 10 copies of a completly black page. Very late at night when I thought no one would be there, I faxed back lots and lots and LOTS of copies of the black pages with a note on the last page saying "Since you think it's alright to waste my time, paper and toner, I'm sure your wont mind if I waste yours."

Needless to say, I don't get faxes from them any more.

But ....... I have the black copies and note in a file folder, just in case.............

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.