Telco Line Fault??

Hey to all,

I installed a new Fireworx FX-64RD panel a couple of months ago. Almost from day one started to receive sporadic Telco Line Faults. Both Line 1 and Line 2. Little correlation can be determined except it happens 9 times out of 10 during the week Monday - Friday and during the day 9am to 5 pm. In other words 90% of the time during working hours. (aka when the phone are likely to be used)

It happens 1 to 3 times in a given day and then skip a day or two.

It was originally connected to their Line 1 and Fax Line, I have moved to L-1 and L-3 no help. It is now on L-1 and L-2 and am waiting to see how it goes. Line 1 happens less frequent so I have left it alone.

In calling UTC Tech Support........................... I was told that the threshold voltage is 10vdc.

I have gotten the 10vdc from a couple of different techs so that must be the number but it seems to be on high side. I remember on a burg panel that I was having a problem a couple of years ago I was told the threshold was

6vdc.

What I am reading at the panel is 6.5 to 7.5vdc when a phone is off hook. So if the threshold is 10vdc then the panel is going to go into trouble after the timeout of 2 minutes which is the maximum.

The lines that I am working with are (what I think is) POTS lines on copper. However I was told that if there is a digital converter?? it could cause some trouble. How do I determine if this is the case???

Has anyone here experienced this?? Especially on this panel??

Any additional thoughts that may help would be appreciated.

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Do you have these connected for proper line seizure?

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Jim,

Yes, I have RJ31X's on both lines.

Thanks for thinking on this.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Check Viking's website. They might have something to help boost the line voltage.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Improper / dirty grounding can cause line fault problems double check your grounds.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Improper / dirty grounding can cause line fault problems double check your grounds.

Nick & Jim,

Are you guys thinking that 6.5 and 7.5vdc is really low?? Or is the 10vdc threshold high??

What values have you seen with off hook voltages??

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Regarding the voltage, on hook telco is about 50 volts (48 volt batteries in the CO plus the excess to charge them). Re the troubles, check to see if any prem phones have been installed onto the ring and tip terminals instead of the output of the RJ. Some panels look for a current flow when the voltage drops to the off-hook level. If there is no phone off hook on the RJ output, then there is no current flow. If you take an ohmmeter reading from tip in to tip out, and ring in to ring out, you might see a small ohms difference. This is the sense resistor that the panel is reading a voltage across to determine if there is a current flow (ohm's law). The problem is that telco people put their things on ring and tip, disregarding the RJ hookup.

Hope this helps. John Sowden American Sentry

Reply to
John R. Sowden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.