Technician Wages

Hello everyone. I am an installation supervisor for a large midwest security company and I have some question.s First, are there any other managers or supervisors here that are having problems hiring experienced techs? If there are, is it due mostly to wages? The reason I ask is I have been looking to add technicians to my staff but I am stymied by the wage scale that my company has put together. They tell me that it is compaetitive but when I make an offer to a prospective tech, they either decline or quite often, just don't respond. I have been hiring tech assistants in hopes that someday they will become more but I need some techs that can hit the ground running. That having been said, I am going into an operations managers meeting next Tuesday and although I have compiled statistics from the Bureau of Labor as well as others, I could use some real hard evidence that we are in fact not competitve. What I would like to know is how long you have been in the busines, where you are located and what you make an hour. According to my bosses, we are in line with other SNA partners. I made a promise to the other techs when I was promoted to this posistion that I would not forget where I came from and would fight for them to my fullest capacity. I am asking for your help, not for me, but for my technicians and their families. Thank you for any help you can give me. David Knutsen

Reply to
David
Loading thread data ...

David,

This sounds famillar to me, I also do the hiring for our company and it is exremely competitive. I have had other companies approach my techs on jobsites and offer them more money then we can pay. It seems all the skilled technicians already have a job, and there are not enogh "techs" to go around.

How large is the company you work for? The size of the company seems to have a lot to do with the amount they pay their techs.

James

Reply to
James B

Hi David

Dont know about mid west but here in Quebec all technician are in a union

and the salary is:

for a 1st year tech (less then 2000 hour of experience) 14.75/hr and double time for any amount of hour pass 8 hour a day

for a 2 year tech (more them 2000 less then 4000 hour of experience)

17.21/hr and overtime is the same

for a 3 year exp. tech (more then 4000 lest then 6000 hr of exp.) 20.89/hr and overtime is the same

and for a qualified tech (after he pass an exam to proove his skill, and made more then 6000 hr of experience) 24.58/hr and same stuff for overtime

also, they have a retirement plan wich consist of 18% of there yearly salary paid by the boss at 60% and by him at 40%

and a medicare plan wich is one of the best plan in force in this province (dental work at 90% paid. drugs paid 100%. glasses paid 100% and a lot more..)

they also have short/long term salary insurance in case of accident

hope this help

"David" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion : W6yNj.70075$TT4.3221@attbi_s22...

Reply to
Petem

Let's face it. How many techs out there are tired of getting screwed over when their company folds, or sells out to a competitor?

Retirement plans are nice on paper, but not realistic in today's fast paced world. By the time you are almost qualified to retire, many companies are looking for ways to fire you based on non existant job performance evaluations, or the mysterious "department cutbacks" excuse.

Pay each tech a flat rate per job or service call, this may equal to double or even triple than the national hourly average. This encourages production. A tech that installs 2 basic systems a day, should see a $300+ per day payscale. Service techs should see 40 to 50 percent of the bill, less parts. This way, there is no overtime worries, sick day worries, etc. The techs are free to work as much as they want when they want. Vacations can be scheduled at a drop of a hat.

Set them up with their own IRA, which stays with them for life. A 401K is a poor way to save for retirement since it can lose value due to current stock market activity. Social Security is a national disaster. By the time you are old enough to collect it, it's not enough to live on, let alone pay your normal household expenses with it.

Set them up with a 80/20 full healthcare plan. Group coverage, for a typical family of 4 will run you $450 per month, which includes major medical, and dental.

Have them supply their own tools. Afterall, if it belongs to them, they will take better care of it.

Use white fleet style vehicles. Skip the $4000+ custom moving billboard paint jobs. It's real tacky. Large print letters and a simple slogan is more than enough. Who cares if your vehicle gets entered into SDM magazine...really now.

Get everyone in the company a Nextel military grade cell phone, so there's no excuse why you can't gat a hold of anyone if a problem arises. They now offer unlimited talking plans for $119 a month, it's less if you group a bunch of phones together. Now everyone can speak to their families and loved ones without having to worry about excessive monthly usage charges. That's right, chuck the ICOM 2 way radios.

Make sure every tech dresses the same. This is extremely important to customers. Even a long haired southern boy wearing jeans (no holes please), a company shirt and hat looks good to a customer if he dresses like he is there to work, not to drink beer and shoot pool.

If I left anything out, let me know.

Jim Rojas

Petem wrote:

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Now that is just too. too funny!!!! :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE_1

James:

In my branch alone, we have about 29 techs. We run the gamut from basic guard service to access control and offsite video monitoring. We also have our own central station. All totaled, we have well over 3500 employees. We have pretty good benefits, insurance, 401k, the techs get a truck to drive to and from work which has a gas card in it and we take care of all maintenance. They supply their own hand tools and drills but we supply the pipe benders, fish tapes large masonry drills, push pull rods, etc. There are two installation teams in our branch, one is residential and small commercial. Mine is mid to large commercial. My team does a lot of high profile jobs such as access, cctv, fire and burg sometimes all four or a combination of them on the same job. I'm really getting tired of hiring people with no experience and having to take years to bring them up to the point where they can tackle these jobs on their own. I was hoping that I could get some good information to take to the gm meeting so I could start making some decent offers to people. Thanks for your input. David

Reply to
David

Apparently, the CCQ turns out to be the most intelligent life form in Quebec. Not bad for a single cell organism. ;-)

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'm glad to see that someone else caught the humor...............................

Reply to
ABLE_1

Reply to
I brive a dus

I've seen former dealers go after their old accounts later after they left but never go bye bye when the dealers leave

The other part of this is the 100+ dealers leaving at once and it's a big worry by Brinks, again that won't happen nor is it a worry. Dealers do come and go but not in droves

Drink more kool-aid Tom

Reply to
Mark Leuck

That's because they just may have to spend some money. Yours wasn't even a good lunch bill.

Reply to
Red

of course its funny that someone used a wrong word to express himself in a foreign language...

I am sure that anything you would try to express in french would be much more funny... but for that to be you would have to just try to learn it...but i am sure it something you dont have the ability to do....

Reply to
Petem

Just like the photo of you showing off in tight pants on you byke ;-)

Reply to
Petem

Your comment really didn't deserve a comment but I could not resist.

It is not a wonder why there is so much controversy in this newsgroup.

SPELLING was not your strongest course in elementary school was it??

Reply to
ABLE_1

Reply to
I brive a dus

Forgive Peter, he's french

Reply to
Mark Leuck

messagenews: snipped-for-privacy@b1g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
I brive a dus

That explains a lot........................ I would rather just.................. forget.

Reply to
ABLE_1

----- Original Message ----- From: "I brive a dus" Newsgroups: alt.security.alarms,alt.security Sent: Sunday, April 20, 2008 12:16 AM Subject: Re: Technician Wages

Sorry!! You may now resume your regularly scheduled program.

Reply to
ABLE_1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.