Technician Wages?

Hi, Thought it might be helpful to see what other alarm companies offer for starting wages. We're a small company in the midwest and have been able to hire a couple of installers with "some" general alarm experience for around $13 - 14/hr in the last few years. The price goes up a few dollars an hour if the tech has considerable experience/training. Good techs with many years of service with us are pushing the $20 mark. We also offer benefits, vehicles (they also use to commute), all tools, training, expenses and a few extra incentive plans. How does this compare to your company? We're currently hiring an installer and since it's been a while since our last opening, I wondered what most of you would pay to bring someone onboard with some limited industry experience.

We're also looking to add a sales position. Right now, our sales staff earn a base fee ($375 - $475/wk) plus a straight 10% of the gross sale. They are also paid extra incentives (2x the monthly) for any recurring contract they get signed. They are also provided with design/clerical support, company vehicles, and expenses including a cell allowance. They sell all types of systems (industrial to residential). Some other dealers have hinted that our sales compensation package is a little too generous compared to the norm (whatever that is?)... so would appreciate your comments.

Thanks for any insights!

Reply to
JW
Loading thread data ...

Where is your company? I'm working for peanuts as Lead Tech compared to what you offer for Cherries!!!

JW wrote:

Reply to
S. Smith

"S. Smith" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com...

here a simple installing tech is paid close to 24$ an hour ,double that for overtime,which come after 8 hour of work in a single day,so even if you do only 20 hour of work in a week,if you worked more then 8 hour in a single day you still have overtime...

we also have a VERY good pension plan,medic and drug plan,which include optometrist,and dental work,all of this cause we are ALL in a union...

you can read about it at

formatting link

go to the medic construction page (don't know if they have a English page),I have the AE plan...

Reply to
Petem

Sounds like you are an experienced technician. To get to be at that pay level you have to be able to generate revenue for the company you work for at a certain level. I think any technician that improves his or her skills will be able to find employment to get compensated at the level you discuss, with or without a union. On the other hand there are folks like me that aren't paid what they're worth and are darned glad they're not.

Reply to
Roland Moore

close to 19 year in the trade..(if I count my first year in the electrician business)

I do generate revenue,but any single tech that is licence here will receive that pay..

I am at the same time a teacher (at night and week end) for technician and electrician.... (but the pay check is much more then 24$ ;-)

I used to be paid a lot less,but I do like having what I have now..and I am planning to have even more... I am now a project manager,(deal with the other technician and making sure that the project technical concept is done properly) but I am looking to get in charge of project from scratch to finish..(deal with the customer and sell rep to create a project and finish it with a team..)

still I am at the same time VP of my union... I want to bring the electrician board of trade and the non existent board of alarm technician together so that we stop having anyone in the trade..like for a 7 million population bank we have now close to 3500 alarm company,is that normal?

I don't think so and having a company licence in Quebec is very simple,having a technician licence is much more difficult,but the owner of a small alarm company can work in the trade with out a tech licence....what a pity...

"Roland Moore" a écrit dans le message de news: JzO_g.806$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.texas.rr.com...

Reply to
Petem

That's nice and all that... but there's no such thing as a union down here in East Texas. Much as I like what I see at CCQ, I'm not too keen about becoming a canadian citizen. I'd rather move back to Germany where I was stationed.

This also brings up the issue of Cost of Living: technicians get paid more in Dallas TX (~ $20/hr) because a 1 bedroom apartment costs 50% more than here in longview. Simply put, is $24/hr REALLY more once you've paid the bills?

I think in the end no matter where you work you will always be paid less than what you're worth but just enough to keep you coming to work in the morning.

se to 24$ an hour ,double that for

Reply to
S. Smith

Ok lets just say that a house like mine in Toronto could cost 40% more then in here mine a split level of 36 X 32 feet with a 50 X 100 feet land,cost me 2.5 years ago 150k

I pay the lower rate of electricity in America,but I do pay for highest gas price..(here its about 90 cent Canadian a litre) my pay check is less then 50% of my gross salary but I pay 12 bottle of beer around 10.50$

"S. Smith" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

That's nice and all that... but there's no such thing as a union down here in East Texas. Much as I like what I see at CCQ, I'm not too keen about becoming a canadian citizen. I'd rather move back to Germany where I was stationed.

This also brings up the issue of Cost of Living: technicians get paid more in Dallas TX (~ $20/hr) because a 1 bedroom apartment costs 50% more than here in longview. Simply put, is $24/hr REALLY more once you've paid the bills?

I think in the end no matter where you work you will always be paid less than what you're worth but just enough to keep you coming to work in the morning.

Reply to
Petem

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.