System for a (Small) Multi-Unit Building

I am looking for some initial information on the types of security systems would be appropriate for a small multi-unit building. Any advice or links to information would be appreciated.

Our garage was broken into a few nights ago. They forced the doors on BOTH entrances to the garage, even though both doors give access to the same area. Nothing was stolen (there is nothing to steal), but we obviously don't like the idea of someone being on the property in the first place.

It's a four unit building, completely surrounded by a fence and garage (that borders the alley). There is one area where the garage meets the fence where it is very easy to hop the fence. One thought was that we could aim a camera at this spot on the fence, since we suspect that this was how they got onto the property. We may just extend the fence a few feet to make entry more difficult at that point.

Is there any reasonable way of adding security to the GROUNDS of the property, in addition to securing the garage building/doors and each of the individual residences?

Also, if all the residents were to agree to commit to a security system, would it be cheaper (or even possible) to buy a single package to secure the whole property and all residences?

Thanks for any info/advice.

Phil

Reply to
psandler70
Loading thread data ...

An electronic security system usually alerts [whoever] *AFTER* someone has gained entry. I feel it is best to prevent or discourage them from entering in the first place.

Fix the fence so it is very difficult to gain access. Install bars or tough physical security on doors and windows as much as you can [budget thing]. Get dog. Get alarm system signs and post all around your property and fence even if you don't have a security system. These things will make them go to an easier target. Get signs at following link or search google.com for security signs...

formatting link
So far as alarms go, sometimes electronic alarm systems are setup to alert a person on site (such as a security guard). If there is always someone there, then the onsite alert or "local alarm" would save you the monthly expense of monitoring.

If everyone is gone all day or whatever, then monitoring would be best.

As for multiple homeowners sharing the same system, this does not work very well in my experience. There are technical problems with gaining access for service. One persons home may be causing problems and they are not there, so can't fix system, etc. Then who pays for false alarms, service calls, etc. Best to have separate systems.

Reply to
Bill

You have defined your objectives fairly well but not your budget. A single system could offer some economy by only having to pay for one monitored account instead of many as well as only one control panel. I can't fully picture your set up but you could deploy a single system with multiple partitions. Each partition could be unique and there could be a common area partition for the grounds, but reliable out of door protection isn't cheap at all. Just a single ASIM detector (made for outdoors - looks like a camera - like the detectors on traffic lights replacing loop detectors) for your fenced area could be well over a grand installed price. They work well once set properly but it takes lots of time with a laptop and two people (and sometimes more than one setup visit unfortunately) to get it right. Use most anything else out of doors besides ASIM type detectors and risk the false alarm fees eating you alive. If you used a wireless system instead of trenching you could deploy it quickly. Wireless could work in all the units as well. You might have to use a repeater if the signal strenght is too low in some area(s). A proper wireless survey would let you know in advance if it is necessary to have one. Inovonics Wireless has the best range that I have worked with although some guys I respect with lots of wireless experience prefer ITI. Bosch 9412GV2 works with Inovonics Wireless and supports up to 238 RF points and eight partitions of regualr partitions, master partitions, associate partitions or shared partitions and could technically do what you're asking. I am certain there are many others brands with similar offerings but I have experience with Bosch gear (a lot) and ASIM (not many because most end users faint at the price) and have done similar set ups. No big problems to report yet.

wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Roland Moore

Hi, I am owner of Javery Enterprises and we are an authority in Security Systems and like products.

We have put together very resonable and effective Security Systems for the Home, Apartment and Townhome. One of these systems will definitely work for your needs. Please check out the following pages and see what we put together.

Home-

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
If > I am looking for some initial information on the types of security

Reply to
jacolo

Not only is a sucker born every minute .......so are assholes.

Reply to
Jim

Agreed.

However, I've installed a couple of the Voice Alerts in the past month..they are very cool. I would NOT however connect it to the real alarm system we installed. And the Voice Alert is definitely not an alarm "system", just a cost effective way of creating an perimeter annunciation kinda thing.

| > We have put together very resonable and effective Security Systems for | > the Home, Apartment and Townhome. One of these systems will definitely | > work for your needs. | > Please check out the following pages and see what we put together. | >

| > Home-

formatting link
| > Apartment-
formatting link
| > Townhome-
formatting link
| >

| > If one of these systems don't work for you please visit my web site and | > checkout all our products.

formatting link
| >

| > If you have further questrions please contact me from my site. | >

| > Alan | | Not only is a sucker born every minute .......so are assholes. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Get a VERY LARGE dog!

Reply to
Ratchet442

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.