SwitchLinc reaction to power glitches

I have a Smarthome Smartlinc switch and a PowerLinc 1132 controller. In our area when we have storms, we get a few "auto-reclosures" on our electrical utility. That is, lightning strikes the primary (high voltage 44 kV) line somewhere, and our power goes out for just under 1 second until the substation breaker closes again. With a house full of electronics, I've never experienced any damage at all. No signs of a power surge. Just a quick OFF then back ON again. It is almost perfectly timed to make those outdoor motion lights turn on as if you deliberately flicked the switch quickly to turn them on manually. Anyway, within a month of when I received the Smartlinc switch, I noticed it would no longer respond to it's programmed house and unit code. It reset to A1. This happened a few more times before I realized that it was related to the electrical utility reclosures. I have whole house surge suppression too.

Then recently, we had another storm roll through with a few more of these quick outages. Now my PowerLinc controller no longer responds to X10. OK on the USB side. No damage to *any* other equipment.

Anyone else been having trouble with Smarthome products being sensitive to utility power glitches?

RF Dude

Reply to
RF Dude
Loading thread data ...

"RF Dude" wrote in news:0tEBe.13085$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

I have approx. 12 Smarthome Lamplinc, Switchlinc and toggle link Switches. When I experience a momentary power loss I lose the house and unit code on (2) Out of the 12. They are always the same 2. I do not know why only 2 out of the 12 behave this way. 1 is a switchlinc and the other a lamplinc.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Thanks Kevin. Did you get anywhere with Smarthome for replacements?

Reply to
RF Dude

"RF Dude" wrote in news:d_bCe.42532$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com:

Actually I never tried. However I have sent some other items back to Smarthome and never had a problem. I really don't know why I haven't tried to send them back as it can be quite a nuisance. If you haven't had the switches for long I would try to send them back. You will have to obtain an R.A. Number to send anything back. Just for info, The 2 I seem to have a problem with were the 1st 2 I bought a year or so ago. I am wondering if they haven't increased thier quality control? For the most part I am most happy with the smarthome products. A word of caution though, Try not to load up on the 2 way models. The more x10 transmitters on the line the more intermittent problems you will experience.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.