Switches Anyone?

We want to set up some switches that provide inputs to an NVR that will trigger presets on a PTZ camera.

We have 16 inputs available but will likely only need 5 or so.

Do any of you know of a ready made console with momentary switches so we won't have to spend a bunch of time crafting something? We would rather avoid project boxes from rat shack and I don't have the skills to work sheet metal.

Ideally, the switches would be spaced out enough to label each one with the view of that preset.

I tried to google for switch console but it was mostly network equipment...

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
JoeRaisin
Loading thread data ...

rigger presets on a PTZ camera. We have 16 inputs available but will likely only need 5 or so. Do any of you know of a ready made console with momenta ry switches so we won't have to spend a bunch of time crafting something? W e would rather avoid project boxes from rat shack and I don't have the skil ls to work sheet metal. Ideally, the switches would be spaced out enough to label each one with the view of that preset. I tried to google for switch console but it was mostly network equipment... Thanks in advance.

Try these people. Little company but they have and make some pretty neat st uff. Click on products, click on custom products, click on download PDF. Lo oks like some kind of a switch box down at the bottom of the screen. I'm su re they've made something like you what you need for some one else. Couldn' t hurt to give them a call just to see what they'd charge you.

formatting link

Reply to
Jim

What am I missing? If it has inputs can't you just use the dry contacts from your triggers to trigger your PTZ? I know Spectra Domes are internally programmable to take specific inputs and go to specific presets. Are you moving the PTZ from the NVR? If so I still don't see why you cant trigger the inputs on the NVR from the dry contacts on your signal source. Is it a voltage trigger +5 : >+1 like using one of the pins on an LPT port? Then just route a regulated 5VDC power source through your dry contacts. (don't forget to tie your grounds together) All your stuff NC? Then get a small bank of relays.

Or... are you trying to build an external mechanical preset selector? In that case buy a project box and fit it with a bunch of arcade buttons. Arcade buttons are fairly cheap, and the micro switches on them will take a beating, and they are form C. Check fleabay for those if you don't find another source.

Like I said, "What am I missing?" Its all pretty basic electrical circuits.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I guess reading comprehension is an issue for me today. The last is what you want to do. If worse comes to worse I can build you one. If got a bunch of X-Arcade buttons laying around the shop left over from my last CNC console build.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Found a couple places on the web that sell attractive plastic or metal project boxes. Still don't know what the boss wants to do, but with a decent box, putting in switches, doing the wiring and setting up for connections won't be hard at all and I've let him know it won't take too much time.

A sharp drill bit, a hot soldering iron and zippity zoppity ya got the console...

He's still hoping for an off the shelf solution. I don't think it's out there.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Custom solutions are so fast and easy these days that its hardly worth trying to shoehorn an off the shelf solution. Black plastic wallpaper, plastic edge trim, and some MDF and you can have a custom solution that looks like it was mass produced in a factory with actual quality control. The same effort with a brushed aluminum project box, and you get a really cool industrial looking custom solution. I cheat. I do stuff like that on one of the CNC machines. I got into it as a hobby, but now I make so much stuff on them I don't know how I ever got along without them. Its pretty cool when you make a custom face plate for something and your company name becomes a permanent part of the building.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Just out of curiosity I checked Fleabay for an off the shelf solution. There is just so much cool crap there... anyway. I didn't find any preassembled consoles, but there were some cool panels of buttons you could mount in a console.

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Ok... I did find one complete console. LOL.

formatting link

Actually I have parted out a couple of these for the buttons and joysticks. They have DB connectors on the back and a little logic board, but internally its just a bunch of standard microswitches.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:05:23 PM UTC-4, JoeRaisin wrote: > > I guess reading comprehension is an issue for me today. The last is > what you want to do. If worse comes to worse I can build you one. If > got a bunch of X-Arcade buttons laying around the shop left over from my > last CNC console build. Found a couple places on the web that sell attractive plastic or metal pro ject boxes. Still don't know what the boss wants to do, but with a decent b ox, putting in switches, doing the wiring and setting up for connections wo n't be hard at all and I've let him know it won't take too much time. A sha rp drill bit, a hot soldering iron and zippity zoppity ya got the console.. . <

If it doesn't have to look pretty, after obtaining the parts I don't think it would take more than an hour .... hour and a half to make it.

You'll probably find one eventually but if you count the time you'd spend l ooking for it it's probably not going to be as cheap as buying the parts an d making it yourself.

Reply to
Jim

On Thursday, April 11, 2013 6:17:28 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote:

dont-email.me... > On 4/11/2013 5:40 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> "Bob La Lon de" wrote in message >> news:o1G9t.458245$uU.86624@newsfe

11.iad... >>> "JoeRaisin" wrote in message >>> ne ws:kk51sj$4v8$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me... >>>> We want to set up some switches that provide inputs to an NVR that >>>> will trigger presets on a PTZ camera. >>

t enough to label each one >>>> with the view of that preset. >>>> >>>> I t ried to google for switch console but it was mostly network >>>> equipment. .. >>>> >>>> Thanks in advance. >>> >>> >>> What am I missing? If it has in puts can't you just use the dry >>> contacts from your triggers to trigger your PTZ? I know Spectra Domes >>> are internally programmable to take spec ific inputs and go to specific >>> presets. Are you moving the PTZ from the NVR? If so I still don't >>> see why you cant trigger the inputs on the NV R from the dry contacts >>> on your signal source. Is it a voltage trigger

+5 : >+1 like using >>> one of the pins on an LPT port? Then just route a r egulated 5VDC >>> power source through your dry contacts. (don't forget to tie your >>> grounds together) All your stuff NC? Then get a small bank of relays. >>> >>> Or... are you trying to build an external mechanical preset selector? >>> In that case buy a project box and fit it with a bunch of ar cade >>> buttons. Arcade buttons are fairly cheap, and the micro switches o n >>> them will take a beating, and they are form C. Check fleabay for >>> those if you don't find another source. >>> >>> Like I said, "What am I mis sing?" Its all pretty basic electrical >>> circuits. >> >> I guess reading comprehension is an issue for me today. The last is >> what you want to do. If worse comes to worse I can build you one. If >> got a bunch of X-Arcade buttons laying around the shop left over from my >> last CNC console build . > > Found a couple places on the web that sell attractive plastic or meta l > project boxes. Still don't know what the boss wants to do, but with a > decent box, putting in switches, doing the wiring and setting up for > con nections won't be hard at all and I've let him know it won't take too > muc h time. > > A sharp drill bit, a hot soldering iron and zippity zoppity ya got the > console... > > He's still hoping for an off the shelf solution. I don't think it's out > there. Custom solutions are so fast and easy these days that its hardly worth trying to shoehorn an off the shelf solution. Bl ack plastic wallpaper, plastic edge trim, and some MDF and you can have a c ustom solution that looks like it was mass produced in a factory with actua l quality control. The same effort with a brushed aluminum project box, and you get a really cool industrial looking custom solution. I cheat. I do st uff like that on one of the CNC machines. I got into it as a hobby, but now I make so much stuff on them I don't know how I ever got along without the m. Its pretty cool when you make a custom face plate for something and your company name becomes a permanent part of the building.

Jeeeze Bob, how much does a machine like that go for? How big?

I've got custromers with CNC machines so big that you can walk around insid e them but they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. My customer says he has one thats so expensive the mfg doesn't even sell it. You can only lease it. Every time I go there and go into the shop, I just stand there and sta re at the damn things while they're going though all their steps. Amazing!

Reply to
Jim

I don't have anything that big. My first machine only weighs about a hundred pounds and sets in an aluminum cabinet on a work bench. I think the base machine cost about $1700, and I put another 13-1600 in it to get how it is today. I really need to retire it, but it makes saleable parts. I have a couple other machines in that same class give or take. My biggest machine is only about 2 tons with a 5HP spindle and a work envelope of 14"x24"x18" apx.

To be honest I enjoy machining and metalworking so much if I could make the transition easily I would quit contracting this evening. I already manufacture a few custom parts, and developed a little bit of a quiet reputation in a certain niche market. In fact there are people manufacturing products all the way around the world using parts I made for them on my "toy" CNC machines. Sweden, Mexico, UK, Australia, etc...

I also really enjoy building and retrofitting machines. I probably waste to much time turning junk machines into good machines, but I like it.

If you would believe it, I paid $500 for my biggest machine, and I have maybe $1500 more into it including the computer. Most of the expense has been little stuff. It adds up. I bought it to retrofit, and I have it running with Mach 3 under Windows XP. I'm debating switching it over to LinuxCNC. It cooks along pretty good at 250 inches per minute. Not to bad when you figure the table and saddle are about 1000 pounds. I could run it faster, but that was what the original manufacturer had it running at and I don't want to embarrass them. LOL.

Now, my brother in-law is a manager for a company that has some big machines. They are cranking out jet engine and aircraft parts with machines that wouldn't even fit in my shop. (my shop is 50'x60'x16')

Anyway, I have a CNC router with 12"x14"x3" apx envelope that is perfect for making custom control panels. If its dedicated and not likely to change I engrave everything after I am done doing all the cutouts. Sunday I will probably spend the day in the shop cutting some molds. Tomorrow I have to go finish an alarm I have been putting off all week.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Bob,

I would be interested in talking about what you can and can't make on your CNC machines as well as cost/quantity, etc. I use to have your email address but with a major computer issue late last year I am now rebuilding my contact list. How can we reconnect with out posting to the universe so to speak??

TIA

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

alarm(underscore)wizard AThotmail-dot-com

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On Friday, April 12, 2013 10:41:42 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: Custom solutions are so fast and easy these days >> that its hardly worth trying to shoehorn an off the shelf solution. Black >> plastic wallpaper, p lastic edge trim, and some MDF and you can have a >> custom solution that l ooks like it was mass produced in a factory with >> actual quality control. The same effort with a brushed aluminum project >> box, and you get a real ly cool industrial looking custom solution. I >> cheat. I do stuff like tha t on one of the CNC machines. I got into it as >> a hobby, but now I make s o much stuff on them I don't know how I ever got >> along without them. Its pretty cool when you make a custom face plate for >> something and your co mpany name becomes a permanent part of the building. > >

Jeeeze Bob, how much does a machine like that go for? How big? > > I've got custromers with CNC machines so big that you can walk around > inside them but they cost hundreds of thousands of dollars. My customer > says he has one thats so expensive the mfg doesn't even sell it. You can > only lease i t. Every time I go there and go into the shop, I just stand > there and sta re at the damn things while they're going though all their > steps. Amazing ! I don't have anything that big. My first machine only weighs about a hund red pounds and sets in an aluminum cabinet on a work bench. I think the bas e machine cost about $1700, and I put another 13-1600 in it to get how it i s today. I really need to retire it, but it makes saleable parts. I have a couple other machines in that same class give or take. My biggest machine i s only about 2 tons with a 5HP spindle and a work envelope of 14"x24"x18" a px. To be honest I enjoy machining and metalworking so much if I could make the transition easily I would quit contracting this evening. I already man ufacture a few custom parts, and developed a little bit of a quiet reputati on in a certain niche market. In fact there are people manufacturing produc ts all the way around the world using parts I made for them on my "toy" CNC machines. Sweden, Mexico, UK, Australia, etc... I also really enjoy buildi ng and retrofitting machines. I probably waste to much time turning junk ma chines into good machines, but I like it. If you would believe it, I paid $

500 for my biggest machine, and I have maybe $1500 more into it including t he computer. Most of the expense has been little stuff. It adds up. I bough t it to retrofit, and I have it running with Mach 3 under Windows XP. I'm d ebating switching it over to LinuxCNC. It cooks along pretty good at 250 in ches per minute. Not to bad when you figure the table and saddle are about 1000 pounds. I could run it faster, but that was what the original manufact urer had it running at and I don't want to embarrass them. LOL. Now, my bro ther in-law is a manager for a company that has some big machines. They are cranking out jet engine and aircraft parts with machines that wouldn't eve n fit in my shop. (my shop is 50'x60'x16') Anyway, I have a CNC router with 12"x14"x3" apx envelope that is perfect for making custom control panels. If its dedicated and not likely to change I engrave everything after I am d one doing all the cutouts. Sunday I will probably spend the day in the shop cutting some molds. Tomorrow I have to go finish an alarm I have been putt ing off all week.

Sounds like a great brain exerciser.

With another 10 hours in a day, and another day in a week .... it sounds li ke it's something I'd like to do too.

Reply to
Jim

Use a cheap PLC, you can program them to do anything you want.

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

rigger presets on a PTZ camera. We have 16 inputs available but will likely only need 5 or so. Do any of you know of a ready made console with momenta ry switches so we won't have to spend a bunch of time crafting something? W e would rather avoid project boxes from rat shack and I don't have the skil ls to work sheet metal. Ideally, the switches would be spaced out enough to label each one with the view of that preset. I tried to google for switch console but it was mostly network equipment... Thanks in advance.

Hey Joe!

I was looking for something else and came across these.

formatting link

Reply to
Jim

trigger presets on a PTZ camera. We have 16 inputs available but will likely only need 5 or so. Do any of you know of a ready made console with momentary switches so we won't have to spend a bunch of time crafting something? We would rather avoid project boxes from rat shack and I don't have the skills to work sheet metal. Ideally, the switches would be spaced out enough to label each one with the view of that preset. I tried to google for switch console but it was mostly network equipment... Thanks in advance.

I think we got it.

Someone posted a link, or a link that got me to a link... or something...

Anyway, a webiste that had some good looking project boxes. I'm just waiting for the go ahead and order a couple. I think I have the boss convinced that installing the switches and wiring the box won't take up a bunch of man hours.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Aliexpress is a sale listing / escrow service for China based companies. Often I have found items on Aliexpress for the same price as on Ebay, but the item on Aliexpress always seems to be more "complete."

I bought a variable frequency drive through Aliexpress for one of my spindle motors a while back. It was the only place I could find one that met all my specs.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 6:16:55 AM UTC-4, JoeRaisin wrote: Hey Joe! > > I was looking for something else and came across these. > > h ttp://

formatting link
>

I think we got it. Someone posted a link, or a link that got me to a link.. . or something... Anyway, a webiste that had some good looking project boxe s. I'm just waiting for the go ahead and order a couple. I think I have the boss convinced that installing the switches and wiring the box won't take up a bunch of man hours.

Give me the link you found. I'm looking for some switches and boxes too.

Reply to
Jim

On Tuesday, April 16, 2013 4:02:18 PM UTC-4, Bob La Londe wrote: Hey Joe! > > I was looking for something else and came across these. > > ht tp://

formatting link

Aliexpress is a sale listing / escrow service for China based companies. Of ten I have found items on Aliexpress for the same price as on Ebay, but the item on Aliexpress always seems to be more "complete." I bought a variable frequency drive through Aliexpress for one of my spindle motors a while ba ck. It was the only place I could find one that met all my specs.

What is a variable frequency drive? I know what is sounds like it is but

Are you just talking about variable 50/60 cycle or something different? And why would you need that on a spindle drive ( I presume for your CNC mac hine)

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.