swapping napco 1632 panel

My neighbors have an old 1632 panel without the panel code and would like to put in a new one so they can have the code if they ever wanted to make changes etc. I have the napco software but have never done this before. Can I just reconnect the new panel the same way the old one was? What do I need to do after I have swapped it as far as programming goes?

Thanks for everyones help Steven

Reply to
Ziggy
Loading thread data ...

I'm not sure if this works with the 1632, but you might be able to get into programing if you could get a new chip from Napco.

Reply to
Jim

That's SOP for the P3200 and P9600. IIRC, Napco doesn't offer a replacement chip for the P1632. The default master code for the P1632 is 456789. Jim Rojas or Bobo Campbell (aka "Tourman") might be able to default the panel for the gentleman. However, that would require reprogramming the panel from scratch afterward.

The panel can be replaced (reprogramming still required, obviously). I checked with my distributor and the replacement board is about $82 retail. Dealers can get it for about $65. Programming by keypad is a pain but doable. PC software for Napco is free. There's a dongle you can get to connect the Napco control panel to a PC.

A Napco tech support guy once told me a procedure for defaulting the P1632. It involved removing all power from the panel and then shorting one of the pins to ground. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the exact procedure. It would probably be unwise to just short things at random as there is a small voltage (that's what you're killing by shorting) in a cap circuit. Perhaps Jim (aka Alarminex) knows the specifics?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

ent chip for the P1632. The default master code for the

e to default the panel for the gentleman. However, that

hecked with my distributor and the replacement board is

ad is a pain but doable. PC software for Napco is free.

2=2E It involved removing all power from the panel and then

act procedure. It would probably be unwise to just short

by shorting) in a cap circuit. Perhaps Jim (aka Alarminex)

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

Robert.

Thank you for the response. I have the software and the cable to connect to the panel. I have made changes to my p3200 but never programed a new panel from scratch.

Steven

Reply to
Ziggy

You're welcome, Steven. The P1632 isn't hard to program, especially with the software. I'm assuming you have the current release. If not, let me know and I'll show you where to get it.

If you need help with the initial programming, feel free to call me some evening and I'll walk you through it. The whole procedure takes maybe 15-20 minutes.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>

I just don't want to get the panel then not be able to program it, they have wireless motion sensors, wireless window and smokes I believe and also a wirelss keyfob which they need to add an extra one. Will I need to check anything else on the system in order to program it? I assume I can see these things via the keypad?

Reply to
Ziggy

Ziggy inspired greatness with:

As soon as you connect to the panel, download the current program and save it so you can upload it again in case of a 'fubar'.

BTW, depending on what state you're in, this may be illegal for you to do unless you are a licensed dealer. You appear to be posting from New York, which has laws regulating "service" of an alarm system. You may find out that no good deed goes unpunished as it concerns your liability to the neighbor if something goes wrong, and the state for operating without proper licensing.

Reply to
Cam-man

Good point but for the sake of clarity, we usually refer to transferring data from the panel to the PC as uploading -- not downloading.

Sorry, but that is absolutely wrong. There are no laws anywhere in the US preventing someone from servicing his own residential alarm panel. Likewise, anyone can help a friend, relative or neighbor for free without getting a state license. If the gentleman was doing it for pay, then we agree -- a license is required in NY State.

NY's licensing law applies to folks who do the work for pay -- not DIYers.

While the neighbor might be able to sue, he'd have to demonstrate gross negligence to go after a friend who only does the job as a courtesy. The state has no interest in neighbors helping each other out fixing an alarm when there's no payment involved.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Further info regarding NYS licensing:

"Business of Installing, Servicing or Maintaining Security or Fire Alarm Systems"

"Article 6-D General Business Law"

§69-l. Definitions "3. "Licensee" means a person as herein defined licensed to engage in the business of installing, servicing or maintaining security or fire alarm systems under this article."

"§69-m. License required" "Furthermore, a property owner or proprietor who purchases or owns an alarm system to be installed by him or his employees onto his property or place of business shall not fall under the provisions of this article."

Bear in mind that the whole license requirement under NY statute is predicated upon the licensee engaging in the business. Doing a favor for free is no more engaging in the business than changing your neighbor's oil makes you a licensed mechanic.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

business of installing, servicing or maintaining security

system to be installed by him or his employees onto his

upon the licensee engaging in the business. Doing a

neighbor's oil makes you a licensed mechanic.

I'm not going to engage you in another argument, you have a good guess of who I am, and I would like to keep our correspondence civil for as long as possible.

I am simply pointing out the fact that this activity may fall under NY regulatory provisions. Neither you or I know what (if any) fees this "neighborly" act entails. I would also point out that just because no compensation may be demanded, a liability exists of anyone performing any type of work on whomever's property - good intentions, paid or not.

Reply to
Cam-man

There is a procedure I found for the P1632 to get to the dealer code without defaulting anything using a PCI2000. in direct mode. Never heard of a pin short procedure for one.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

N-

Would you consider E-mailing me that information?

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.