Suggestions on inexpensive video security

Hi all:

I've recently become the target of a couple of neighborhood kids who like to ring the doorbell at midnight and run away. I'd like to catch them on video, so their parents (or police, if necessary) can be shown proof.

My thought is to set up an inexpensive video camera looking at the door. Perhaps I'll use two, one looking at the door (to show doorbell being pushed), one looking from the door to get the perp's face. I've found some motion-activated cameras rated for outdoor use for $40. The output from these would ideally be recorded on video tape for use as evidence.

My delemma is how to record the output. I can't figure out how to have the VCR start and stop in response to the camera. I could put a separate motion detector outside the house and have it power on the VCR, but then it won't automatically start recording. I could set up the VCR to record each night starting at dusk and get 6 hours worth, but resetting this every night would be a pain. Does anyone make an "endless" VHS tape so I can let it record 24/7?Also, I don't know how to combine the video from multiple cameras. Is there an inexpensive "box" out there that will combine two video signals and tile them into a single output signal for the VCR? If not, I guess I can find a couple of yard sale VCRs and have one for each camera.

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards, Sleepless...

Reply to
the_tool_man
Loading thread data ...

Sams sells several off the shelf system that includes multiple cameras, recorder and monitor for around $500. This would be a quick and easy way to protect your home.

Reply to
Allan Waghalter

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.