Suggest for placement of ADT/Ademco wireless window sensors

We install them in the wall for jobs like that, then fish the wires down to the transmitter...and charge a lot extra for it.

Biggest question here is the house looks like NEW construction....like still under construction...like why didn;t it get wired?

| > this wasn't an "ADT problem" it was a problem with the sales folks at | > numerous companies, all of which CAME TO MY HOUSE, and still couldn't | > explain how they could avoid major aesthetic issues with 22 windows. | | If you use wireless transmitters on your windows, and the blinds are in the | way, the transmitters will either be mounted on the the window frame as you | mentioned, or outside the blinds making them visible. What do you expect the | installers to do? Do a little magic trick just for you? | Doug already gave you the best solution. Stop whining, will ya? | js | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon
Loading thread data ...

Try it...it won't work.

But I do agree that you should have both types of detection.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Because salesmen aren't installers and very rarely do they know how such a problem can be resolved.

In my own house, any windows I couldn't get a wire to, got a 5816 behind the trim wired to a recessed contact. (and, yes there are drawings in the can describing where the transmitters are located)

Putting the transmitters in single gang boxes such as Crash described is another trick I've used.

Find out if your installers are paid by the hour or by the job. A guy paid hourly who has his bosses blessing on doing the job right will be more likely to take the time necessary to do a job like yours correctly.

There are conscientious installers out there who are paid by the job, but you are not guaranteed to get one.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

the house is new construction but from a builder and pre-wiring was not an option sadly, clearly i would have done that. the photo i used was from before completion of the house, we have been in the house for 2 weeks now.

the transmitters used will be the 5816 for the windows.

Reply to
canyonblue

The 5816 has a built in switch which would mean the transmitter box has to be mounted on or next to the moving part of the window. This causes the problems you alluded to earlier.

It also has connections for the smaller wired-type recessed switches. This will allow the transmitters to be hidden from view with a wire fished to the window attatched to a small hidden contact that will not only leave your blinds unmolested but will be hardly (if at all) noticable.

Since you are concerned about how the transmitters will affect your window treatments, you should ask the company about this option.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

I've been in this biz. a long time, been to many post-break-ins and have NEVER seen a "heavy old blanket hanging over the window sill covering all of the broken glass".

Once entry IS made and if un-detected they have to get the "goods" out somehow, which will almost always involve opening a door or window.

I's rather see GB protection too, backed up by contacts, further backed up by interior protection.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.