Suggest for placement of ADT/Ademco wireless window sensors

I am having an ADT system installed (ADT direct, not a reseller) and will be using their rebranded Ademco wireless window sensors on 18 windows on my main level. The windows are new, warrantied, and white vinyl which is why I am going wireless.

The problem is related to my window blinds. My two inch blinds (which I always leave in the full down position but swivel open and close daily) leave less than a 1/2 inch between the back of the blinds when open and the window surface. This appears to be less than the depth of the sensor if we place it on the vertical side of the lower window (they are single hung windows that have the bottom window slide up and down). This would push the blinds out a slight bit (they would be touching the sensor) and that seems unacceptable. The same issue exists if I mount the sensor to the bottom sill as the blinds would rest on the sensor which would look bad and perhaps cause the same issue. I can't mount the sensors horizontally on the top corners of the bottom window (with the magnet in the track) because the latches for the window to rotate into the house are located there...

The only place left I can think of? DEAD CENTER of the horizontal top of the bottom window with the magnet on the glass surface of the upper non-moving window. Do you think this will be horribly ugly? The sensor matches the color of the white vinyl windows and the blinds should help concel the boxes but I am really concerned about the look of the whole deal.

Any suggestions on other mounting options.

Reply to
canyonblue
Loading thread data ...

Let the alarm company provide the solution, that's what they're paid for.

I feel sorry for the installer coming to your place == you're gonna second guess him every step of the way and follow him around like a puppy dog, aren't ya?

Reply to
G. Morgan

wow, just wow.

not quite the answer i was expecting. because i *value* my new home, and my family i have done quite a bit of research, yes, including getting quotes and professional opinions from several alarm companies, including major nationals as well as independent companies. because of the nature of my windows a wireless install is called for, yet significant hurdles remain and all the alarms companies i spoke with have been less than clear how their wireless soultions will be mounted to attempt to preserve the look of the window since i have a particular kind of blind. since i am concerned, and rightfully so based on posts in this very forum, that some installers will "lick 'em and stick 'em" when they show to my house i would like to be prepared with reasonable suggests from experienced folks if their suggestions aren't superior. I am afterall the home owner and customer.

will i follow them around? no. will i be open to their professional opinions and suggests... yes. will i be involved and understand the logic of every details of my extensive security system, ie. placement, operations, aestitics etc. ... you bet!

NOW IF ANYONE IS WILLING TO HELP ME i have a photo of what all the windows in general look like (before the blinds were placed.)

formatting link

Reply to
canyonblue

Exactly my thought when I read your THREE posts.

Okay, that's reasonable. I just got the feeling from the tone of your posts that you were going to be telling the installer how do his job.

I have two suggestions for the windows. First, I don't know if you're aware that there is a separate contact point inside the 5816 transmitter that will allow an external window contact to be used. So in x-mitter can be mounted below the sill, or somewhere else out or the way and just run a short jumper to mini-mag contacts that will actually go on the windows. Second, if the internal contact is to be used and you lack a small amount of clearance for the blinds there is a low profile transmitter available, PN 5816MN.

That is good... and rare actually. Hopefully you don't get a 'dud' installer. If you do --politely excuse him and call the installation manager to get someone you feel comfortable with.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I would use a smaller sensor, either of the following may work if you are able to use a different brand system, these particular products are made by Secure wireless for DSC, other brands may also have have wireless sensors available which may work for you.

formatting link
formatting link
The questions you are asking should have been asked before making the decision on the company/products to use, why on earth would you have a company install a system for you if they are unable to provide an acceptable solution, unless the only question asked was "how much".

Whatever location you decide upon should only be considered tentative, since any wireless product should be tested for acceptable signal strength in its intended location before permanently installing it and it may not be possible to mount it in the desired location.

BTW using capitals is considered shouting on usenet.

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Don't let that guy bother you, friend. Graham is the village idiot of this newsgroup.

There are 1/4" x 1/4" self-stick magnetic window contacts which your installer may want to try. One of the most popular is called a

1035. It's made by GE Security (formerly Sentrol). Since you're having the system professionally installed, ask the salesman if he will try those or something similar. If they flat refuse, you can order them online and swap them with the ones the alarm company puts in. They're not expensive.
Reply to
Robert L Bass

"Robert L Bass" a écrit dans le message de news: NdGdneF2lN-9Yq3YnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com...

you forgot to tell the OP that if he do switch the contact he will loose any right to sue the Alarm company if by any chance one of the contact fail to create an alarm,since they are provided by him....

Reply to
Petem

It could also void the warranty or his maintenance agreement. Of course, Bass could care less about "contracts".

Reply to
Frank Olson

Reply to
Everywhere Man

Well, here's my feelings on window sensors. I assume you lock your windows, therefore the sensors will only go into alarm if the window is opened and if I were a burglar I would not sit there for a hour trying to jimmy your window open to no avail when I could have bent over and picked up a brick and crash the window in, taking about a whole whopping .02 seconds to do it. Consider using glassbreak detectors.

Reply to
Ratchet442

But that same burglar will reach in and open the window instead of trying to crawl through a window frame full of broken glass

Reply to
Mark Leuck

If he's a friggin moron maybe. Most of the incidents I've seen around here, you'll find a broken glass window with a heavy old blanket hanging over the window sill covering all of the broken glass. Don't take me wrong, I'd prefer to see most customers with window sensors and glassbreaks. But I'd prefer to see them start with the glassbreaks.

Reply to
Ratchet442

Duct tape is applied Glass is smashed Duct tape silences the sound Hardly no broken glass to deal with GLASS BREAK FAILS PIR TRIPS WHEN BURGLAR WALK THRU YOU NEED TO BACK UP ALL TYPES OF GLASS PROTECTION WITH INTERIOR MOTIONS .

Reply to
Group-Moderator

if you read my first post i made clear that i have talked to FOUR different alarm installers (of which ADT is one, the other 3 are highly recommended Chicago locals) and all FOUR had difficulty explaining how they would attempt to install the window contacts (three incuding ADT recommended wireless sensors but had little suggestions for how to avoid either putting my blinds out of place or putting the sensor dead center on the window pane and the other suggested drilling my new vinyl windows since "it won't void the warranty, we promise" despite my telling them i called the window manufacturer.)

this wasn't an "ADT problem" it was a problem with the sales folks at numerous companies, all of which CAME TO MY HOUSE, and still couldn't explain how they could avoid major aesthetic issues with 22 windows.

Reply to
canyonblue

never thought i would say this after your first post to me, but this is an EXCELLENT response and truly useful.

Reply to
canyonblue

I had 4 different companies (only one of which was a major national, ADT) all come to the house and each spent 45-60 minutes and all had difficulties explaining the window issues. At a certain point I can't keep calling and need to pick.

And BTW I knew captials was shouting, that is why I only used it for part of one sentence in a multi-paragraph reply, a part I wanted to come through loud and clear.

Reply to
canyonblue

If you use wireless transmitters on your windows, and the blinds are in the way, the transmitters will either be mounted on the the window frame as you mentioned, or outside the blinds making them visible. What do you expect the installers to do? Do a little magic trick just for you? Doug already gave you the best solution. Stop whining, will ya? js

Reply to
alarman

One thing you could do IF you plan on using curtain as well is, install a very small surface mount contact and wire it to the transmitter, then mount the transmitter jsut next to, or on the window trim and hide it with curtains.

Reply to
Ratchet442

Ask for the mini transmitters, and mount them on the top of the window = frame, or mount the txm to the sill infront of the window, and simply stop = your blinds on top of the sensor.

look at these sensors

formatting link

Reply to
Tommy

New construction? Why the heck didn't you have the house wired?

They're gonna stick the 5816's wherever they will fit.

Here's how we do it on tough houses like that...and we charge more for it.

We cut a single gang hole in the wall underneath the the window at outlet height where we will put the transmitter, then we drill down through the window sill and run the contact down to the transmitter, the blank plate it. Time consuming but looks great.

Has ADT actually looked at those windows yet?

| > >wow, just wow. | >

| > Exactly my thought when I read your THREE posts. | >

| > >

| > Okay, that's reasonable. I just got the feeling from the tone of your | > posts that you were going to be telling the installer how do his job. | >

| > I have two suggestions for the windows. First, I don't know if you're | > aware that there is a separate contact point inside the 5816 | > transmitter that will allow an external window contact to be used. So | > in x-mitter can be mounted below the sill, or somewhere else out or | > the way and just run a short jumper to mini-mag contacts that will | > actually go on the windows. Second, if the internal contact is to be | > used and you lack a small amount of clearance for the blinds there is | > a low profile transmitter available, PN 5816MN. | | > That is good... and rare actually. Hopefully you don't get a 'dud' | > installer. If you do --politely excuse him and call the installation | > manager to get someone you feel comfortable with. | | never thought i would say this after your first post to me, but this is | an EXCELLENT response and truly useful. |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.