Stupid Human tricks

Last week I tried to get my invoicing done on Thursday so I could go fishing on Friday. No such luck. I spent the whole afternoon tackling a takeover. Programming and testing was no big deal, and the add-ons the customer purchased made it worth while.

Friday I headed into the office bright and early thinking I would crank them out and get it going. First thing I did was load up a bunch of envelopes in the ol' high (relatively) speed inkjet and set it to print them while I finished invoicing. It trashed more envelopes than it printed. Oh, well. Sent the envelope job to the older printer on the network, and it printed them ok. 2-3 at a time between paper jams. Grrrrrr.....

Thinking to save my self a bunch of time in the future I headed over to the office supply store to buy a new printer. I bought a nice fast laser printer. Spent a half an hour getting it loaded on the network so all the computers could use it, and ran a test page from each machine. Cool. I loaded a stack of window envelopes in the tray and sent a print job to run off a hundred envelopes.... oops. Not a good idea. It melted the window in a dozen envelopes before I could get it shut off. LOL.

Spent the rest of the day printing my envelopes in the old inkjet at slower than crud speeds and unjammed it every few envelopes. I think it actually felt sorry for me, because by the end it was running 30-40 envelopes between jams.

Oh, well. You gotta love this planned obsolescence.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Much easier to just print labels...not as pretty though.

Actually...MUCH easier to use window envelopes that fit your invoices!...no envelope printing at all that way!!

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Hey, Bob Why are you printing window envelopes?? js

Reply to
alarman

I have to say that I also went through all that too, only it was years and years ago, before there were relatively inexpensive printers that would print on envelopes. I went through the whole lable thing, getting lables on wrong envelopes. Putting bills in wrong envelopes. Trying pre-enclosed bills on tractor feed paper, for use with an impact printer. When the ink jets came down in price and their envelope printing capabilities SUPPOSEDLY was perfected, I tried that. And all of this was simply to avoid having to pay, what I considered, the exorbitant amount they charge for double window envelopes. Well ............. now I know why they charge so much. I think it's actually not because it cost that much more to make them than regular envelopes. It's because they know damn well that no one has got a good way to reliably print on plain envelopes, with out often wasting more than you get out of a good run and that lables are too labor intensive and too many mix-ups occur.

If I hadn't gone though all that, I would really begrudge the amount they get for the double window envelopes .......... but not now.

Well .......... maybe I still begrudge it ........... a little bit ......:-)

Reply to
Jim

Pretty little logo and return address on envelope. Worked great for a long time, but alas the expensive high speed inkjet is dying. Still handles plain paper ok, but it won't handle anything else well anymore. I can use it for invoicing, except this new laser does that so much faster.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yeah, I may just break down and buy those exorbitant little double window invoice envelopes. Fortunately with Quick Books its easy enough to redesign my invoices to show properly.

In the past I just print envelopes in the background while doing invoicing. Sadly this time it took me almost two full days to get my monthly invoicing done. Usually it takes me less than one. I guess 8 hrs at 75/hr I didn't save much... LOL

Actually I was finally getting around to integrating all those accounts I picked up when I bought out Desert Alarm two years ago. Until Friday I was letting the CS bill them as DA had done. I'm sure that accounted for some of my lost time (but not no stinking 8 or 9 hours worth.)

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Especially when, all the while you're swearing and grumbling, you can hear the bass calling you, all the way from the lake. :-)

Reply to
Jim

Don't know how much the prices would vary from area to area but I'm paying $36.00/$38.00 per 500 from Staples. Office Max is about the same. In the past, I've looked on line and with shipping, even from the discount houses, it all winds up just a few dollars different. Haven't checked on line lately or Walmarts either. I just think they're going to remain at that price until someone comes out with a more convenient method to lable envelopes and co-ordinate it with the contents.

I started out with lables, when I first started. Something always got screwed up with a mailing or trying to print just a few lables because some got screwed up or something.

The all-enclosed invoice with the tractor fed paper was pretty costly also but it sure was convenient. But now you can't get a tractor feed impact printer, that'll print clearly through all the copies anymore..... for a reasonable price... that is. I had a Toshiba pin printer that I think would have printed through a piece of cardboard. Printer cost $2000.00 back in the 80's. It was 130 column wide. Just threw it out about a year or so ago. No one had parts to repair the print head, anymore. In all that time, the only thing to fail on it was the print head ...... once in the 90's. By the time it went again, they didn't make parts for it anymore. Thing weighed about 40 pounds. Shoulda bought a spare print head for it, I guess.

Anyway, the all enclosed invoice got too expensive, so that's when I went to ink jet, which didn't work for me. Then back to the impact printer with double window envelopes. Now, laser with double window envelopes........ which is more expensive than the impact printer what with toner supplies, paper and all. Impact printer had real inexpensive ribbon and inexpensive tractor feed paper.

I put it out on top of the garbage can by the curb for pick up and couldn't keep my self from watching them "just throw it in the back of their damn ol truck, like a piece of garbage" "Sniff sniff" I though maybe they'd just sort of, kind of ... ya know ... "place" it ....... Ya know what I mean? But they just THREW IT! "Sniff" Every once in a while, I come across an old ribbon cartridge or a piece of the edging from the tractor feed paper an ...... an ..... SNIFF ......

OHHHHH God! I'LL JUST NEVER FORGIVE THEM!

.....JUST LEAVE ME ALONE .......I DONT WANNA TALK ABOUT IT ANYMORE! LEAVE ME ALONE ... I SAID ...... DON'T, DON'T ........ JUST LEAVE ME BE....

I .. I'LL BE ALRIGHT IN A LITTLE WHILE. SNIFFFFFFFF!

Reply to
Jim

I guess. The envelopes I use have two windows, one for the return address. js

Reply to
alarman

You suffering from IPSS? Impact Printer Separation Syndrome. Do you need a good support group? Hang in there man...you'll make it through.

"Jim" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | | | Jim Rojas wrote: | > I use double window envelopes I buy from Walmart. | >

| > Jim Rojas | >

| >

| | | Don't know how much the prices would vary from area to area but I'm | paying $36.00/$38.00 per 500 from Staples. Office Max is about the | same. In the past, I've looked on line and with shipping, even from the | discount houses, it all winds up just a few dollars different. Haven't | checked on line lately or Walmarts either. I just think they're going | to remain at that price until someone comes out with a more convenient | method to lable envelopes and co-ordinate it with the contents. | | I started out with lables, when I first started. Something always got | screwed up with a mailing or trying to print just a few lables because | some got screwed up or something. | | The all-enclosed invoice with the tractor fed paper was pretty costly | also but it sure was convenient. But now you can't get a tractor feed | impact printer, that'll print clearly through all the copies | anymore..... for a reasonable price... that is. I had a Toshiba pin | printer that I think would have printed through a piece of cardboard. | Printer cost $2000.00 back in the 80's. It was 130 column wide. Just | threw it out about a year or so ago. No one had parts to repair the | print head, anymore. In all that time, the only thing to fail on it was | the print head ...... once in the 90's. By the time it went again, they | didn't make parts for it anymore. Thing weighed about 40 pounds. | Shoulda bought a spare print head for it, I guess. | | Anyway, the all enclosed invoice got too expensive, so that's when I | went to ink jet, which didn't work for me. Then back to the impact | printer with double window envelopes. Now, laser with double window | envelopes........ which is more expensive than the impact printer what | with toner supplies, paper and all. Impact printer had real inexpensive | ribbon and inexpensive tractor feed paper. | | I put it out on top of the garbage can by the curb for pick up and | couldn't keep my self from watching them "just throw it in the back of | their damn ol truck, like a piece of garbage" "Sniff sniff" I though | maybe they'd just sort of, kind of ... ya know ... "place" it ....... | Ya know what I mean? But they just THREW IT! "Sniff" Every once in a | while, I come across an old ribbon cartridge or a piece of the edging | from the tractor feed paper an ...... an ..... SNIFF ...... | | OHHHHH God! I'LL JUST NEVER FORGIVE THEM! | | ....JUST LEAVE ME ALONE .......I DONT WANNA TALK ABOUT IT ANYMORE! | LEAVE ME ALONE ... I SAID ...... DON'T, DON'T ........ JUST LEAVE ME | BE.... | | I .. I'LL BE ALRIGHT IN A LITTLE WHILE. SNIFFFFFFFF! |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Yah...I send out small #6 3/4 return envelopes...no stamp...and their small and cheep.

We have a few whiners that want the return envelopes. It does speed up payment from people that still send their own checks...but lately been getting lots of bill-pay. Freeked me out the other day I got 4 clients checks all in one bill-pay envelope...now I gotta really pay attention!

| > Jim Rojas | >

| >

| > > Friday I headed into the office bright and early thinking I would crank | > > them | > > out and get it going. First thing I did was load up a bunch of | envelopes | > > in | > > the ol' high (relatively) speed inkjet and set it to print them while I | > > finished invoicing. It trashed more envelopes than it printed. Oh, | well. | > > Sent the envelope job to the older printer on the network, and it | printed | > > them ok. 2-3 at a time between paper jams. Grrrrrr..... | > >

| > > Thinking to save my self a bunch of time in the future I headed over to | > > the | > > office supply store to buy a new printer. I bought a nice fast laser | > > printer. Spent a half an hour getting it loaded on the network so all | the | > > computers could use it, and ran a test page from each machine. Cool. I | > > loaded a stack of window envelopes in the tray and sent a print job to | run | > > off a hundred envelopes.... oops. Not a good idea. It melted the | window | > > in a dozen envelopes before I could get it shut off. LOL. | > >

| > > Spent the rest of the day printing my envelopes in the old inkjet at | > > slower | > > than crud speeds and unjammed it every few envelopes. I think it | actually | > > felt sorry for me, because by the end it was running 30-40 envelopes | > > between | > > jams. | > >

| > > Oh, well. You gotta love this planned obsolescence. | > >

| > >

| > >

| > >

| > >

| > > -- | > > The Security Consultant | > > Bob La Londe - Owner | > > 849 S Ave C | > > Yuma, Az 85364 | > >

| > > (928)782-9765 ofc | > > (928)782-7873 fax | > >

| > >

| >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

I'm using these guys:

formatting link
I use the #949 2-window envelope, and the #E-R6 return, which has a detachable flap for my customers to write-in call list changes and comments. js

Reply to
alarman

I have had a few returned by the PO, but not because of the last line. I put the attention line, if any, on the second line. I think the PO just screws up now and again. I do have to fold my invoices carefully though, so the addressee is visible even if the invoice moves a little inside the envelope. js

Reply to
alarman

What's with the cheapskates down there? I have never had anyone ask me to provide a stamp for the return envelope. js

Reply to
alarman

Probably, they're out of Colorado I think. js

Reply to
alarman

Ah. Geezerville, eh? js

Reply to
alarman

I bought me a Brother HL1440 laser printer. It won't print the address in the proper orientation on any envelope. It insists on printing the address sideways. Mickeysoft told me to edit the registry value. I've done that with every number from 0 - 9 and it doesn't make any difference. I've reconfigured it in the software, downloaded the latest drivers and am convinced I need a new printer. Brother has no tech support and doesn't answer their e-mail. The bad part is, this printer is on mickeysoft's compatible hardware list, so pretty much the list is meaningless. Remember when we had DOS and everything worked, or if it didn't you could tweak it so it would work.

Bob

Reply to
Roberto

Yah...I love their v-dubs...great marketing scheme!

"Bob Worthy" wrote in message news:6OBAe.59062$ snipped-for-privacy@bignews6.bellsouth.net... | | "Crash Gordon®" wrote in message | news:RFBAe.62$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net... | You suffering from IPSS? Impact Printer Separation Syndrome. Do you need a | good support group? Hang in there man...you'll make it through. | | Do you have the "GEEK SQUAD" out there? They are run all over down here with | their little VW's. | | | "Jim" wrote in message | news: snipped-for-privacy@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... | | | | | | Jim Rojas wrote: | | > I use double window envelopes I buy from Walmart. | | >

| | > Jim Rojas | | >

| | >

| | | | | | Don't know how much the prices would vary from area to area but I'm | | paying $36.00/$38.00 per 500 from Staples. Office Max is about the | | same. In the past, I've looked on line and with shipping, even from the | | discount houses, it all winds up just a few dollars different. Haven't | | checked on line lately or Walmarts either. I just think they're going | | to remain at that price until someone comes out with a more convenient | | method to lable envelopes and co-ordinate it with the contents. | | | | I started out with lables, when I first started. Something always got | | screwed up with a mailing or trying to print just a few lables because | | some got screwed up or something. | | | | The all-enclosed invoice with the tractor fed paper was pretty costly | | also but it sure was convenient. But now you can't get a tractor feed | | impact printer, that'll print clearly through all the copies | | anymore..... for a reasonable price... that is. I had a Toshiba pin | | printer that I think would have printed through a piece of cardboard. | | Printer cost $2000.00 back in the 80's. It was 130 column wide. Just | | threw it out about a year or so ago. No one had parts to repair the | | print head, anymore. In all that time, the only thing to fail on it was | | the print head ...... once in the 90's. By the time it went again, they | | didn't make parts for it anymore. Thing weighed about 40 pounds. | | Shoulda bought a spare print head for it, I guess. | | | | Anyway, the all enclosed invoice got too expensive, so that's when I | | went to ink jet, which didn't work for me. Then back to the impact | | printer with double window envelopes. Now, laser with double window | | envelopes........ which is more expensive than the impact printer what | | with toner supplies, paper and all. Impact printer had real inexpensive | | ribbon and inexpensive tractor feed paper. | | | | I put it out on top of the garbage can by the curb for pick up and | | couldn't keep my self from watching them "just throw it in the back of | | their damn ol truck, like a piece of garbage" "Sniff sniff" I though | | maybe they'd just sort of, kind of ... ya know ... "place" it ........ | | Ya know what I mean? But they just THREW IT! "Sniff" Every once in a | | while, I come across an old ribbon cartridge or a piece of the edging | | from the tractor feed paper an ...... an ..... SNIFF ...... | | | | OHHHHH God! I'LL JUST NEVER FORGIVE THEM! | | | | ....JUST LEAVE ME ALONE .......I DONT WANNA TALK ABOUT IT ANYMORE! | | LEAVE ME ALONE ... I SAID ...... DON'T, DON'T ........ JUST LEAVE ME | | BE.... | | | | I .. I'LL BE ALRIGHT IN A LITTLE WHILE. SNIFFFFFFFF! | | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Just bill the late fees separately...it's a pain though.

In the early days of bill-pay i'd gotten some with the client's name!...that drove me bonkers trying to figure out who had paid what.

I had even THROWN some out thinking they were solicitations for credit cards...yep...stupid me.

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

Return address??

Reply to
Bob Worthy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.