Stuff alarm installers notice

In the latest episode of "Longmire" at about 12min 30sec in there is a scene in a hospital room.

I have to wonder why there is an alarm keypad in a hospital room.

I have done work in hospitals - fire alarms, nurse call and access control. Never have I seen a keypad in a patient room.

The door/wall backdrop must have been recycled - maybe it was an office door once before.

Nothing about nothing - I know.

Do you guys notice keypads, motions and other alarm components in TV shows? Are they ever inappropriate (like one scene (and I can't remember the show) that has the characters looking around a home while the ademco keypad by the door has a red "armed" light on...)

Maybe it's just me...

Reply to
JoeRaisin
Loading thread data ...

Of course we notice.

Like ....... keypads on the outside of homes. When the alarm goes off the p olice come in minutes, 2 or three cars with lights and sirens. When nobody is home and someone crashes through the front door, where the keypad is ... . the alarm goes of instantly. Double hung windows with the magnet on the b ottom of the top sash and the contact on the top of the bottom sash and no window lock. People moving around in a room and the motion detector lights never come on in every movie!. LCD keypads on the wall with blank display s.

Reply to
Jim

TV and movies are never accurate. :D

Reply to
Ant

Actually we're supposed to turn off the LED's after testing!

Reply to
G. Morgan

All the time.

Heck, Simon, DSC, and DMP are inappropriate anytime anywhere.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

LOL

I can agree, though I don't have a huge problem with DSC - just HATE the little terminals on the panel.

As for aesthetics, I think the DSC keypads are the nicest looking keypads...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

If you are a DSC fan they should send you a bunch of the little screwdrivers to keep you from complaining. I think I still have a couple of them around somewhere.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I judge manufacturers by the quality of their screwdrivers

Reply to
mleuck

So how do you explain GRI? They make great contacts, and some of the lousiest screwdrivers I have ever used.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Actually we're supposed to turn off the LED's after testing! --

"Supposed to" ?

Reply to
Jim

Well, only if you want to prevent a potential burglar from casing the detection area. I read it in a cut-sheet once, of course theory and practice don't always jive.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Well, only if you want to prevent a potential burglar from casing the detection area. I read it in a cut-sheet once, of course theory and practice don't always jive. --

You give "potential burglars" the attribute of being smart.

Actually I think the LED coming on would discourage them.

Reply to
Jim

I know it keeps most customers happy.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

You get a screw driver with every bag of contacts.

Throw the screwdriver away with the bag.

OR .... Maybe there's a good screwdriver company out there that makes bad contacts.

Reply to
Jim

Yeah, DSC. We already covered that. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.