Strange DSC 832 behavior

I'm totally lost. I have an all-hard wired 832 system with one expansion board. I have 7 magnetic contact perimeter zones, one window bug (vibration) on my sliders, and 4 motions that are set as inide zones.

Last night, my alarm woke me up at 2am, siren blasting. I got up and looked at my bedroom keypad and it did not indicate any zones that were responsible for the alarm condition. I haven't tested the system in a while, but I recall that the keypad displays and cycles through each tripped zone both during the alarm, and after the swing.

I disarmed and it didn't show me any tripped zones in memory.

Any ideas what's going on? This is the second time this has happened, the first time was over a year ago.

I know the system monitors for dial-tone because i've heard the keypad complain "error" when I work on my phone line but this has always been in a non-armed state. Does the system alarm if it loses dial tone when armed?

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby_M
Loading thread data ...

Programming section 15, # 8 will determine if the TLM is audible or not when armed Also if you have an LCD keypad then you should look in the event buffer, this may show the event that caused the alarm

Doug L

Reply to
Doug L

Yes, if you have TLM enabled a problem with the phone line will cause an alarm. The panel cant tell the diffrence between someone cutting your line and a glitch at the telco switch. Its all the same to it.

If you want it off its section (015) turn off #7

Reply to
Devin

No, that will disable TLM entirely, which is not a good idea.

Just turn off bit 8 in section 015 to avoid the siren, as Doug already said. js

Reply to
alarman

Blame your telephone company. They're usually working (or upgrading) on the lines in the "wee hours" when people aren't supposed to be using their phones... I wouldn't disable the line monitoring feature though... It's often your "first line" of defence. The "perp" will probably cut your lines before he tries to gain entry into the house...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thanks for the replies. I suspected there was a programming option to disable TLM but it's been over a year since i've programmed the system. If i disable the siren for TLM, will I still get the beep out of the keypad at least to tell me the line is having problems? I agree that I want to know when the line has issues, but I don't need that heart attack everytime someone monkey's with the lines down the street. Interestingly enough, this explaination is supported by the fact that my neighbor does not have a working phone today.

Will the event log show that the TLM was the cause of the alarm? I do have the fixed LCD keypads.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby_M

Turning off bit 8 in section 015 will disable the siren on TLM. As long as bit 7 is on, you still get the trouble light and beeps. The event log will register the TLM fault. js

Reply to
alarman

Fabulous, thanks... Time to dig out the user manual.

Reply to
Bobby_M

It's not in the user manual. But why would you look it up now anyway? We've already answered your question. js

Reply to
alarman

Umm that won't be in the user manual

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Sorry i should have clairfied that a little better. I meant if TLM was enabled it will generate an alarm while armed if the phone line dropped. That was just a way to turn it off if its not monitored. I wouldnt ever tell someone to turn that off. Unless its a local system only.

Sorry my bad

Reply to
Devin

I didn't mean the user manual, I meant the installer's programming guide or whatever it's called. I don't remember the exact process of getting to the programming section by memory because I last messed with the programming over a year ago. I'm sure it will come back to me because I installed and programmed the system initially. Again, thanks for the help.

Bobby

Reply to
Bobby_M

lasting about 30 seconds will set the sirens off.It doesn't show up on the key pad, so a *2 on the keypad might help track down the problem.

Reply to
LJ

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.