Sprinkler Valve Hook-Up

Hey you's guys,

I am connecting a Fire Alarm system to a new sprinkler system. The valves installed are a bit different in that the connection where the wire leads exit the valve body has a unknown female thread.

formatting link

It is smaller than a 1/2" NPT so I can't use a Chase Nipple into a box for the wire splice. There was a rubber threaded hex nut already installed but I don't think it will hold up as a metal Chase Nipple.

This rubber plug appears to have a straight thread not a tapered which is also odd. The outside diameter of the threads is .790".

Does anyone know what kind of thread this might be and/or what can be used to adapt to it in order to make a secure connection of a junction box??

Sadly the instructions are skimpy on the details.

Thanks for any assist,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Sorry, can't help you. But you might be able to take an impression of the t hread with some clay or duct seal and bring it to a pluming shop. They may be able to come up with something for you. Also, die sets come with a threa d matching tool. If you don't have a die set try a machine shop. I'm guessi ng that it's metric.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim,

I am guessing you might be right. However, the Mfg. Sales Rep said it was a US Standard. I got more specific with him and he said he would have to check with the home office..... in Korea, and was to get back to me......... yesterday.......

Thinking he lost my number........ I am calling again today.

Boggles the mind!!! Oh, I am trying to type NICELY!! :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I know a guy who could match that thread right up. Just take it off and send it to him. Bob something I think.

I've run across a number of threads on Chinese parts that seem odd, but unless its an outdoor sprinkler riser usually you can find something good enough to jam on there so you can make your connections. Probably its something the guy on the shop floor just invented because nobody told him what it was supposed to be. 100-150 years ago or so that was a real problem. Every shop wanted to make their own thread.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Yeah, I guess that was back when you were a youngun just getting started HU H? :-))

Reply to
Jim Davis

he thread with some clay or duct seal and bring it to a pluming shop. They may be able to come up with something for you. Also, die sets come with a t hread matching tool. If you don't have a die set try a machine shop. I'm gu essing that it's metric.

Was he very specific about whether it wad NORTH or South Korea ?

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim, it is Seoul, Korea. I think that is south. :-)

Today I searched the misc. compression and flared fittings at Lowes but, found nothing that would work.

What I think happened during production is that a 1/2" NPT tap was used to thread the hole. Except the tap thread was NOT inserted deep enough. This caused the opening to be smaller than it should be.

So, I did get a bit creative. I first tried to heat up the 1/2" NPT adapter with my butane torch to see if I could get it to conform. That failed badly.

I tried another but with less flaming. That failed as well.

I then used my wire cutters to make a cut in the threads lengthwise with the intent to get the fitting smaller on the end to aid in the insertion. Plastic could not handle the stress and cracked off a chunk.

So that failed............ Twice!!

I then used a hacksaw and make a 1/8" slot across the fitting. Broke out the slug and then made a single cut at 90 degrees.

I then inserted the fitting into the threaded port and it turned in quite well and tightened up as it should.

Not perfect but I think a reasonable solution given the condition.

Now I have to make four(4) more. The last of which will be the best one. P-M-P "Practice Makes Perfect"

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

FABULOUS ! ! ! ! !

I'd bet that no one under the age of 40 could come up with that solution.

Congrats!

Reply to
Jim Davis

Well, it seems the Manufacture Sales Rep along with one of their engineers has found a fitting that will do the job. They are sending me 5 each of these units Next Day Air for me to use.

I will have them Monday to try them out.

It was confirmed that I was the first to bring this issue to their attention.

Some days it is worth speaking up and getting heard.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Things like this happen to me more often than I can believe is real.

It amazes me how often little small company---- a speck in the universe of the alarm trade ----- is the one who runs into a problem that the --- manufacturer ---- dealer ---- distributor ----- retailer ---- end user

NEVER FUCKIN HEARD OF BEFORE? !!!!!

Is it just "my luck" ? Am I that much more aware of how things are supposed to work? Am I that much smarter than all the f****ng engineers, marketing, and sales people who put these products on the market?

IP Cameras that can't be accessed if you do some obscure thing to them while trying to set them up. ( tried more than one)

Video door bells that won't create their local WiFi network (tried more than one)

alarm panels who's keypads won't allow you to program the panel (tried more than one)

etc. etc. etc.

I've lost track of how many times I've had manufacturers tech support on the line with problems that they never heard of before and cannot resolve.

How can just one little guy run into so many of never heard of problems?

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim,

WE must be twins walking in an alternate universe!!!

I could have written the same exact words. Boggles the brain.

The only thing I can think of is that "WE" care more than all the rest about what we do or work with.

I have been saying for years that if you don't tell someone there is a problem with "XYZ" then they think what they are doing is perfect.

It rarely happens but, I think "WE" need to be seriously compensated for out expertise in finding this shit!!

For me I was compensated a few of years ago and it just paid off. I received a SK-5820XL from SK as a thank you for finding and helping with a serious problem that they were not aware of on the production line. Just installed that free panel and presently getting ready for final inspection. $$$

Later,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I like the idea better, that I'm just that much smarter then they are. It keeps me cocky and gives me a sense of superiority ----- yet ---- humble unpretentious and unassuming.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Jim, I took some liberty and hope you don't mind. I thought that typing deserved a separate posting, with a little editing.

Well said!! And GOOD JOB!!! I'll bet you don't get that much!!

Reply to
ABLE1

It might be that you care more than all the rest, but I suspect the real reason they have never heard of anything before is they aren't really listening, I'd hazard a guess that they could have just got off the phone with someone with the exact same issue and they would still say "I never heard of that before".

Doug

Reply to
doug

Thanks Doug, you do have a brutal way of bursting a bubble!!!

LOL Funny guy!!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I've thought it over and I like the " I'm smarter than they are" story much better.

I think I've posted this before but the following is from a sign I used to have hanging over my desk

"Sex mons ago I coont evan spel injunear Now I are one. "

Reply to
Jim Davis

UPDATE

Ok, so yesterday I received these fittings from California. They are black rubberized double ended bushings with a hex portion between.

I installed them in the valve ports and started the thread compresses into the port. At first getting it started was a bit of a trick but once started the thread compresses into the port.

Then I mounted a 4x4 box with a lock nut and all looks good. The only thing would be is if the box is bumped hard enough the fitting could pop out of the valve. Most likely won't happen.

So all in all the problem is now solved. I suggest that they include these fitting with every valve sold in the US until the manufacturing process can meet US standards.

All is now good. The manufacturer actually did the right thing!!

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I can't really visualize what your working with but would a hose clamp and some sort of metal strap attached to the box make it more secure?

Reply to
Jim Davis

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.