source for 24AWG / 4 conductor white

Where is a good source for 500' of 24AWG / 4 conductor solid wire alarm cable in white?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser
Loading thread data ...

24 guage? Why?
Reply to
Jim

The only 24/4 solid I ever got was tan (station wire ?). I really only used it for line seizure, but I ended up getting a better deal on cat3. Price for 24/4 solid, white, is probably way out of whack, I don't think it's very common for alarm, I think Ademco and GE both spec 22gauge minimum ( but I have been wrong before)

I get my 22/4 through Edist , About $20 for 500' strd or sld. Kind of curious if I'm paying a decent price currently.

Reply to
Effenpig1

I had been using Cat 3 for PIR power and triggers (both power and triggers are very low current), so I was considering a 4 conductor equivalent. 22 AWG will work fine.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

ewwww

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Is this in response to using Cat 3 for PIRs? If so, please expand.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

IMHO, besides being smaller gauge than usually spec'd, cat3 is too fragile to consider using for burg devices.

Reply to
Effenpig1

Are security cameras considered burg devices? Not trying to push back on this, just trying to understand the rationale for selecting cable. If an installation has ten IP cameras using Cat5 and you are asked to add Crow Daredevils as PIR triggers, and you need to pull 8 conductors from each Crow back to a power and alarm panel, are you saying that you would not use Cat5 for the Crows because it is too fragile?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

I use 22 gauge minimum for burg because that is what is spec'd by the manufacturer of the panels I use. Even if 24 gauge was spec'd, I still wouldn't use cat3, I prefer stranded for the smaller gauge wires. I've never used these Crow Daredevil PIRs, why do they need 8 conductors?

Reply to
Effenpig1

2 for power, 2 for tamper, 3 for relay, 1 for memory.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

So, for PoE cameras and other PoE equipment, you build your own cables? And, if Cat3 is already run in the building, you pull new cables?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

cat 3

Reply to
Crash Gordon

What cable do you use for PoE equipment?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Build my own cables?

Would probably use 22/8.

I'm not so concerned with cat3 in a CCTV application, but if it was for burg and cat3 was already run I would probably use the cat3 to pull in a 22/4

Reply to
Effenpig1

Cat 5, why?

Reply to
Effenpig1

OK, assume a PoE camera and PIR are co-located with a 75' run to an equipment rack. The PIR has an 8-position mini terminal block and consumes

9 mA, a fraction of the power consumed by the PoE camera. Why is 24 AWG / 8 conductor UTP Cat 5 the cable of choice for the PoE camera but is considered unacceptable for the PIR?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Oh, OK, so security cameras are not considered burg devices. Burg is typically speced at 22 AWG, and PIR falls in the burg category. I think I got it. Thanks.

Is 22 / 8 available in white?

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

Yes.

Dude, just use a white CAT3. It will be fine.

formatting link

Reply to
G. Morgan

I'm sure you are right, but I wanted to understand why alarm installers would go to such lengths to avoid Cat3/5. And, I too, do have my limits. Many DIYs will combine multiple pairs of Cat 3 to power a multi-amp IR, and although I can't say it won't work, that's something I would never do in my house. That said, my 7mA PIRs are working fine on Cat5, and I don't anticipate any problems with the wiring.

Best, Christopher

Reply to
Christopher Glaeser

I originally thought you were using cat3 for PIR's that were part of an alarm system. For the application you mentioned I'm sure cat3 or cat5 will be fine and make the most sense. I would probably stick with high quality cat5 even for the PIR's as it tends to be better insulated and a little tougher than most cat3 I've seen.

Reply to
Effenpig1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.