Sound activated surveillance for home?

Hi group,

I've recently rescued an abused puppy from a shelter and suspect that she is barking/howling when we are out of the house. The neighbors haven't complained (yet) but I'd like to get a feel for how much noise she is making. I've seen plenty of motion activated webcam systems (Uviewit seems like a great product for the price) but I haven't seen anything that is sound activated.

Has anybody come across such a system? I've also thought of using a Uviewit type system and just having it record all the time, however the website doesn't mention if it records sound as well as video. Any comments?

Thanks,

Ash.

Reply to
anon6111
Loading thread data ...

and the jumping up on the couch when you're away problem...except that one sets off acoustic gbs.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yep I know there are a bunch of things we can do to help get with the problem but since she has been abused it's going to take a lot of time and patience. The surveillance equipment will give me a better idea of what is working and what is not.

Ash.

Reply to
anon6111

You can use a Glass Break Detector, and tie it into the DVRs Alarm Inputs, then depending on the DVR set it to do what you want.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Petsmart sells collars that will solve the barking problem........... :-))

Reply to
Russell Brill

Any sound sensor can be hooked up to our dvr then record video, sound, or take a snapshot.

Reply to
pcbutts1

yah one with sensitivity adjustment..a cheap non-descriminating one...mount it low or put it on a table...and put bells on the dogs collar ...that should work.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Some good ideas here. Thanks all for the advice.

Ash.

Reply to
anon6111

You can get inexpensive small casette tape recorders that are voice activated (check walmart, kmart, radio shack, etc). You could turn it on when away and it would capture the barking if there is any.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Guys I ended up buying a cheap MP3 player with a record function and using that to record what the dog was getting up to during the day. The MP3 player records to a .wav file which I transferred to my laptop. I then used a free audio editing suite (AVS Audio Tools) to get a visual representation of the waveform which enabled me to zoom in on those times that there were sounds of interest.

I'm happy to report the dog hardly barks at all.

Thanks again,

Ash.

Reply to
anon6111

hey that was a good idea! now give spot a doggie treat

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.