Smoke detector and rechargeable 9V battery?

formatting link
Lithium Batteries What is a Lithium Battery? It's a battery that uses lithium metal or a lithium aluminum alloy in its negative electrode (anode) and manganese dioxide in its positive electrode (cathode). SANYO's primary lithium battery (CR series) was first released in 1976 and its secondary (rechargeable) lithium battery (ML series) was released in 1989. These batteries meet market needs with their high technology and superior quality.

CR Series Features

High operating voltage of 3V and high energy density

Wide operating temperature range: -40=B0C to 85=B0C (depending on type)

Low self-discharge rate (0.5% per year at room temperature)

High capacity cylindrical type

UL approved

SO9002 certified ML Series Features

High operating voltage of 2.5V

Wide operating temperature range: -20=B0C to 60=B0C

Low self-discharge rate (2% per year at room temperature)

Superior charge and discharge cycle =20 Able to charge at 2.8V=20 =20 UL approved

Reply to
stu
Loading thread data ...

I was replying to FIRETEK's post. He mentioned lithium. I assumed he (firetek) was referring to lithium ion rechargeable batteries. What I said applies to rechargeable batteries in general though.

Regards, Robert L Bass

formatting link

941-866-1100
Reply to
Robert L Bass

You have been given answers to your question, and still want to argue your point.

Either use a battery that the manufacturer reccommends, be it alkaline or lithium or hamster in a wheel connected to a generator.

OR, do what you so desperately want to do and want us to approve of (which no one here most likely will) and accept the consequences. I know what i would do. RTFM and follow the instructions

snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

formatting link
Lithium Batteries What is a Lithium Battery? It's a battery that uses lithium metal or a lithium aluminum alloy in its negative electrode (anode) and manganese dioxide in its positive electrode (cathode). SANYO's primary lithium battery (CR series) was first released in 1976 and its secondary (rechargeable) lithium battery (ML series) was released in 1989. These batteries meet market needs with their high technology and superior quality.

CR Series Features

High operating voltage of 3V and high energy density

Wide operating temperature range: -40°C to 85°C (depending on type)

Low self-discharge rate (0.5% per year at room temperature)

High capacity cylindrical type

UL approved

SO9002 certified ML Series Features

High operating voltage of 2.5V

Wide operating temperature range: -20°C to 60°C

Low self-discharge rate (2% per year at room temperature)

Superior charge and discharge cycle

Able to charge at 2.8V

UL approved

Reply to
Tommy

It's still Lithium, next time try a legal disclaimer or something

Reply to
Mark Leuck

Rechargeable 9V Lithium battery does exist, but not commonly found in stores.

formatting link

Reply to
A.J.

Picking a battery for a smoke alarm must be predicated on four things:

1. It's gotta be "cheap"
  2. It's gotta be easy to replace (ie. easy to find)
  3. It's gotta meet the manufacturer's requirements
  4. Whether it's designed to last for one year (or five), the replacement interval must be fixed. We're all "creatures of habit". It's far easier for me to remember my wife's birthday and use a good quality alkaline. If you're bent on using lithiums and you figure you can get five years from the sucker then perhaps setting February 29th as the replacement date might work for you (that comes around every four years). If your smoke alarm consumes more power, you might wind up on the "short" side of the equation, and often with little (or no) warning.

"Broad statements" have gotten more guys into trouble in this Group than Bush at a WMD rally.

formatting link

Considering this would have "definitively answered" the OP's question, it would have been better to have posted this in the first place.

No actually, most AHJ's recommend that, and for good reason. I wouldn't rely on a "low battery warning" signal from a detector that I picked up at Walmart for $8.95, would you?

Reply to
FIRETEK

Lithium batts. can last 10 years in a smoke. Since smokes need to be replaced every ten years, you can just chunk the whole damn thing when it starts beeping.

This NG seems like its filled with lay-attorneys, (and ministers).

I picked this detector at random, the OP never specified which unit he has. I don't think he is even serious based on posts he's made in other groups.

Yes I would, and do. It also gets tested every other time I cook.

Reply to
G. Morgan

There aren't many home owners that follow that rule.

Yep. And lay-installers that'll teach you all the tricks in two hours on the phone. ;)

I think the term is "sock puppet" but I'm loath to use it as no one's provided definitive proof.

You're THAT bad, are you? I hope that you keep a better quality fire extinguisher handy (and that it get's checked regularly too). ;)

Reply to
FIRETEK

i think he was just pushing lithium technology as a CELL not a rechargable.

have seen adt remote sensors run for 2 yrs on a single N size lithium

they are specialized curcuits that draw microamps to ensure long performance from the battery.

so little amps, it is actually the battery that wears itself out!

but i think lithiums are actualy NOT rechargable anyway.

Reply to
<hapticz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.