Smoke detector and rechargeable 9V battery?

Is there any reason, legal or electrical why a rechargeable battery coud not be used in a smoke detector?

Reply to
stu
Loading thread data ...

because it s not recomended by the manufacturere?

Reply to
Don

Because they tend to lose their charge faster over time and that varies with the battery and how many times it's been charged. Nicad's also tend to develop a "memory" which reduces their actual usefulness even more. It's best to stick with a good quality alkaline battery and change the sucker every year. I change ours on my wife's birthday. That way I can take care of two whiners at once. :)

Reply to
FIRETEK

Isn't a Lithium cell more potent thanan alkaline?

Reply to
stu

Lithiums tend to have a longer useful life. I don't think they pack a more potent charge. Most of the manufacturers recommend using alkaline batteries and replacing them once a year.

Reply to
FIRETEK

Lithium cells have a different discharge gradient from alkaline cells. When a typical alkaline cell reaches the point where the detector starts to signal a low battery condition, there is a predictable remaining life in the cell. IOW, it will continue to function for a sufficient period. IIRC, lithium cells degrade at a fairly steady rate and then drop off sharply. Assuming it's lithium cells and not some other type of rechargeable cell that this applies to, that would make them unacceptable for use in many smokes.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

typical alkaline cell reaches the point where the

remaining life in the cell. IOW, it will continue to

steady rate and then drop off sharply. Assuming it's

to, that would make them unacceptable for use in many

Lithium batteries are NOT rechargeable. So the OP is talking about NiMH or NiCad. What you say is true, if you're talking about NiMH or NiCad cells.

9V Lithium batteries are the best choice for smoke detectors because they last so long, as much as 10 years. You just can't recharge them.
Reply to
G. Morgan

Robert,

Thanks, finally a substantive answer.

The question still remains open however..

What is the time period that is required/needed to give ample beep warnings to replace or recharge?

"Some detectors are also being sold with a lithium battery that can run for about 7 to 10 years, though this might actually make it less likely for people to change batteries since their replacement is needed so infrequently. By that time, the whole detector should be replaced. Though relatively expensive, user-replaceable 9 volt lithium batteries (in the same configuration as the common alkaline ones) are also available. They should only be used in a fairly new detector."

I wonder if the lithium detectors have a different warning voltage?

Reply to
stu

How can this be a substantive answer? YOU are talking about rechargable and he is not. I gave you the right answer n*****ts. if youre too dumb to understand then so be it but don't insult those that have answered just because your too dumb to understand the answer. Let me rephrase it for you: You use the fragging batteries the fragging manufacturer fragging recommends.

Reply to
Don

You already got the correct answer before RLB posted.

That's NOT what you asked; you asked: "Is there any reason, legal or electrical why a rechargeable battery could not be used in a smoke detector?"

Now, read the manual that came with the detector and follow instructions. It will probably indicate an alkaline or lithium battery IS acceptable. If you replace "lithium" with "rechargeable batteries" in RLB's post you can extrapolate an answer to your second question.

Reply to
G. Morgan

I did not know that there are any lithium batteries that may not be charged.

Reply to
stu

I bet you didn't know they can be used to make crystal meth either.

formatting link

Any relationship to Joe the senator?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Don't confuse a Lithium cell with a Lithium ion cell, two different animals.

Reply to
G. Morgan

formatting link

Besides the instructions, is there any techinical/logical reason why a rechargeable Lithium battery ( the same discharge curve AFAIK) could not be used in place of the non-rechargeable (acceptable) one?

Reply to
stu

Sure, you're putting your family's life in jeopardy by trying to gerry-rig something like that up.

What part of "lithium batteries are NOT rechargeable" did you not understand?

So nice to see a troll in here, we don't get many.

Reply to
G. Morgan

Lithium batteries are NOT the "best choice" for smoke alarms. Making such a generalized statement is both unprofessional and unsafe. Smoke alarms are "life safety". The batteries should be replaced with new ones once a year. Use a good quality NEW alkaline battery and *always* follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Sure they are, they last longer.

It was a broad statement, I should have wrote "if the manufacturer permits Lithium batts then they are the best choice".

No shit?

Making such a generalized statement is both unprofessional and unsafe.

Yeah, that's what I (and everyone else) said.

Just for giggles I went to the first manufacturer that google came up with and picked a detector at random-- check it out

"Choosing a replacement battery: Your Smoke Alarm requires one standard 9V battery. The following batteries are acceptable as replacements: Duracell #MN1604, (Ultra) #MX1604; Eveready (Energizer) #522. You may also use a Lithium battery like the Ultralife U9VL-J for longer service life between battery changes. These batteries are available at many local retail stores."

formatting link
No where do they recommend replacing batts. yearly. I think the battery marketing department came up with that baloney.

Reply to
G. Morgan

When a typical alkaline cell reaches the point where the

fairly steady rate and then drop off sharply. Assuming it's

applies to, that would make them unacceptable for use in many

Lithium batteries are rechargable

Reply to
Mark Leuck

No, lithium batteries are the ones used in motherboards and the ones that come with 5800 series wireless for example. *Lithium-ion* batteries ARE rechargeable, they are used in cell phones, laptops, etc..

Two different batts.

Reply to
G. Morgan

they dont hold charge long enough.

most alkaline will disharge slow enough to supply for a year.

most ni-cad ni-mh and other will retain adequate charge only for abt a month, then need refresh

standard alkaline and zinc/acid batts actually create power from a chemical reaction,

recharge types ones are only poor storage devices.

Reply to
<hapticz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.