Smoke Detection in a large enclosed venue

Hey guys,

This is a I don't know question and looking for a answer thingie. This is not for a project or job just curious.

My brother, (who only guesses an answer since he doesn't really know one way or the other). Mentioned to me the other day that he heard that some large group was playing at a venue and because of there FOG MACHINE it tripped off the FIRE ALARM. He then said that they must have replaced the smoke detectors to units that can only see smoke and not FOG. Well I said to him that they more than likely turned off the smokes while the FOG was there and then turned them back on later because the smoke detectors can't tell the difference between smoke, dust, spiders and FOG.

What this did was made me think what a Alarm Company would do in the case to actually meet code compliance??

Beam Detectors can maybe be adjusted somehow or to maybe off.

Heat Detectors can surely work and not be effected but for heat only. Not a good thing and really not code.

Ionization Smokes maybe not sure............ doubt it.

Turn off, and station multiple human bodies for a fire watch during the event to yank on a Pull Station if there is a real fire event observed.

Get a variance with the jurisdiction to allow something other than smoke detectors during an event that uses FOG Machines.

Anybody know or been involved is something like this??

Again just curious.

Thanks,

Les

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

some AHJ's will go with the "Human fire watch" during the event.. ((smoke zone in that area disabled)) with some local FD personnel on hand, (at event's expenses) ... Usually require an official inspection after the event to re-affirm system fully operational...

"Politics", as usual is the call on this.....

Reply to
RTS

Thanks Rocky,

And also common sense applies. However that seems to be in short supply lately.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

I"ve never used them but beyond photoelectric and Ionization there are also flame detectors. Usually used in large areas.

Reply to
Jim Davis

Hi Jim,

Now that is interesting.............. So would that be more of some kind of a video temperature sensing device of sorts??

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Just did a quick search and found that Honeywell makes them. They seem to have UV ratings that can see the flames themselves. Also it appears that they are geared more for a industrial type environments.

It would be a twist to place in a large venue since they appear to have a range of 100 to 200 feet at a 90 to 110 degree spread.

No question it would have to be accepted by the AHJ. Not cheap per device at about $2000+- each.

The above assessment is after looking for about 10 minutes.

I am now done looking due to brain overload. :-)

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

When I was a tech for another company a long me ago we had a "semi" assisted living fire system in an apartment building. Every year when we did out complete test and clean we had to posted a fire watch at the end of every hallway for the duration. The building was obviously occupied as it was impossible to get everybady to go shopping so we could work unencumbered.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

That must have been a costly inspection??

Reply to
ABLE1

Take a look at these: I think they come in various flavors. Infra red or Ultra violet or the two combined. I've only read about them in sales adds, so I'm not familiar with the science behind it.

formatting link

formatting link

Reply to
Jim Davis

Opps, I didn't read all of your post before I sent this.

Reply to
Jim Davis

LOL Aha!! Trying to get the last word are you?? :-)

Reply to
ABLE1

On 11/9/2020 5:59 PM, ABLE1 wrote: > On 11/9/2020 4:56 PM, Bob La Londe wrote: >> When I was a tech for another company a long me ago we had a "semi" assisted living fire system in an apartment building. Every year when we did out complete test and clean we had to posted a fire watch at the end of every hallway for the duration. The building was obviously occupied as it was impossible to get everybody to go shopping so we could work unencumbered. > > > That must have been a costly inspection??

Yup. A few years after I had my own business they asked me about doing their inspection and service, but I didn't want that headache. I could have taken a lot of jobs from Kurt if I was that kind of person. I picked up a few, but they came to me because... well you can't get along with everybody.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.