Small system for community docks

Any opinions on the Lorex system from Costco?

formatting link
I need to put up a few cameras to watch the piers and boat racks in my community. We don't have internet yet, but we want to store a few days so it can be given to the police if there is an issue. We have a couple incidents a year, such as kayak thefts or vandalism. The cameras will be outdoors, but can be mounted under a pavilion roof overhang to protect them.

I should be able to get a some additional budget next year for some remote locations. One is about 100 yards and the other 200 yards from the DVR. Should I be looking for a CAT5 / MPEG system instead of these BNC coax cameras?

Thanks for any help.

Reply to
paulaner
Loading thread data ...

Junk

Reply to
G. Morgan

Hmm.. Is there any way to buy a good DVR and 3-4 cameras for around $1000?

Reply to
paulaner

Yeah, kinda. I like at least 500 TV lines minimum in a camera. If you can get a WDR (Wide Dynamic Range) model with 550 TVL for $200 and lux rating of .01 or less you're going to get a nice picture. The DVR should be able to at least record 30 frames/second or better for each channel.

There are a slew of things to consider. Lighting (at all hours), and if you need a weatherproof housing. It sounds like you need outdoor rated ones, even if it is covered under a patio. Also, unless you feel like doing calculations to get the exact lens ahead of time, I would just get a varifocal lens so you can adjust the zoom. Here is one that adjusts from 5mm all the way to 50mm, that is a huge range to play with.

formatting link
is a lot that goes into planning the system before you even consider placing an order. The site above has plenty of FAQ's to help you ask the right questions. Planning is everything - you don't want to be stuck with poor equipment choices because it comes bundled.

Personally, I use Cat5 for cameras now. You will need a video balun on each side of the cable to convert to BNC for termination. It's so much easier running one Cat5 than a Coax and power cables. The video uses one pair, the power is on another, and you still have 2 pair left in the cable (you could run 2 cams on one cable in a jam, but do run a separate cable for each). This also 'future proofs' the design should you come back in a year or two and want to replace them with IP cams.

There are lots of stuff to learn before you buy equipment, luckily you asked first. I can't remember how many times I've replaced a DIY job with those cheap bundles into a professional grade system. It does not have to cost that much more if you know what you need.

Is this something you can give a Google Map view to and show me the area you are protecting?

Reply to
G. Morgan

e piers and boat racks in my community. We don't have internet yet, but we = want to store a few days so it can be given to the police if there is an is= sue. We have a couple incidents a year, such as kayak thefts or vandalism. = The cameras will be outdoors, but can be mounted under a pavilion roof over= hang to protect them. I should be able to get a some additional budget next= year for some remote locations. One is about 100 yards and the other 200 y= ards from the DVR. Should I be looking for a CAT5 / MPEG system instead of = these BNC coax cameras? Thanks for any help.

Other than what's already been suggested, be wary of what any camera mfg sa= ys about it's range of infra red at night. If they say 100 feet, assume 50 = feet. Also, keep in mind that cameras can't do what the human eye and brain= can do. This is a common error that newbies make. If you stand at a spot a= nd look at the area that you want to view with a camera, do what you see th= e Hollywood film directors do. Make a square out of your two thumbs and ind= ex fingers and move it closer or further away from your eye's. If you don't= do this you'll get the notion that the camera can see everything that you = can see and you'll be sorely disappointed when you see the actual picture. = Get a camera with back light control and a day / night camera for better vi= sion at night. Another thing. If you're going to get a 600 lines of resolu= tion camera, don't skimp on the monitor. Everyone wants to use a $120.00 co= mputer monitor or TV set as a CCTV monitor. If doesn't make sense to have a= 600 line camera and a 400 line monitor.=20

By the way, that's just the basics. There's lots and lots more to be consid= ered before you install a camera system. Lighting, direction of the sunrise= /set. Will any night lighting shine into the camera ... causing it to reduc= e it's night vision capabiity. How about head lights? How much current does= each camera draw and what size wire do you need to avoid too much voltage = drop? Is a 12 voltDC or 24Volt AC camera better? Bullet camera or dome? Wha= t's the temperature range? ...... If it's a dock by salt water, you can red= uce the life expectancy cosiderably ..... and you will have to clean the sa= lt deposts off the lens quite often...... and so on and on..... and on....

Lorex is a tinker toy but it would/could... probably/might last a year or t= wo. These systems are usually package priced low and when you need accessor= ies or replacements, a single camera will cost you almost as much as the wh= ole package did. That's how they GETCHA!=20

There are reasons that CCTV installation companys are in business. The lear= ning curve for a novice is quite steep and mistakes are expensive and/or ca= use the system to not be used because of inadequacies that are too expensiv= e to correct. Companys like Lorex (in my opinion ) prey upon the public, ma= king them assume that you can just put any camera up anywhere and it's goin= g to work. And when it doesn't, it's too late and then you just accept what= you get. Of course, novices don't know what's good or not to begin with, s= o anything that has any semblance of a picture ......it's .... " GOOOOOD " = Anything that it doesn't do .... they wouldn't know about to begin with.=20

Here's another thought. I don't know if this is a private or public docking= facility..... but...when you put these cameras up, do you think that the b= oaters or any visitors to the boat yard will now expect some level of "secu= rity"? If something illegal (assault or a person falling) happens and the = cameras don't record it, because they weren't aimed properly or weren't mai= ntained, does this leave room for a law suit to you (the installer)or the = boat yard owners ... because of the cameras presence and their implied secu= rity?=20

Don't kid yourself ..... it's happened.

Reply to
Jim

formatting link
I need to put up a few cameras to watch the piers and boat racks in my community. We don't have internet yet, but we want to store a few days so it can be given to the police if there is an issue. We have a couple incidents a year, such as kayak thefts or vandalism. The cameras will be outdoors, but can be mounted under a pavilion roof overhang to protect them. I should be able to get a some additional budget next year for some remote locations. One is about 100 yards and the other 200 yards from the DVR. Should I be looking for a CAT5 / MPEG system instead of these BNC coax cameras? Thanks for any help.

about it's range of infra red at night. If they say 100 feet, assume 50 feet. Also, keep in mind that cameras can't do what the human eye and brain can do. This is a common error that newbies make. If you stand at a spot and look at the area that you want to view with a camera, do what you see the Hollywood film directors do. Make a square out of your two thumbs and index fingers and move it closer or further away from your eye's. If you don't do this you'll get the notion that the camera can see everything that you can see and you'll be sorely disappointed when you see the actual picture. Get a camera with back light control and a day / night camera for better vision at night. Another thing. If you're going to get a 600 lines of resolution camera, don't skimp on the monitor. Everyone wants to use a $120.00 computer monitor or TV set as a CCTV monitor. If doesn't make sense to have a 600 line camera and a

before you install a camera system. Lighting, direction of the sunrise/set. Will any night lighting shine into the camera ... causing it to reduce it's night vision capabiity. How about head lights? How much current does each camera draw and what size wire do you need to avoid too much voltage drop? Is a 12 voltDC or

24Volt AC camera better? Bullet camera or dome? What's the temperature range? ...... If it's a dock by salt water, you can reduce the life expectancy cosiderably ..... and you will have to clean the salt deposts off the lens quite often...... and so on and on..... and on....

These systems are usually package priced low and when you need accessories or replacements, a single camera will cost you almost as much as the whole package did. That's how they GETCHA!

curve for a novice is quite steep and mistakes are expensive and/or cause the system to not be used because of inadequacies that are too expensive to correct. Companys like Lorex (in my opinion ) prey upon the public, making them assume that you can just put any camera up anywhere and it's going to work. And when it doesn't, it's too late and then you just accept what you get. Of course, novices don't know what's good or not to begin with, so anything that has any semblance of a picture ......it's .... " GOOOOOD " Anything that it doesn't do .... they wouldn't know about to begin with.

facility..... but...when you put these cameras up, do you think that the boaters or any visitors to the boat yard will now expect some level of "security"? If something illegal (assault or a person falling) happens and the cameras don't record it, because they weren't aimed properly or weren't maintained, does this leave room for a law suit to you (the installer)or the boat yard owners ... because of the cameras presence and their implied security?

Some great advice in there - thanks. Lots to think about.

Reply to
paulaner

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.