Silent Knight Troubles

This post it to all that use or may use the Silent Knight 5820XL panel. The following is just a small input as to the troubles I have seen.

1 year ago I installed a SK 5820XL panel. If you are not familiar with the 5820XL there is a power supply board that is mounted behind an aluminum chassis and there a 8 inline pins that extend thru the chassis and connect to the a white nylon connector on the mother board. This is in the upper right hand corner.

During assembly there are screws that holds the power supply board to the chassis. The board in this corner has a heavy transformer. When or IF the shipping box is dropped flat and the one screw in this part of the board is NOT installed the weight of the transformer causes the board to flex enough that the pins pull out of the white connector. When the board tries to return to the normal position the pins miss the connector alignment and bend in a multitude of directions rendering the panel useless.

So how do I know this you might ask.

Well it happened on my first 5820XL last year, Feb 2011. At the time I called Tech Support, explained the issue and was told to return the panel. I said that I needed to get this up and running and could disassemble and straighten the pins and reassemble with their permission. I assumed that it was a once and done problem and it would be passed on to the assembly dept. All went well and the panel was good.

This year, last month I am installing my second 5820XL and when I unpacked the panel, once again the exact same problem. I barked at Customer Service and explained that for one dealer to received two panels one year apart with the exact same problem tells me that they have much bigger problems that need corrected. Another panel was first checked by the distributor before shipment and was OK.

Today, I received my third 5820XL and the first thing I look at is the connectors on the board..................... and YES it has the exact same issue. Today, I spoke the sales rep. I can safely say that he now has 3rd degree burns on his ear.

This post is but a first to get the word out to the masses. I always liked the Silent Knight panels and still do. However there are some serious problems and I feel that others need to know beyond just me. I could go on and on but I am trying to remain as calm as possible. If I don't, I will not be able to type through my tears. Another new panel will be delivered on Monday that was opened and checked by the distributor prior to shipment.

Hope all have a good weekend.

Thanks for reading.

Les.

Reply to
ABLE1
Loading thread data ...

Les, I'd ask your Dist. just how many SK 5820's they sell a year.. Could be your buying the only one's they've sold.. and the shipment they received had the pallet dropped and your getting all the damaged one's they have..

I had that happen to me 10 or so years ago from a Dist. in Denver...

RTS

This post it to all that use or may use the Silent Knight 5820XL panel. The following is just a small input as to the troubles I have seen.

1 year ago I installed a SK 5820XL panel. If you are not familiar with the 5820XL there is a power supply board that is mounted behind an aluminum chassis and there a 8 inline pins that extend thru the chassis and connect to the a white nylon connector on the mother board. This is in the upper right hand corner.

During assembly there are screws that holds the power supply board to the chassis. The board in this corner has a heavy transformer. When or IF the shipping box is dropped flat and the one screw in this part of the board is NOT installed the weight of the transformer causes the board to flex enough that the pins pull out of the white connector. When the board tries to return to the normal position the pins miss the connector alignment and bend in a multitude of directions rendering the panel useless.

So how do I know this you might ask.

Well it happened on my first 5820XL last year, Feb 2011. At the time I called Tech Support, explained the issue and was told to return the panel. I said that I needed to get this up and running and could disassemble and straighten the pins and reassemble with their permission. I assumed that it was a once and done problem and it would be passed on to the assembly dept. All went well and the panel was good.

This year, last month I am installing my second 5820XL and when I unpacked the panel, once again the exact same problem. I barked at Customer Service and explained that for one dealer to received two panels one year apart with the exact same problem tells me that they have much bigger problems that need corrected. Another panel was first checked by the distributor before shipment and was OK.

Today, I received my third 5820XL and the first thing I look at is the connectors on the board..................... and YES it has the exact same issue. Today, I spoke the sales rep. I can safely say that he now has 3rd degree burns on his ear.

This post is but a first to get the word out to the masses. I always liked the Silent Knight panels and still do. However there are some serious problems and I feel that others need to know beyond just me. I could go on and on but I am trying to remain as calm as possible. If I don't, I will not be able to type through my tears. Another new panel will be delivered on Monday that was opened and checked by the distributor prior to shipment.

Hope all have a good weekend.

Thanks for reading.

Les.

Reply to
RockyTSquirrel

I have never experienced this problem would suspect how distributor is handling them.

Reply to
NickMark

Hi Les:

Next time you come across this issue, please send me some pictures. I'll include this as a Silent Knight Technical Note on the website.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kurz

RTS, The Distributor sells many of them that is not the issue. The issue is that the mounting screw was NEVER installed. Had it been installed there would not be an issue.

Nick, The Distributor is not the issue. See above.

Frank, Pictures enroute.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Thats a bad problem but what do you expect when you you do not have a quality control dept.

Reply to
NickMark

You are right if there is no QC Dept. Or if there is a QC Dept. they are not doing their job. But I think it goes deeper than that. I would think that there is 4 or 5 individuals in the assembly dept. Should be easy to figure out who is not doing there job. What concerns me the most is that if one screw is not being installed, what else is this individual doing that is not know at this point.

Les

Reply to
ABLE1

Could be it's not that isolated a problem.

I'm seeing what I believe to be an increase in parts "bad off shelf."

Did one install recently where I had not only a bad Vista 128 panel (powered up with zone 1 in alarm and would not reset no matter what) but two of six motion detectors had relays that weren't changing state when the detector tripped.

I considered that if I were hitting odds like that I should have played the mega-millions - now I guess I'm glad I didn't waste the buck.

Reply to
JoeRaisin

If it is an identifiable problem it needs documented and UL notified to conduct an investigation. I do this regularly with electrical items that qualify under CPSC or notify UL if it does not fall under CPSC. Bad production needs to be stopped before a life is put on the line.

Reply to
NickMark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.