self programming

Hi there. I recently bought a house that has a system that was working with ADT, but had been unused for a while. It's a Ademco Lynx. (wireless) I don't plan to use it through any central service, and frankly, the installation is quite poor... The control pannel is right by the door, with the power supply and the phone line clearly visible 3 feet away, so I don't think it is very safe by itself... (honestly, If I were a burglar, it would take me 15 seconds to completely destroy the pannel and cut the phone line) Not counting that the previous owners had painted over the motion detector (while the system was still used) because it "looked nicer that way"... (I was able to remove the paint over the window and it seems to be working fine) But I've read in the manual that the control pannel can be setup to send a message to a pager, instead of calling some central office. That would suit me since I have to carry a pager 24/7 for my work, and I thought it could be "fun" to watch the house that way. But apparently that option needs to be setup by the "technical representative". I believe it has to use a software called "Compass", but apparently it's reserved for professionnal. Is there a way to program that function through the console?

I don't know how that "lynx" system is rated amongst the security sytems but I find it quite unsafe by design, since the "brain" is "under" the keyboard entry pannel, and it has to be placed with relative easy access. I mean, anyone entering the house could totally disable it with a good slam of a hammer or a crobar in less than 15 seconds, if not simply ripping it off the wall.

Regards,

Pierre.

Reply to
Pete
Loading thread data ...

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.