Self Locking File Cabinets?

I'm looking for a five drawer file cabinet that will automatically lock every drawer automatically whenever the cabinet is closed. Does anyone know of such a product?

Reply to
W
Loading thread data ...

I don't know if these are self-locking but they're some of the toughest file cabinet / safes around. They use the same kind of DoD locks we the US Coast Guard and several National Guard divisions buy for ammunition lockers. They can be ordered with a separate lock for each drawer and, *presumably*, set up to lock on closing. The ammunition locker units are configured that way so I

*think* these can also be.

I don't know this supplier well enough to vouch for them so due diligence but I know some of their the products are excellent.

formatting link
BTW, these are *not* economy models. They cost a heck of a lot more than any of the cheap-o office furniture makes. They're heavy, too.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Everywhere I have ever seen, the file cabinets are unlocked at the start of business, then locked when the business day is over. Or if sensitive material, when the person leaves the room.

In high security areas, they have signs on the file cabinets which slip into a handle (or are magnetic signs) which say "OPEN" or "SECURED". When you lock the cabinet, you switch the sign to "SECURED". Then when leaving a room, you can easily see that all the cabinets are secured.

I suppose you could have a locksmith install a latch on each file cabinet drawer that when the drawer is closed, it latches and a key is needed to open the drawer again. It could never be left unlocked unless the drawer was left open.

Reply to
Bill

That would work. There are also file cabonets that are designed so the drawers will gently slide closed by themselves. I think the rails are set on a slight slope.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.