Seeking m/m adapter for a cam power cord

Hi I just ran a wire (video and power combined) from the DVR through the crawlspace and out into the yard for a cam that will be up in a tree. Only to find that the wire and the cam both have female connectors. The video connector is fine, I found an adapter, but the 12 volt power is not. I really don't want to do any wires splicing.

Can anyone point me to a site that sells with a Male/Male 12 volt adapter or a male/male patch cord?

Thanks

Reply to
Unused Classified
Loading thread data ...

Try goggling Jameco Electronics

Reply to
nick markowitz

Rat Shack is usually good for that kind of stuff.

That's about all I use them for is fuses, fuse holders and connector adaptors.

Reply to
Jim

By the way, you're gonna have to seal those connectors pretty good or keep them inside a weatherproof box. I don't know what part of the country you're in but any kind of dampness or humidity eventually does a job on open connectors. It's usually electrolysis and corrosion that takes it's toll. Especially on the power connector.

Reply to
Jim

Seems like no matter what you do around here with in 2-5 years your back cleaning or replacing connectors. They blame it on Acid rain but who knows.

Reply to
nick markowitz

Agree 100% about the weatherproof box, I already put it already in the tree. The reason I'm doing this rewiring is because the installer never put the connection in a box.

I gave radio shack a try this morning, they never fail to disappoint. I'll try Jameco Electronics. Thanks

Reply to
Unused Classified

I live near the sea shore and I'm a boat owner and I install alarms in boats. The main difference between me and the (so called) boat electronic companys that also, by the way, incidentenly install alarm systems along with radar, VHF radios, and other boat electronics ..... is that they don't have a clue about alarm systems. For some reason they just don't give their alarm installations the same "marine protocol" that they give their other electronic installs. I've never seen an alarm job that they've done, that lasts more than a couple of seasons or three. It may be due to the fact that most of the marine equipment that they buy is set up and supplied with all the weather/water seals and marine approved connections and with alarm systems, it's got to be done by the installers. They're too lazy to take the precautions. I've even seen them install a car alarm in a boat. If they make it through one season that'd be a record. Any alarm that is made specifically for marine installation, usually falls in the category of Tinker Toy or Mattel. There's only one that's made by a ligitimate alarm mfg but it's priced for a large boat.

Corrosion/Electrolysis is the main culprit. I pull all the equipment apart, panels, kepads, sensors ..... make the wire connections with marine grade wire, spray the boards/electroics with waterproofing spray and make all connections with gel connectors. Then I seal the boxes/casings with silicone. There's one boat that I did about 20 years ago that's now with it's 3rd owner and the only thing I've had to do in all that time is change the keypad once. My boat has been done longer that that without changing out anything.

Anything that's going to be used out doors has got to be sealed, sprayed, taped, whatever. Dampness/water/humidity will do it's worst on anything electronic that hasn't been designed to be used out doors.

I get a kick out of some of these CCTV cameras that claim that they're indoor/outdoor cameras. Yet, if you look at where the wire comes out of the camera they just have a standard grommet and not a compression fitting or sealant. Or, the wire comes out through the mounting bracket ...supposedly to avoid water infusion. Yet the mounting brackets have weep holes in them so any water that gets behind the bracket can come out. I guess the dampness/humidity/water is supposed to know that it's not supposed to go IN those holes.

Reply to
Jim

Re: Seeking m/m adapter for a cam power cord

Is this one of those adult classifieds codes?

Reply to
Bob La Londe

No kidding. They have less and less of much use. Just a meager stock of consumer electronics and three sales people who treat you like shit unless you want a new cell phone. I finally cut up my Radio Shack card and threw it away last year.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

A RADIO SHACK CARD????

What the hell is a Radio Shack card?

Oh I know. I'll bet it's a secret pass to get GOOD service ...... Right? Then they allow you into the back room to see the GOOD and quality producst, instead of the cheap junk on the displays on the wall, out front. And the guy you talk to back there doesn't have one sign of a pimple on his face.

And now you're telling us that even THAT doesn't work anymore? OHHHHH NOOOOOoooooooo!

Well in that case I'm going to apply for a card and tear it up too.

( jus kidden ;-)

Reply to
Jim

:

Believe it or not there are people who actually collect that old Realistic and Micronta stuff from 50'-70' radio shack sold. I have seen whole collections of it at peoples homes and offices. the old Heath Kit and hallicrafters and Elco stuff to is also now very collectible.

Reply to
nick markowitz

te:

Jeeez, I had a whole room full of Heathkit and Elco stuff. Another popular one ( around here anyway) was Lafayette Radio. There was SAM's also. They had schematics for everything. I didn't save any of it though. What I did save is all my echo chamber inventions. At about 13 years old, I started playing the guitar and echo chamber sound was being used in studio recordings and I wanted to make my guitar sound "cool". So I came up with a few ideas that worked pretty good. Nowdays, everything is digital, so it's pretty easy, but back in the vacuum tube era, it wasn't.

Anyone here ever make a crystal radio? Uhhh ..... you remember radio ..... don'tcha? It's like TV but without a picture.

And .... Oh yeah ...... Prior to vacuum tubes and radios, we just used to yell from one mountain to the other from our caves. If you just cup your hands around your mouth and move them around while your yelling, using a high pitch ....... Oh...... ummmm ..... never mind.

Reply to
Jim

got one older than that Jim, had a 60 foot string between houses with the button and can (telephone) way back in the day. LOL ;-)

RTS

Reply to
Rockytsquirrel

Oh Yeah ..... well we used to do the same thing only with sticks and banging on a hollow log. I probably still have them down in my basment .... somewhere.

Say .... if the Heathkit stuff is selling now, I wonder how much a stick and a hollow log would go for?

Reply to
Jim

I don't know about collectible, but that old Heath kit stuff was awesome. My dad built a bunch of the kits (TVs, amplifiers, etc) before they were eaten by Zenith. Our second personal computer was a Heathkit H89A with a (after the Zenith acquisition) Z80 microprocessor. It was amazing for its day. I wrote a lot of game code back then on it. I think my dad still has it. Sitting right next to our first computer. A Commodore Pet 2001.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

m...

I was building kits before there were computers ( unfortunately ;-) I built tone generators, amplifiers, intercoms, sequential flashing lights etc, that's about all I can remember. The only solid state component there was at that time was a germainum crystal and that was just considered a querky natural element like mica and quartz.

Come to think of it, I've see quite an evolution of technology in my lifetime.

Hell, if I stick around a little longer I might even get to see mankind evolve into an intelligent being.

Reply to
Jim

com...

Unfortunately I think we are at a time when technology is at one of its most awesome and dangerous time all at the same time.

Reply to
nick markowitz

s.com...

:

Between that and the biological advances being made, could be that the TERMINATOR movies are not as much fiction as we thought.

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.