Security DVR Advice Needed

think about it though for a second. Now i sell PC based myself, as well as stand alone embedded DVRs, mostly the GE DVRs though.

Any PC DVR, even the $99 card needs a decent PC if you are selling it to a client and giving a warranty on it, other wise welcome to the world of PC service, and alot of it.

Therefore even if you pick out the parts, and build it yourself you are looking in the range of around $600-700 for a decent starter PC for a dedicated DVR system.

Add time to phyically build it, load windows, the other software, clean it up and tweak it, then at least 24 hours burn in time. You are then well over $1000 for the PC alone.

Next add a decent PC DVR Card, say a 16 channel 120fps at $400 for example.

Then, add time to show the client how to use it, as most PC DVRs, from lowest end to highest end, can take some time to learn. I can install a stand alone in 5-10 minutes and client knows how to use it. A PC based DVR, forget it, and if they arent PC literate, good luck.

PC DVRs are good for high speed recording and easy upgrades of Hard Drives. Stand alone embedded DVRs are good for plug, play, and forget, easy install and simple to use, DVRs.

Personally I dont sell them only because I sell high end. Otherwise they are very decent decent DVRs with as much features as most people ever need.

AND, if you want a stand alone embedded plug and play DVR that doesnt crash and is the ultimate cheap one on the market, try the AvTech units, they have been around for a long time, and trust me, i have 1 here right now AvTech sent me to test (that means test only and review it), and several 16 channels that we have tested to the max, and even installed, and nothing I can do will crash them. They are budget, and very little features, but, they are cheap, the ultimate budget DVR that actually works. These are the ones with LAN for remote video by the way.

Ones that have crashed after only minutes of testing - Neverfocus, HiSharp, and Provideo.

Reply to
cctvbahamas
Loading thread data ...

I agree with you there. Any prices on your site?

You need Internet Explorer

OK. will try itout.

Reply to
joe

Because they are expensive.

Reply to
pcbutts1

They are less expensive but still too expensive. You need Internet Explorer to view the demos on my site. It also requires you to accept the Active X install.

Reply to
pcbutts1

what do you do to make them crash?

Reply to
joe

Connect to them via the network and then .... Playback ... crash most of the time. When I say crash, means Locks up, have to manually reboot the DVR.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

I agree with everything you say but just add a few things about PC based dvr's. We started out selling only PC based dvr's. We went thru a lot of them. A lot of crashes, we had one catch fire at the customers site. We have tested so many for so many years I can tell a good one by just looking at the picture quality. Stay away from Maxtor HD's AMD cpu's cheap motherboards, and cheap video cards. In my opinion P4's are the best along with western digital HD's. We used AMD's for a while but no matter how many software changes and upgrades we could not get past that persistent picture flickering that was caused by the AMD cpu. Maxtor HD's lasted about a year before they went bad. This costs us money to replace because of labor. Since we have been using Western Digital's not one has been returned. The good thing about PC based I that you can upgrade them and at the rate things are changing the way to go is PC based. We just started selling Embedded a few months ago and it's going pretty good, it's Linux based. And the one who are buying them is like you said, people who are not pc literate. We don't use Geovision but in all my years of doing this I have to say that I have nothing bad to say about Geovision systems. We use our own system Korean based hardware. I get about 5 emails a day from upstart companies wanting me to sell there product, most are crap.

Reply to
pcbutts1

Western Digital HD's, Intel "Seattle" MB's, Dual Xeon Chipset, Linux OS, ATI Video Cards... Rock solid systems.

As for "Maxtor". I've noticed their quality has actually improved since they acquired Quantum but I still lean towards WD...

Reply to
Frank Olson

That's bad or incompatible software.

Reply to
pcbutts1

yeap sorry was replying on how to make them crash .. your right, it is software related.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Try this out

formatting link

Reply to
juzer.yamani

formatting link

checked out he nubix, looks good. what about the orbix? have you tried those? 6o fps istead of 120. still not too bad though. are they made by avtech too? are they triplex too? not alot of info on website.

Reply to
joe

formatting link

DUH, I found the info on the orbix. purchased the Nubix, hope you haven't steered me wrong, Rory dude. ;) Nuby specs looks like a real good unit. thanks

Reply to
joe

yeah its a great unit for the price .. i mean you can get it slightly cheaper in wholesale, but thats the easiest route, the way you went. .... who's rory :-)

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.