Security DVR Advice Needed

A few years back we built a PC-Based Security DVR system for our offices.

Although the base system was top of the line for the time, it never really worked right.

Our problems have always centered around software. The capture card and software packages never worked as advertised and support was nil.

We also have not been able to find a good third party software package.

So I'm looking for options. Can anyone recommend any of the following:

- Windows based security camera software for eight cameras

- Good current input card/software bundle

- A stand alone security DVR for eight cameras

Thanks in advance

Reply to
brad_pitstain
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
pcbutts1

formatting link
:-)

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Buy a purpose built COTS DVR warranty and all and be done with it.

Reply to
J. Sloud

What is a COTS DVR?

Reply to
General Specific

Commercial Off The Shelf.

Reply to
pcbutts1

Pelco isn't bad, but technically it is PC based (runs under Windows platform). Very stable, high frame rate. Good resolution.

Dedicated Micros DS2 series is also very good. Solid reliable, extremely stable. Not as high a frame rate as Pelco, but also much cheaper. Good resolution.

Both are feature rich, support telemetry, and ethernet access, and have support for remote access via port forwarding if broadband is available. Motion recording, trigger input recording, etc etc...

To go a little cheaper look at the Eco series from Dedicated Micros. Not as feature rich, but reliable.

I have first hand experience with a number of these units and have set up lots of them on networks for LAN, Internet, WAN, and VPN access. \\

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I decided to try the GeoVision DVR card and software. I figured I already have the server with gads of memory and hard disk space.

I got the GV-1480 and so far it's working great.

Reply to
General Specific

Ive never had much luck with pc-based servers, due to reliability issues. It seems theres too many support variables with Windows, cards, software etc.

I have experience with some stand alone solutions:

"Dedicated Micros, DS2-DX9C-320" is a rock solid 9 channel DVR that Ive installed a few times without any call backs. Full features are available via web control, but priced out of reach for most of my customers, at around

Also the "Everfocus EDSR9" is a similar product, but with fewer features. Its a good buy if youre only interested in viewing/recording remotely and not concerned with complete remote administration and control. It sells for

1125.00 CDN

JOhn

Reply to
JOhn

Nice buy, check out the DSP output for real time analogue display on a TV or CCTV Monitor.

Also check out the CCTVforum.com for other stuff related to Geo.

As for stand alones, ive used DM and Everfocus (as well as a ton more - just spent a couple years testing DVR after DVR) and found them both a waste of money, the EV crashes like its on drugs, and this is alot of them, not just a couple, and its remote software is horrible. DM is a waste of money on the US side. The GE (used to be Kalatel) is 20 times better and costs less. BY the way EV is not even in the league of DM and no where near GE.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Thanks!

So far the GeoVision is solid.

Reply to
General Specific

All the EVs i used were the 1600's. The 4s may have less issues, but if they have the same software, there are much better units out there for less $$, for example the Active-Tek unit(sold under various names in the US) comes with USB, great remote video software, built in CDR, etc, a truly neat mid range 4 channel DVR (also sold as the Nubix by Eclipse CCTV), and even the AvTech for a real budget, never crashes. AvTechs are also sold under various names in the US.

As for the GE, its not cheap, but cheaper than the imported DMs, with much more powerful network software. I use the StoreSafe Pro, and the DVMRe-CT, the rest i dont bother with right now. If you are in Europe however, you may want to check out the Bosch, Dallmeier, and Baxall DVRs, as the GE can get really expensive on that side.

As for PC cards, i use GeoVision and Iview, and currently working on getting my own cards to write software for, actually same cards Geo uses. The manufacturer really has a great line of cards and accessories.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

formatting link

Reply to
cctvbahamas

also sold as the Nubix :

formatting link
and here also:
formatting link
and wholesale..
formatting link

Reply to
cctvbahamas

which Ev have you used? I've used a few edr400 and have had no troubles. Which GE unit is it that costs less? less cost = mo money!

Reply to
joe

is that the S Korean made Active tech?

Reply to
joe

gracias

Reply to
joe

formatting link

thanks again for the links. that is the s korean company. why is nobody posting pricing on those sites, dadburnit. this is the internet, I want info now.:)

Reply to
joe

rory said they were less expensive, he is not misleading me is he? how come your site doesn't load right in my browser?

Reply to
joe

The DVR is from $400-780 depends which one you buy, which company you buy it from,and if you are an end user or dealer, and can go higher depending where you live. There is one with a CDR and one without, and you can also buy them without HDDs or with.

Those sites generally deal with dealers and wholesale pricing which is why you dont see prices, plus prices change so much. Email them and they WILL quote you a price, all except for Active-Tek..

URIEL is the cheapest as they strictly sell wholesale.

Active-Tek is the manufacturer of the actual case and hardware, the boards as far as I can tell are mass produced by another company which is used by several other korean manufacturers, such as "Nadatel" (main reason being is they both only have 4 channel versions with same specs, and are on the same time line for the release of the 8 and 16 channel versions, this has been the same for a year now).

Active-Tek is even more wholesale than Uriel and will not sell to you unless you are a huge company.

Reply to
cctvbahamas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.