Scantronic 500r+ Noise Solution Advice required (please)

I installed a Scantronic 500r+ wireless control panel + PIR's probably 15 t o 20 years ago. I have a AG6 external bell + strobe unit hard wired. The system has worked reliably since day one then about a month ago the bel l + strobe unit started making more frequent cheeping noises (like very lou d magpies). I tried to solve the problem by trying various tests but finall y figured out that the AG6 tamper switch had become faulty. I bought a repl acement Honeywell AG6 from Amazon and installed - easy, until 2 days later the Scantronic control panel has stated making a low droning noise from the loudspeaker. There is no 'fault' registered in the system but I have had t o temporarily disable the whole system by opening the control panel door. It seems too much like a coincidence that I replace the Ag6 bell + strobe a nd very soon after the control unit speaker starts acting up - as if its pi cking up a feedback signal from somewhere. I've tried Cooper Scantronic but you need to get past the registered instal ler code system ........ I would appreciate any suggestions. Many thanks

Ian MacKenzie

Reply to
ian.mackenzie.abdn
Loading thread data ...

I'd try testing the loop, disconnect the siren loop from the panel then place a like value resistor (diode) directly on the panel loop outputs..

watch system, if that stops the panel buzzing, I look deeper into the loop wiring or EOL R/D..

RTS

I installed a Scantronic 500r+ wireless control panel + PIR's probably 15 to

20 years ago. I have a AG6 external bell + strobe unit hard wired. The system has worked reliably since day one then about a month ago the bell
  • strobe unit started making more frequent cheeping noises (like very loud magpies). I tried to solve the problem by trying various tests but finally figured out that the AG6 tamper switch had become faulty. I bought a replacement Honeywell AG6 from Amazon and installed - easy, until 2 days later the Scantronic control panel has stated making a low droning noise from the loudspeaker. There is no 'fault' registered in the system but I have had to temporarily disable the whole system by opening the control panel door. It seems too much like a coincidence that I replace the Ag6 bell + strobe and very soon after the control unit speaker starts acting up - as if its picking up a feedback signal from somewhere. I've tried Cooper Scantronic but you need to get past the registered installer code system ........ I would appreciate any suggestions. Many thanks

Ian MacKenzie

Reply to
RTS

I don't know about anyone else but if I were an end user, I wouldn't have the faintest idea of what you were talking about.

Reply to
Jim

I've been out of the alarm industry for many years but the problem you're having is probably due to electrolytic capacitors going bad in the power supply. It's not unusual for the filter capacitors to fail in consumer electronics after that many years. An honest alarm tech would recommend replacing the equipment because they don't usually do circuit board repairs and more components could start failing due to the age of the system. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.