Saw spider crawl into control box!

I was wiring up my control box and watched a spider crawl down the wall, through a hole in top of the metal case, then behind the circuit board.

I know that insects have caused problems with computers. Actually this is where the term "computer bug" first originated. There was a bug crawling around on the circuit boards which was causing a computer to crash again and again. The solution was to put screen over the air vents so insects could not get inside.

So I plan to do the same with my control box. Glue fine mesh screen around the sides/top/bottom. Then it will have ventilation, but keep the bugs out.

Anyone know of any problems with insects crawling around on control unit circuit boards? Perhaps this is the cause of some unexplained false alarms?

Reply to
Bill
Loading thread data ...

I've had bugs in panels, usually very dead.

The worst one was a very dead, and very big scorpion. Scared the crap outta me when I opened the box. Whaddya gonna do? Seal up the hole in the wall where the wires come through? How? What if you need to service them.

Personally I wouldn't bother...maybe put a mothball in the panel...or carry a vacuum cleaner.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

eh...you just learn to step over/around them :-)

brown recluse bites rot...very nasty.

black widders don't bother me too much as they're not aggressive like scorpions are. I was out in the garage a couple of nights ago, I keep old canceled accounts and local files out there, while I was looking through the file cabinet I caught a glimpse of something black hanging down from the garage door frame...above my head...big mama black widder. Grabbed a can of WD-40..that was the closest thing...killed her dead. Have you ever squished a pregnant black widder?...holy shit...thousands of babies jump out...wierd.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

When I lived in Arizona, I soon encountered both dead and live scorpions and tarantulas in the house. I bought Raid Fumigators and fogged the place once a month. End of problem. Smoke detectors must be disabled during fogging for about three hours. Fogging seeps into the walls through cracks and holes, so after about three months you won't see much of anything in the house. The biggest danger in AZ is the brown recluse. Did you ever see a bite from one of those? Nasty. I hear Yuma is a hotbed for the black widow. I'm sure glad I'm out of AZ. When I moved back east it took me six months to break the habit of checking the doorframe in the morning for scorpions and checking the steps for rattlesnakes before leaving for work.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Pretty stupid ER...what a shame.

| > brown recluse bites rot...very nasty. | >

| > black widders don't bother me too much as they're not aggressive like | > scorpions are. I was out in the garage a couple of nights ago, I keep old | > canceled accounts and local files out there, while I was looking through | > the | > file cabinet I caught a glimpse of something black hanging down from the | > garage door frame...above my head...big mama black widder. Grabbed a can | > of | > WD-40..that was the closest thing...killed her dead. Have you ever | > squished | > a pregnant black widder?...holy shit...thousands of babies jump | > out...wierd. | >

| Yep, and every one of those thousands you have to track down and kill or | they'll come back to get you. We have the brown recluse here in Tennessee, | too. A six year old boy near Nashville was bitten by one a couple of months | ago and died. His mom brought him to the ER and told them the kid had been | bitten by a spider. The doc said no, it was just a cold or flu. Two days | later the kid was dead. Such is the medical industry these days. So, if you | get bit, better find a doc across the border in Mexico. When I worked there, | people said the medical care there is far superior to that in the U.S. | | Bob | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yep, and every one of those thousands you have to track down and kill or they'll come back to get you. We have the brown recluse here in Tennessee, too. A six year old boy near Nashville was bitten by one a couple of months ago and died. His mom brought him to the ER and told them the kid had been bitten by a spider. The doc said no, it was just a cold or flu. Two days later the kid was dead. Such is the medical industry these days. So, if you get bit, better find a doc across the border in Mexico. When I worked there, people said the medical care there is far superior to that in the U.S.

Bob

Reply to
Robertm

Spiders and other small insects cause problems when they get inside motion detectors. I have seen huge colonies of roaches & ants inside many alarm panels here in Florida, with no ill affects. I use silicone to seal the motions and panel entry holes.

Jim Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

I took a 15 year old Yuasa out of neglected panel a few months back...sides of it bulged out so much it deformed the panel door, it was just lead pebbles inside battery...made noise like a rattle. Radx 6112 still running!...a little warm but still worked.

| > I know that insects have caused problems with computers. Actually this is | > where the term "computer bug" first originated. There was a bug crawling | > around on the circuit boards which was causing a computer to crash again | > and | > again. The solution was to put screen over the air vents so insects could | > not get inside. | >

| > So I plan to do the same with my control box. Glue fine mesh screen around | > the sides/top/bottom. Then it will have ventilation, but keep the bugs | > out. | >

| > Anyone know of any problems with insects crawling around on control unit | > circuit boards? Perhaps this is the cause of some unexplained false | > alarms? | >

| >

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Robert wrote: We use screen printing mesh that we cut into small squares. This allows air movement but keeps out the bugs. The mesh is made of nylon and never wears out. Using a 80 to 120 count mesh works great. We also use it on all our outdoor installs to provide a weep hole so any moisture has a place to drain out, but keeps the ants out. A small amount of silicone keeps the square in place.

Reply to
robert

Screen mesh is a good idea- Never completely seal a control panel, since the battery vents small amounts of hydrogen gas when charging.

Reply to
Stanley Barthfarkle

Scorpions are one reason why I like living in BC... There are none here. No Black "Widders" or Brown Recluses either. We just have to contend with "Hobo" spiders.

Reply to
Frank Olson

Yah, but you also got that funny white stuff on the ground..right?

| > The worst one was a very dead, and very big scorpion. Scared the crap | > outta | > me when I opened the box. | > Whaddya gonna do? Seal up the hole in the wall where the wires come | > through? | > How? What if you need to service them. | >

| > Personally I wouldn't bother...maybe put a mothball in the panel...or | > carry | > a vacuum cleaner. | | | Scorpions are one reason why I like living in BC... There are none here. | No Black "Widders" or Brown Recluses either. We just have to contend with | "Hobo" spiders. | | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

fall down, go boom, ouchie.

actually i used to be a quite good skier...then i got old and much lazy and get my thrills in my Mootang GT.

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Yeah... but then we strap a coupla well waxed two-by-fours to our feet and it's "yeeee-hawww"!

Reply to
Frank Olson

My old 66 Ford Falcon straight six convertable was cool too...I could get that baby up to 85 or so with a tail wind. I was really fun to get it up to

40 or so then throw it into reverse just before I'd pull into our driveway...just to hear dad curse from inside the house :-)

Ahhhhh teenagers!

| > actually i used to be a quite good skier...then i got old and much lazy | > and | > get my thrills in my Mootang GT. | | | Ford => Yuck!!! I'll take my '68 Skylark any day. 455 cid. 4" header | dump that's activated by pulling out the ash-tray... "sweet" ride. Sucks | gas by the barrel though... I call her my "Camaro Killer". She was the | family car until I bought her off my Mom. Had a 350 long block in her and a | two speed slush box. Nice car to work on. Absolutely *no* anti-pollution | garbage anywhere. And no "dang" computer controlling dwell, spark, timing, | etc. :-)) | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Ford => Yuck!!! I'll take my '68 Skylark any day. 455 cid. 4" header dump that's activated by pulling out the ash-tray... "sweet" ride. Sucks gas by the barrel though... I call her my "Camaro Killer". She was the family car until I bought her off my Mom. Had a 350 long block in her and a two speed slush box. Nice car to work on. Absolutely *no* anti-pollution garbage anywhere. And no "dang" computer controlling dwell, spark, timing, etc. :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Don't it make ya wish you coulda hung on to her, though?? Them cars from the 60's sure do rock... I know a couple of guys with '64.5 Mustangs (one's a customer of ours). Real "cherries". What year's your 'Stang??

Reply to
Frank Olson

Take a few lessons and things get much better. There are very few things as thrilling as making first tracks in deep powder.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

That stupid old 6 Falcon ( I used to call it a Ferd Falcar) goes for about

16K now. My

Mootang is a '00 GT, 5 spd with 17" Eagles...pretty dang quick for being basically stock...a lotta bang for the buck. I didn't drive it much the first 3 years I had her so she's only got 38K miles on. I gotta buy a new truck soon though :-(....I was thinkin maybe I can get Jesse James to make my Stang into a pickup truck?! Wouldn't that be a cool company vehicle? Fastest service truck in the area!

| > Ahhhhh teenagers! | | | Don't it make ya wish you coulda hung on to her, though?? Them cars from | the 60's sure do rock... I know a couple of guys with '64.5 Mustangs (one's | a customer of ours). Real "cherries". What year's your 'Stang?? | |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

I was expert in my younger days. I know how, just the body aint willing these days.

| Bass Home Electronics | 2291 Pine View Circle | Sarasota · Florida · 34231 | 941-925-9747 Sales & Tech Support |

formatting link
| =============================>

| |

Reply to
Crash Gordon

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.