RS232 on RJ45 (RS-232D)

Is there an adaptor to change a 9 pin D to a Rj45? I want to send RS232 from a cash register serial port to the DVR over CAT5.

Reply to
G. Morgan
Loading thread data ...

Yes there is.

Jm Rojas

Reply to
Jim Rojas

Thanks.. You know where I might procure one?

Reply to
G. Morgan

Ah hah,

formatting link

That's what I need.

Reply to
G. Morgan

cyberguys.com

Reply to
Steve

formatting link
Perfect! Thanks.

Reply to
G. Morgan

There are couple different pinouts out there so be careful. Here is a link to TIA-561 that seems to be a bit more common than others:

formatting link
Good luck!

D~

##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via

formatting link
Internet Knowledge Base for the security industry no-spam access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.security.alarms - 20605 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##

Reply to
DA

It might be necessary to get pin-out's of both devices and be sure the adapter and Cat 5 is wired correctly.

Some Cat 5 to D 25 or D 9 pin adapters come with the wires loose and you can arrange them any way you need to.

Hopefully you have the instruction manuals for the cash register and the DVR

*and* these manuals say which pin is what for their serial ports.

In some cases you would run the wires "straight through" connection to connection (like computer to modem), in other cases you would need to "cross" the connections and tie some wires together such as computer to computer wiring. Following is some info...

formatting link

Reply to
Bill

Thanks. It turns out the boss ordered some cables today from American Video Equipment, before I got to submit my order. I'll try it his way first. What I plan on doing is connecting my laptop right to the cash register first with a USB to Serial interface and use Hyperterm to make sure the data is clean. Then I'll use the laptop at the DVR end after the connections are done to verify data before hooking up to the DVR. I'm new to POS integration so this is gonna be fun.

Reply to
G. Morgan

AVE makes VSI Pro (among others) interface which they configure for virtually every cash register you're likely to see. You usually need the VSI PRO and a cable, plus a data converter. The converters mostly cost the same as the cables. The VSI PRO is more but it's a no-brainer to set up.

Here's a chart of register makes and models with the AVE parts.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

every cash register you're likely to see. You usually

cost the same as the cables. The VSI PRO is more but

Yeah, thats what he ordered, part# Com-Cable (06-047) for Samsung ER650. I already have the VSI-Pro's.

Reply to
G. Morgan

call these guys they'll help you out

formatting link

G. Morgan wrote:

every cash register you're likely to see. You usually

cost the same as the cables. The VSI PRO is more but

Reply to
mouath

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.