Ring My Bell

I have to say even after a couple decades in the business I still find new ways to do something dumb. I was working on a jobsite over the weekend and got a 4 foot drill bit stuck in a hole. After I had the wire tied on of course. I gave the wire a yank and the drill came flying out to crack me butt end first right on the chin. A little higher or a little lower and I might not be typing this message. It hit hard enough to ring my bell and stagger me slightly. I was on a ladder at the time. Fortunately, I maintained my balance, just barely. I guess my misspent youth helped with that some. LOL.

Reply to
Bob La Londe
Loading thread data ...

Ain't it amazing all the interesting ways we can find to hurt ourselves?

If were ever to write a book about installing alarms it would be called, 'Blood, Sweat and Tools' - Because I generally leave a little of each behind on every job...

Reply to
JoeRaisin

Ouch!

A long time ago I was pre-wiring a house and stopped to talk with an electrician. For some reason I was spinning the chuck of a 1/2 Milwaukee with the trigger. Next thing I know it caught in my shirt and rolled up and smacked me in the chin! Just my pride was hurt...

Reply to
G. Morgan

Well, I guess I can't miss the chance to tell my famous story.

Picture this. It's the middle of the winter on a Friday. Working on a house under construction. There's a blizzard predicted to start during the day b ut I show up alone on the job early in the morning and start predrilling. N o other contractors show up so I have the whole house to myself. Figure it' ll go quick and I can get home before it gets too bad. Starts blowin and sn owin just as I get there but I start working anyway. I park the van around the back of the house just because it was easier to get my tools inside thr ough the rear sliding glass door. I have a 1/2 horse power Makita drill ( n ot a right angle, just regular handle) So, I set up the generator and I'm w orking along for at least a couple/few hours, all alone, fast as I can. usi ng a one inch auger bit. Welllll. the bit gets stuck, spins the handle of t he drill and wraps the cord around my hand with the cord pressed against th e trigger. My hand is twisted so that I'm pinned up against he wall. I've t ied a knot between the cord of the drill and the extension cord so I can't pull the plug. I'm there for about 10/15 minutes, my hand twisted and feeli ng like it was going to ... or had already been broken and the drill is sta rting to heat up because I can't release the trigger. I'd just filled the 3 gallon tank of the generator.

The fact that I made one mistake setting up, got me out of the predicament. I "always" tie the extension cord to the generator so it doesn't pull out. When the situation reached a critical point, I figured I was just going to have to cut the electrical cord and hope I didn't get electrocuted, I tried pulling on the extension cord going to the generator, thinking that maybe I could get it to stall if I pulled it up the side of the foundation, ..... . the plug that I forgot to tie, pulled out of the generator.

I started packing up (with one hand) immediately.

But .... fate wasn't done with me yet. I looked out the front of the house down the entry road for the first time since I started and there were snow drifts all over the place. I get the van loaded and go to drive out from a round the back of the house and there were snow drifts at least up to the w indshield on either side of the house with no other way out. So ..... I did what any other totally pissed off at himself asshole would do ..... I back ed up to the edge of the property line and probably hit the snow drift doin g 40. Fortunately it was all powder and I just kept right on acceleration t ill I got to the paved part of the road.

My hand wasn't broken but it sure was sore and took a long time before it w as back to normal. I bit the bullet and bought a right angle drill. Before that, I could never figure out why everyone used a right angle drill (WITH A F%*@ TRIGGER GUARD!)

Reply to
Jim

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.