Residential grade door controllers

Hi,

I want to rent an appartment by the week and I need to conceive a pretty neat setup to let people in.

I want to have a keypad on the exterior door connected to an door access controller.

I then hook up a PC to the controller and feed access codes automatically to it with a program on the computer (probably a linux box) through a serial RS-232 interface.

Do anybody know of a cheap setup that could do this. I only found big solutions for business use (meaning access controllers that handle holidays, 500 codes and up, etc.) I just need to feed it a couple of codes (5 max). The computer would update the access controller's list of codes. I would like also to handle start dates and expiry dates on certain access codes.

I found access controllers that cost 200$ US and keypads that cost 300$ US + electronic strike that cost 300$US.

I once worked with Kantech equipement at a former employer and it did what I want but I remember how all that cost to my boss.

Are there residential grade components out there?

Reply to
hhcuriosity
Loading thread data ...

As with this and many other things, the key is finding the right words to use to search for what you are looking for!

I first tried searching google.com for "access control" x10 and had no luck. "x10" is wiring up your home to control lights, heating, whatever by computer.

So the I tried searching google.com for "access control" locks and found the first link below (Lodging Systems), then clicked on "VACATION RENTAL SYSTEMS" and found the second link.

Lodging Systems (key/code)...

formatting link
Oracode 660K is an electronic pushbutton lock that grants access through a time-sensitive code. Access can be granted from anywhere in the world...
formatting link
Google search for more...
formatting link

Reply to
Bill

i've installed one of these for a low-security project... went pretty well and the learning curve is very easy with the text menus on screen... you'd also need a door strike and a transformers (i don't think it came with one)

formatting link
there's no hookup to a computer but you can do all the programming right from the keypad anyway... and after you've added and deleted a code once it's simple after that... won't even need the manual... you can either use a code or an access card or both to open the door

as long as you don't have many power failures in your area you should be good with that

not too sure about the cost... but probably not too expensive or we wouldn't have used it on that project

ps - if you're going to go with the small keychain-sized access cards... order extra... they don't work for long on keychains with careless people... i've already had to replace a couple in the past few months and i don't think they leave the office

Reply to
shady

If the PC interface isnt a big issue, then use a IEI 212i Set the master then assign each tenant a code. They do have there HUB system which will interface with the computer. Keypad cost about 200$ canadian, and a rutherford 6 series door strike shouldnt be more than 185$.

Kantech makes the KT-100 standalone controller that will do the same idea with prox cards, but im not sure how much they sell for.

Reply to
Devin

Two places to check for low end access products are:

formatting link
Hi,

Reply to
bdolph

Just one door with no time restrictions is a way to keep this a simple project.

For simple self-contained systems, check with a company like:

formatting link
I would consider a self-contained unit with everything built into the handle. (no electric doorstrike).

You may have a security problem if all that is required is that the tenants enter a number to access the door. Workman need access codes...Managers need codes...Meter readers need codes. Tenants will give their codes to outside people and eventually you will not have any control over who knows the codes.

Better systems, with logging, key fobs or proximity key cards, and entry time restrictions will cost you more. Multiple doors on the same system will cost you more. Managing the whole thing on a computer will cost you more.

formatting link
provides intermediate valued systems that do these functions.

For systems with all the bells and whistles, check with a company like this:

formatting link
Beachcomber

Reply to
Beachcomber

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.